News Reimagined Toontown coming

TP2000

I wonder if people you don’t know enjoy you taking random pictures of them

Oh, I wasn't at the park yesterday. I live almost 400 miles away, and was at home recovering from a rather boozy Irish-themed dinner party I went to the night before. Those aren't photos I took myself. :)

In order to further the discussion here on this discussion board ("A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words!"), I find these photos by using Google as a search engine for "images", or via Google scanning the very popular Social Media accounts of hundreds of Disneyland fans that constantly upload park photos onto Social Media accounts that are then seen by millions of people every day. It's very easy, really!

TP2000

The tree itself looks fine and nobody would criticize it IF Disney didn't hype it up to be "inspired by the tree Walt Disney used to lay under and dream." It doesn't feel genuine and raises more questions than it should. What about this is inspired by Walt Disney?

This is exactly it. The tree itself is fine. The lanterns are even kind of fun looking. The roots are stupid and are not aesthetically pleasing. And the weird plastic ground covering is giving it mini-golf vibes. But overall, it's just a tree.

What we're dealing with here is a Disney that can't control itself by belching out smarmy, fake, vapid words to explain a tree. Plus ambitious concept art that looks nothing like what the reality was going to be. "Walt Disney's Dreaming Tree!" they called it. And issued reams of press releases about it, suddenly tying this very special tree into the genesis story of Walt's entire career and the Company and culture he created. o_O

2021-DLR-Mickeys-Toontown-Dream-Tree-Concept-Art.png

And then look how it turned out. It makes you not able to trust Disney when they say stuff. And that's not good, and is the core problem here with this otherwise innocent tree with party lanterns and cheap looking fake roots. :rolleyes:

Frn35qQaUAAVz3f

Now I'm imagining Walt Disney laying on bouncy playground floor material in a McDonald's play place imagining his bright future. It feels tacky- I hope there is no reference to Walt around this realized tree.

Thankfully, if there was a reference to Walt planned for it, they seem to have pulled it or cancelled it. The only text or point of reference for it being "Walt Disney's Dreaming Tree!" from the smarmy PR is one of the roots has the word "dream" in English and Braille written on one of the trip hazards roots.

OCR-L-DISNEYLAND-TOONTOWN-0317-JG-21.jpg

mickEblu

The tree itself looks fine and nobody would criticize it IF Disney didn't hype it up to be "inspired by the tree Walt Disney used to lay under and dream." It doesn't feel genuine and raises more questions than it should. What about this is inspired by Walt Disney? Now I'm imagining Walt Disney laying on bouncy playground floor material in a McDonald's play place imagining his bright future. It feels tacky- I hope there is no reference to Walt around this realized tree.

Coming Soon to Six Flags: Experience Colonel Sander's Dreaming Chicken Wing. He would sit next to it and imagine all of the KFC he was going to fry one day.
Now you too have the opportunity to sit next to the dreaming wing. If you dream hard enough, you might even smell fried chicken. Located behind the KFC dumpsters, Only at Six Flags.

Oh man how I can’t unsee McDonalds Play Place. The lack of execution on the roots is baffling. Looks like fallen branches. Awful.
This is exactly it. The tree itself is fine. The lanterns are even kind of fun looking. The roots are stupid and are not aesthetically pleasing. And the weird plastic ground covering is giving it mini-golf vibes. But overall, it's just a tree.

What we're dealing with here is a Disney that can't control itself by belching out smarmy, fake, vapid words to explain a tree. Plus ambitious concept art that looks nothing like what the reality was going to be. "Walt Disney's Dreaming Tree!" they called it. And issued reams of press releases about it, suddenly tying this very special tree into the genesis story of Walt's entire career and the Company and culture he created. o_O

2021-DLR-Mickeys-Toontown-Dream-Tree-Concept-Art.png

And then look how it turned out. It makes you not able to trust Disney when they say stuff. And that's not good, and is the core problem here with this otherwise innocent tree with party lanterns and cheap looking fake roots. :rolleyes:

Frn35qQaUAAVz3f

Thankfully, if there was a reference to Walt planned for it, they seem to have pulled it or cancelled it. The only text or point of reference for it being "Walt Disney's Dreaming Tree!" from the smarmy PR is one of the roots has the word "dream" in English and Braille written on one of the trip hazards roots.

OCR-L-DISNEYLAND-TOONTOWN-0317-JG-21.jpg

God it’s so bad. Lol. Do we know if this type of tree is a fast grower? I’m comparing to the concept art and see that they may have purposely picked that tree because it was the closest they could find to the actual “Dreaming tree” with that one low large branch coming branching out. Are they actually trying to make this tree look like that particular tree branch for branch? Lol. I thought it was more of a symbolic thing. If this is some attempt at picking the Dreaming Tree’s twin, it’s just another example of they have been prioritizing their skewed view of “story” over placemaking, immersion and aesthetics. With that said there is no excuse for the poor implementation of the fake roots on the ground. Unless, of course they “grow” as the tree gets bigger. Maybe the concept art was showing Dreaming Tree 2045.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

These will be gone in one year after kids trip on them or climb and fall off of them.

It amazes me no one at TDA remembers what happened with the play areas of Toon Town 1.0.

I think this too and genuinely hope we’re both wrong.

One of my first thoughts watching the opening day videos is this land looks very fun for kids and it reminds me of the playgrounds we had as kids, before the world decided to bubble wrap everything, hopefully with the soft ground it’ll stick around but I suspect the first broken arm from a fall will result in a massive lawsuit and unfortunately the end of the fun.

TP2000

God it’s so bad. Lol. Do we know if this type of tree is a fast grower? I’m comparing to the concept art and see that they may have purposely picked that tree because it was the closest they could find to the actual “Dreaming tree” with that one low large branch coming branching out. Are they actually trying to make this tree look like that particular tree branch for branch? Lol. I thought it was more of a symbolic thing. If this is some attempt at picking the Dreaming Tree’s twin, it’s just another example of they have been prioritizing their skewed view of “story” over placemaking, immersion and aesthetics. With that said there is no excuse for the poor implementation of the fake roots on the ground. Unless, of course they “grow” as the tree gets bigger. Maybe the concept art was showing Dreaming Tree 2045.

It's difficult to say what they were going for here. The tree itself almost seems like an afterthought. I kind of feel sorry for it now! 🤣

The tree will obviously leaf out more this spring. It's still in shock from transplanting, and needs a good season of growth. But even five years from now, assuming the fake roots haven't been removed per Legal, the whole "Dreaming Tree!" space is not going to look much different.

I just found this unique angle, taken yesterday from the wheelchair ramp access up to Goofy's playhouse, looking north.
Mickeys-Toontown-Reopening-Day-Disneyland-March-19-2023-47.jpg

If you fast forward five years, and you get the Disneyland Horticulture Department to bombard this tree with industrial strength fertilizers made from the finest Petroleum byproducts that Texas oil fields can produce, you could get some great growth and greening. The fake AstroTurf lawn in Toontown is already Hosted by Monsanto, so why shouldn't the real trees be too?!?

I took the photo above and grew the branches and fleshed out the leaves and canopy quite a bit, showing what the tree might be able to look like by Summer 2028 or so. But you've still got the AstroTurf and PlayPlace Padding and fake roots going on, so.... 🤔

Grow Dammit!.jpg

TP2000

View attachment 704946View attachment 704947
After seeing the land in person, I am 99% sure they’re going to connect Toontown to Star Wars land, or an entirely new land they build up here.

The area is literally just a wide, spacious walkway to a wall (that perfectly lines up with where a Galaxy’s Edge tunnel would go).

Even if they would start construction tomorrow (they aren’t) it would still take them years to complete, so makes perfect sense for them to make a rest area at the moment, but connecting the pathways is definitely in their master plan.

I agree with you. Even if it hasn't been approved, or may never be approved, they're giving themselves an easier job in the future by leaving the old Chip & Dale Treehouse area relatively open and unassuming. This could link to a walkway leading to/from both Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, and whatever land uses the 10 acre expansion plot northwest of this area.

That said, I still chuckle at this sudden and widespread use of AstroTurf in Disneyland. Up until now, this would have been planned as a paved area with some benches or patio tables. Now it's AstroTurf, without any furniture or seating. Why? 🧐

This is also a perfect back corner for Disneyland Gangs or Crummy Teen AP's or various Ne'er Do Wells to hang out and stake out their "turf", astro or otherwise.

c00d33a3-0a71-4373-8848-fc7029b55ea6-jpeg.704947

TP2000

Honestly, at first glance I thought this was a scene from Disney’s ‘Dick Tracy’.
Remember that movie….?

-

Yes! Not only do I remember it, but I remember when Michael Eisner said publicly there would be a Dick Tracy dark ride built at Disneyland.

EDIT: Um... so we can now type Dick Tracy on this site? Can we also now type the name of Disney Legend, Dick Nunis?

EDIT 2: Oh my gosh! The naughty word software got fixed! We don't have to call him Richard Nunis any longer! Hooray for maturity! 🥳

mickEblu

Yes! Not only do I remember it, but I remember when Michael Eisner said publicly there would be a Dick Tracy dark ride built at Disneyland.

EDIT: Um... so we can now type Dick Tracy on this site? Can we also now type the name of Disney Legend, Dick Nunis?

EDIT 2: Oh my gosh! The naughty word software got fixed! We don't have to call him Richard Nunis any longer! Hooray for maturity! 🥳

Dick Van !

EDIT: apparently not all the words got fixed. :(

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

It's difficult to say what they were going for here. The tree itself almost seems like an afterthought. I kind of feel sorry for it now! 🤣

The tree will obviously leaf out more this spring. It's still in shock from transplanting, and needs a good season of growth. But even five years from now, assuming the fake roots haven't been removed per Legal, the whole "Dreaming Tree!" space is not going to look much different.

I just found this unique angle, taken yesterday from the wheelchair ramp access up to Goofy's playhouse, looking north.
Mickeys-Toontown-Reopening-Day-Disneyland-March-19-2023-47.jpg

If you fast forward five years, and you get the Disneyland Horticulture Department to bombard this tree with industrial strength fertilizers made from the finest Petroleum byproducts that Texas oil fields can produce, you could get some great growth and greening. The fake AstroTurf lawn in Toontown is already Hosted by Monsanto, so why shouldn't the real trees be too?!?

I took the photo above and grew the branches and fleshed out the leaves and canopy quite a bit, showing what the tree might be able to look like by Summer 2028 or so. But you've still got the AstroTurf and PlayPlace Padding and fake roots going on, so.... 🤔

View attachment 705083

Remember the days when Disneyland horticulture were the best in the business? The place advertised a world class horticulture department for decades.

In the past year they've been reduced to astroturf, and whatever the heck this is supposed to be.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

It's a play area, not a garden.
I know you like to give Disney passes, but what Sudden said is absolutely true and they weren’t referring to Toontown alone, but the entire park.

There could be a number of sensible reasons why the horticulture side if Disneyland is different now (drought, understaffed, etc.), but the truth is the truth.

Phroobar

I think we were all expecting an artificial tree similar to Tarzan's treehouse tree. This one looks like the same species of tree that stood in the Pirates queue and outside of Indiana Jones. I'm surprised they didn't plan three or four of these in that area. You see these everywhere at Disneyland.

How come they couldn't just copy this one?
iu

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom