Refurb Petition! WHat the ####?!

mbly

wow

it's our families first trip to WDW.If all three rides are closed we will all be extremely sad. Haunted mansion and rnrc are the ones we really looked forward to.I know I'll feel cheated. But what can you do? They need to refurb the rides sometime right? Maybe thats the reason they offered the free dining plan. I do hope that this rumor is wrong.

wvdisneyfamily

I agree that it is just bad timing for all of this to happen at once. I am glad to see work being done because some things have been neglected too long in pursuit of other interests. However, my original point was when someone complains that something will be closed and they're bummed because it's during their trip, can't we just say "I'm sorry that you're disappointed but you'll still have a good time" instead of thinking of every possible negative, crude, rude, or hostile remark that can be made? This is a fan board not a put-down board.
In the greater perspective I realize that the closing of a couple of rides is insignificant. There are a million other things to do. Some people would be glad to get to go to WDW even with big attractions closed. A person can still be thankful for opportunities and continue living their life; being bummed or disappointed doesn't prevent that.
Each day we have the ability to make someone's day better or make it worse. Why make it worse by belittling their disappointments or feelings? Be supportive and try to bless someone's life everyday; say something (or do something) to make it better.:)

sillyspook13

Even though that the dates are VERY tentative for the RNRC refurb I completely agree with what you said.

The timing of the SSE and HM reburbs is HORRIBLE. I still can not understand why Disney would choose to close two major attractions during peak season... :shrug: They could have very easily held off until late September and then done each refurb while park attendance is down.
Labor Day is the last day of the summer peak season.;)

JCorduroy

Honestly, it should be expected. Rides need to be repaired, and Disney picks the most strategic times to do so. HM needs to be back open for MNSSHP, SSE needs to be back up around the winter rush, and RnRC probably needs some TLC to make sure it keeps running for 95% of the year.

I would be upset as well if the rides were closed on my vacation - but honestly there's a TON of other stuff to do at the parks! If you're that much of a thrill junkie at MGM, hop on ToT. Looking for a good dark ride at MK? Pirates, Peter Pan, Snow White, Pooh - I'll even toss in the WEDWay People Mover for free. :) SSE has been in desperate need of a refurb for a good long time now - we should be happy it's finally getting the attention it deserves. Hop on some of the newer rides, or classics - Nemo, Soarin', Test Track, Maelstrom, El Rio (can't remember the new name - been up for far too long today).

And, at the end of the day, there's always Everest. :)

WED10IA

I just got back and I do think Disney could have held off on SSE and HM until Peak Season. I mean we didn't get a discount of free dining so why not do it during the off season?? Oh well still had a great time and even snuck in SSE a couple days before it closed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There is less and less of an `off peak` at WDW each year. These things happen. The HM would have been done and open by now if things had gone to plan, but things don`t always go to plan - refurbs on the scale of SSE, HM etc. are very complex and other `influences` can upset the timetable, as happened with the HM. When can a 4 month long rehab take place and not impact on a peak time? If you think this is bad wait until Space Mountain. Or should it be stuck in 1975 forever?

I survived a closure of the WEDWay, Space Mountain AND the Star Jets at the same time. I`ll be surviving the closure of SSE this October. A world war or nearly being killed in an RTA are disasters. Having 2 or 3 attractions closed out of over a hundered is a minor inconvienience.

gotribe07

...and had the Haunted Mansion closed for the Halloween season and all of the MNSSHP parties... (people that pay $40 a ticket won't really mind having the mansion closed...)

...and shifted the 4-month-long Spaceship Earth closure to be from late-September through late-January...(Thanksgiving and Christmas don't bring in all THAT many people, so it won't bother anyone, right?)

If WDW scheduled refurbs so that only one "major" attraction was closed across the ENTIRE property at any given time, and then only in the "slow" periods, things would never get refurbed. (each attraction would close only once every 14-15 years by my rough estimation) "Sorry Everest, I know there's dust and mold everywhere, and that the Yeti's arm just fell off, but you're gonna have to wait until the spring of 2021"

-Rob

Well where do I start...

First of all, I'm talking about a peak SEASON for attendence not the 3 weeks of high attendance around Christmas. The summer months at WDW offer 3 months of very high attendance.

And as for your statement about HM being open for Holloween, I understand what you're saying BUT disney could have very easily began the refurb midway through the summer and been complete with PLENTY of time to spare before Holloween.

Also, it's not like HM or SSE were falling apart so your whole thing about Everest is totally bogus and pointless. Look, I know you love WDW and I love it too but it's ok to question Disney's decisions if they do not make any sense!

As for you saying theres no "slow" periods. Have you been to WDW in the middle of October? If so, you'll know that the most you will ever wait for a ride is abotu 30 min. Also, what about January and February where is quite common for the overnight lows to dip into the lower 50's and upper 40's? I'm sure people love walking around WDW while getting frost bit. :hammer:

PurpleDragon

One thing people are forgetting is the peak season for WDW is in the fall/winter and not the summer. They have Halloween and Christmas celebrations that bring in more guests than anytime during the summer.

I just got back from a trip last week and I have to say it was crowded, but good lord it was nothing in comparison to what it was when I went around Thanksgiving a few years ago. Yes the summer season is a longer stretch, but the number of guests in the park at any given time is nothing compared to the crowds in the park during the fall/winter season during the holiday celebrations.

Whether you like it or not, summer is considered off-peak season at WDW, which means they use that time for refurbs and repairs. If you don't like it, then plan your next trip for the peak season when all attractions are scheduled to be open.

Miss Bell

It always makes me sad when my favorites are down for refurb (and definitely would be upset about those three being down,) but it does give you an excuse to start planning your next trip...:)

Dayma

IMO I congradulate Disney for keeping everything up to date. If they didn't people would complain also.

bgraham34

I hate seeing rides closed when I make a visit. And if its one of my favorite attractions I am not happy. But the only thing you can do is come back next year and enjoy the ride you missed even more.

righttrack

The timing of the SSE and HM reburbs is HORRIBLE. I still can not understand why Disney would choose to close two major attractions during peak season... :shrug: They could have very easily held off until late September and then done each refurb while park attendance is down.

Right. Going in August and those two attractions are most definitely "people eaters". What is the rest of the parks going to be like with those to major, major, signature attractions down? Certainly one could have waited until Sept. bad planning, bad timing.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Right. Going in August and those two attractions are most definitely "people eaters". What is the rest of the parks going to be like with those to major, major, signature attractions down?
This will be the 3rd time SSE has shut since 1982 - in 1994 it was for just as long - and the park and guests survived, as they will again. The UoEs HRC is 1930, SSE is 2400, Test Track is 1600, Seas with Nemo 2200 (just 284 less per hour than The Living Seas) - there`s plenty to soak up the load, though I admit WoL would help.
Certainly one could have waited until Sept. bad planning, bad timing.
What? And have either closed until January? Doubtful. As I mentioned earlier, the HM wasn`t planned to happen like this.
Also, it's not like HM or SSE were falling apart so your whole thing about Everest is totally bogus and pointless..
Really? The HM was a mess. Apart from the obvious, earlier this year - thankfully out of hours - the ride system proved this. The company learnt after DLCs Space Mountain debacle not to leave it until the last minute ever again.

wvdisneyfamily

Really? The HM was a mess. Apart from the obvious, earlier this year - thankfully out of hours - the ride system proved this.

When were there last July a lot of the effects were subpar. Madame Leota was especially in poor shape. I'm excited to see the changes, but sad:( because it's one of those "Disney feeling" rides that I'll miss on this year's trip. However, the changes just give me an excuse to go back next year...:sohappy:

shoppingnut

Well where do I start...

First of all, I'm talking about a peak SEASON for attendence not the 3 weeks of high attendance around Christmas. The summer months at WDW offer 3 months of very high attendance.

And as for your statement about HM being open for Holloween, I understand what you're saying BUT disney could have very easily began the refurb midway through the summer and been complete with PLENTY of time to spare before Holloween.

Also, it's not like HM or SSE were falling apart so your whole thing about Everest is totally bogus and pointless. Look, I know you love WDW and I love it too but it's ok to question Disney's decisions if they do not make any sense!

As for you saying theres no "slow" periods. Have you been to WDW in the middle of October? If so, you'll know that the most you will ever wait for a ride is abotu 30 min. Also, what about January and February where is quite common for the overnight lows to dip into the lower 50's and upper 40's? I'm sure people love walking around WDW while getting frost bit. :hammer:

HM needs to be open for the first MNSSHP which is September 14. And, yes, HM is in bad shape, lots of the effects are not working properly, the speakers in the doombuggies don't all work and there are lots of other things that need to be repaired. Disney has learned from their mistake in CA of letting rides go so long without rehabs.

I was disappointed when Small World was down for over a year and the rehab was supposed to be much shorter, but they ran into problems with asbestos which had to be removed.

40's and 50's is tolerable when appropriate attired. You might be cold, but come on, frost bite.

There is no real slow season anymore, the crowds are back.

chrisdadrocks

Refurbs...

They have to happen some time, when I went on my honeymoon with the ex Tower was closed and space mountian. I am going solo so when i was planning I tried to get info on when things were being closed down. I wanted to ride SSE so I changed my plans from September to November so I could ride it. I know it is not an option for most but planing and getting information and decieding what you want to do is key. I am so happy that disney cares enough to updated and take care of thier rides unlike some other companies.

disneydudette

My frustration comes solely from the RRC rumored closure and also the Tusker House...

Yes... I understand that September is one of the, if not the, slowest time of year for Disney. I understand that by choosing to travel during that time, that I can very well expect ride closures due to the crowd levels, and how it's an aspect of traveling during "low season". But... thats the only time my schedule allows me to travel, and while I consider it "lucky" this year is proving to be anything but.

I just went on vacation in January and RRC (SpM as well) was down. I knew it would be down, but with that closure... MGM was a nightmare on EMH nights and the park was knocked out in half a day since we couldn't "flip flop" between ToT and RRC like we have on past trips.

I won't say "we scheduled another trip in Sept to JUST ride RRC" but it was a good incentive to go back down. Of course, we all know that we're going for free food :slurp: but it was going to be a nice kick-back trip and ride the attractions that we haven't been or unable to go on in years. One of those attractions was SSE, which I haven't expereinced since 2002. But to be honest, I'd rather see a full overhaul of the ride (like HM) and experience the brand new attraction on a future trip.

The tusker house closure is just an absolute joke in my opinion. I understand the need for "timing" closures... but to close 1 of 3 CS locations during Free Dinning period is absolutely rediculous. That leaves the entire park with 2 CS or even eateries in general (Y&Y will not be on the DDP) which is going to be a nightmare at peak lunch and dinner times. Sure my food is free and I shouldn't complain, but I know not everybody down there will be on this package... and I'm sure hour(+) long lines (which you see even when all three are open at times) will upset everyone.

Overall... I guess we have to take everything with a grain of salt. I can't help but think of families who only get to travel to Disney once in a "lifetime" and can't expereince these 3 attractions. Sure... it has to happen on someones vacation, and I guess I'm that someone, but as another poster said... how would you like it? Who knows when we'll be back down...

Peterwhite171

The thing that has really bothered me about this RNRC refurb is that they have yet to announce the dates officially via the operational updates page on the website and it really is a bit late now for a September date since it's only two months to go.

If I remember correctly, when RNRC went down back in Jan Disney announced it would do so three months before it went down. Why can't they do it in October since thats also a slower month?

Slipknot

Try the day after Thanksgiving to a week or two after New Years. Where did you come up with just 3 weeks?

gotribe07 said:

And you know exactly what they need to do and how long it will take? Please share!!!

gotribe07 said:
Also, it's not like HM or SSE were falling apart so your whole thing about Everest is totally bogus and pointless.

I do believe they were being SARCASTIC. :rolleyes:

gotribe07 said:

I work at WDW. There are no real 'slow' times any more, attendance wise (maybe mid January and February but not much).

I have scraped frost off my windshield last winter... but no frost bite. :shrug: Besides, you are partly right about the temperature (more like upper 30s to 40s) but the sun will warm any day up a lot!!!

:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom