Reflections of Earth improvements including new lasers

goodolgm

So now that I'm home and can type a little more. I didn't film because I wanted to see, and my crappy phone camera probably wouldn't have caught much.

Yes, the lasers are far improved. The beams seem sharper and there's a lot more color to them. End of act 1, they slowly fade from red to blueish green as the Earth Barge rolls out.

I'm bad with act/scene names but after the moments of pyro inactivity, when the mines and air bursts are all shot as the same color (red, then green, then yellow, then orange), the lasers match the color of the bursts with each musical cue.

Also, the dramatic part with the gold fireworks where it's normally a fan of beams from AA, the fan is now multicolored and as the white glittery (former) willow fireworks burst, the beams slowly change color then go back to static multi color for the next round.

The postshow projection seems crisper too, and the refresh rate/flicker rate has improved too.

One thing I wish they could do was enhance their visibility a little more. I know it's not as easy as just brightening them, but one idea I thought of would be to put some hazer/fog machines on rooftops. Sounds silly, but might work? I had to particularly focus on the lasers at some parts to notice the differences and wish it was more noticeable, but it is obvious when you see them.

All product is the same as it has been...no whistlers. That being said, timing was great on everything.

Thumbs up on a nice plussing, always great to see TLC shown to a long-time favorite of mine.

Last edited:

Father Robinson

Wait until the other new hardware installs are operating :)

Are you referring specifically to the new laser enhancements, or will there be changes to other aspects of the show as well? I know you can't get into specific details, but are we looking at (only) new laser enhancements?

janoimagine

I hope they can get the Pyro barge in check, the last 4 times I have watched the show, 1 time it was out for service ... the other 3 times the pilots lit but no flames ... twice in on week during our October trip. Its such a huge part of the show.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Are you referring specifically to the new laser enhancements, or will there be changes to other aspects of the show as well? I know you can't get into specific details, but are we looking at (only) new laser enhancements?
There are other enhancements and additions coming both in the short and medium term. Laser and more. Mainly upgrading and replacing existing tech but with some plussing too.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I hope they can get the Pyro barge in check, the last 4 times I have watched the show, 1 time it was out for service ... the other 3 times the pilots lit but no flames ... twice in on week during our October trip. Its such a huge part of the show.
Yes the inferno barge had issues in the fall. It is being worked on.

Father Robinson

There are other enhancements and additions coming both in the short and medium term. Laser and more. Mainly upgrading and replacing existing tech but with some plussing too.
So should we expect any different elements to the show by means of the way shells are fired (directions and such)? Any new pyro types?

WDW Monorail

While we're talking about changes marni1971, is it fair to say we've seen the last of the screamers? And if so, was the reason purely environmental concerns? Also, the only other change to the show that I find very disappointing is the substitution for the red flare out pyro. If that's not an easily understood description, here's a photo.
fw.jpg

While obviously stills from video can't hardly do any justice, it just seems like that pyro that had such power previously has now become very weak and unimpressive. Was this also an environmental issue, is it a supply issue, and is it possible that they'll ever change it back to how it was?

The purple scramble comet mines have for the most part of the show's history been as they are now. There were stints over the years of the stars travelling farther and they looked nice.

I must say that in the past couple of years, the quality of the product has been as consistant as it has ever been.

COProgressFan

Yes, the screamers and red bursts have changed to meet environmental levels.

Wait until the other new hardware installs are operating :)

Does anyone else find this absurd? What type of emissions can a couple dozen shells put out that is so terribly wrong? I know the show goes on 365 days a year, but I can't imagine the pollution (for lack of a better word) from some screamers is any worse than a smoke spewing Disney bus?

Or putting it another way, I'm sure whatever they put out is a lot less than a couple minutes of exhaust from Iger and company's corporate jet.

Or is there more to it?

Figments Friend

The screamer pyro created a bit of noise...thus why they were nicknamed 'screamers'.
I am only guessing here, but they may have been discontinued because they were disturbing wildlife in the area with the high-pitched 'scream' effect of the pyro.

I am dissapointed to hear that these have now been discontinued, as when they would go off it added a nice feeling of excitement to the show.
Understandable however if it was felt they needed to be replaced with 'quieter' options.

Sage of Time

Found this video. Hard to see the lasers, but you can get a sense of some of the new shells. Looks like they finally replaced the waterline mums in Chaos with a product that mimics how the original/1999 effect was. No 'tails' just a very nice and large starburst.

The only really other noticeable shell was two shots that that the Earth Barge torch fires before the 1000 points of light finale. Very glittery, sticks around, and not as tall as the older sort of roman candle effect that they had.

Bummed to hear that Cronkite won't be in the finale any more. Hope the new narration is just as good. Maybe they're using Mary from the old and original Illumi2000 voiceovers? She was great.

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
Found this video. Hard to see the lasers, but you can get a sense of some of the new shells. Looks like they finally replaced the waterline mums in Chaos with a product that mimics how the original/1999 effect was. No 'tails' just a very nice and large starburst.

The only really other noticeable shell was two shots that that the Earth Barge torch fires before the 1000 points of light finale. Very glittery, sticks around, and not as tall as the older sort of roman candle effect that they had.

I had noticed something being up with the waterline mums last Thursday that I couldn't place. Maybe it was the new bursts? Either way, it's scary that people can watch a video and catch such subtle differences. Especially in the two shots before 1000 points of light. Nice catch. When I saw the show on Thurs., instead of the usual single comet which begins the show, there were two, one from AA and one from Canada. Odd.

I won't even get into my feelings on Walter Cronkite. Won't change anything. If the new narration has anything to do with Frozen I will cry. That is all.

Father Robinson

Does anyone else find this absurd? What type of emissions can a couple dozen shells put out that is so terribly wrong? I know the show goes on 365 days a year, but I can't imagine the pollution (for lack of a better word) from some screamers is any worse than a smoke spewing Disney bus?

Or putting it another way, I'm sure whatever they put out is a lot less than a couple minutes of exhaust from Iger and company's corporate jet.

Or is there more to it?
I suppose it would depend on exactly what type of hazardous emission they produced and the direct impact they had on the area in question. That being said, I completely see your point and am definitely on the same page as you. It does seem a little extreme.

Sage of Time

I had noticed something being up with the waterline mums last Thursday that I couldn't place. Maybe it was the new bursts? Either way, it's scary that people can watch a video and catch such subtle differences. Especially in the two shots before 1000 points of light. Nice catch. When I saw the show on Thurs., instead of the usual single comet which begins the show, there were two, one from AA and one from Canada. Odd.

I won't even get into my feelings on Walter Cronkite. Won't change anything. If the new narration has anything to do with Frozen I will cry. That is all.

The two comet thing is really weird. Sounds like they were using the old 1999 AFL location from the UK to launch it.... with the post accident location on the American Adventure? Funky.

Ironically from that position there were no lasers to see that night.

Had it been last night though....

Offffff course. Back to YouTube to hunt. hahah.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom