News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

raymusiccity

Zack Riddley said Harmonious is still in the early stages?? I would have thought it was at least mid stages? What’s left to be done aside from bringing out the other two screen barges and then testing all the barges together?
This transition will probably meet with some negative responses, but, EPCOT will be family fun for children of all ages. Just another brilliant acquisition by Disney. You can still see the lagoon as a hidden Mickey! 😅
IMG_0320.JPG
E

Rteetz

I don't understand how this has anything to do with the 80s?

This looks awful by any objective measure. Even the people who are okay with it are okay with it because they think the show will be great; not because they like seeing a bunch of equipment sitting in the middle of the lagoon all day.
That was more a comment on the whole Epcot transformation but yes I agree with what you’re saying.

UNCgolf

The mythical Epcot many seem to remember never actually existed and what variation did was very unpopular with guests resulting in low attendance prompting layers of updates over the years to increase attendance.

I’m fine when someone doesn‘t like a specific change that’s been made, but when people go on for years and years beating the same drum(s) it‘s no longer feedback, it’s just complaining for the sake of it.

There was nothing mythical about EPCOT. It was the best park ever built and the whole reason I loved WDW as a kid. That doesn't mean it was perfect. It's gone and never coming back, but comments like this are essentially saying "I didn't really care about it so you shouldn't either." I'm sure there would be a lot of people unhappy if they bulldozed half of Main Street at the Magic Kingdom too, among other changes.

Also, layers of updates? What are you talking about? The whole problem was that they didn't update EPCOT. It was popular until they stopped doing anything.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

And I have nothing to compare it too because I never saw Epcot pre-2000s. I have stated such. I’m not attached to the park. My favorite park is Animal Kingdom. Only reason I go to Epcot now is to eat and drink. I think that’s a problem. That’s also not a conversation for this thread tho.

Animal Kingdom is my favorite park now too -- it's the closest thing to original EPCOT.

I don't think anyone is upset that they're making additions/changes to EPCOT. EPCOT has needed additions for a very long time; Disney let the park stagnate and turn into a skeleton of what it once was. It's what they're adding/how they're doing it that's the problem.

It's the same reason adding the city from Zootopia to Animal Kingdom would be a disaster. It would screw up the whole theme of the park. Pandora was an iffy addition but they made it work beautifully -- that may not be the case with whatever they do next. Hopefully they will, but it's certainly possible that they will add something that actually makes the park worse overall.

Last edited:

TTA94

A lot more than just testing, which in itself will take time. Although I suspect he’s attempting to play down the online backlash by pushing the problem further down the line.

Is more stuff to come visually that we haven’t seen or know about yet?

trainplane3

This is what I was going to say. It's amazing that this was approved as a good idea by a whole group of people. People want to blame Zach Riddley, and while I'm sure he deserves some of the blame, it's not like he has complete authority to do anything he wants. A lot of other people were involved in designing this and there were also people who had to sign off on the final plans.
It doesn't help the fact that his Instagram posts bring up themes, research, and the meanings behind why X is X and Y is Y. He'll dive into history as well. Then you have the definitely not PR, PR post that was definitely not approved by some higher up that is definitely 100% written by him. He could easily just not have social media instead of trying to shill. Joe Rohde's posts were always great reads and never felt like some PR crap.

I understand there's more to this then him and he could've been pushing in the opposite direction but is being forced to do Bobs plan. Point is, he took the project on so it's his face on the project. I don't feel bad for the blame he receives. I also recall a trusted source on here saying he's basically Bobs puppet and that was the reason why he was elevated to this position (obviously I can't verify so this one isn't weighing much in this conversation).

This has nothing to do with "BuT EpCoT bEfOrE tHe 90s WaS bEtTeR", it's Disneys own standards. I can go to nearly any other park that has minimal themes, boxes, and track everywhere. Disney showed you can have things hidden in plain sight. To accept this is and say "well Epcot needed a new show at any cost" is hilarious.

On the fountains: We know Disneys history (US parks) with maintaining things a few years after it debuts. I give the fountains 5 years tops before they stop fixing them. I'd be glad to be wrong though.

zemmyz

It's just frustrating. If this show and the tech alongside it is really something - that's one thing. But to just toss aside decades of actual care, vision, and dedication to hold immersion, beauty, and traits that make Disney World what it is, for a *maybe* 20-minute show nightly, just makes me sad.

Disstevefan1

This stuff is big, ugly and destroys the views but I am hoping the show is so good we can look past it during the day.... Oh who am I kidding.... never mind 🙁.

I have to say, it was hard for me to make out the pictures on the old globe most of the time but the entire show was so good I did not mind it. These new screens are so large, I suspect there will be no problem.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Sure but I’m not the one bitter about a “lost Epcot” or “mistake on the lake”

If this show impresses than to me it’s worth it. Illuminations barges albeit didn’t sit out all day but those weren’t exactly pretty either.

IMO some of you need to stop living in the Epcot past. That Epcot has been gone for decades at this point. Maybe because I never saw it I don’t have the attachment that many of you do but Epcot needs the work desperately. I was huge fan of illuminations but even that had run its course.
It's not about Epcots pasts. It's the fact that the theming and immersion standards of disney's past have gone down the drain.

When Tower of Terror was built, it was themed to blend into Morroco from the Mexican pavilion.

Can you see the ride building for POTC or Splash from inside the park?

Space Mountain was designed to look good from all angles.

Now we get this and Big box rides like Guardians, soarin, rat, tron.

Standards have been lowered.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I have to say, it was hard for me to make out the pictures on the old globe most of the time but the entire show was so good I did not mind it.
I could see steam locomotive 611 plenty clearly on that old globe! (There were a few times right before maintenance when it looked pretty bad though.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom