News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Figments Friend

Those 'burnt taco shells' are going to look mighty rusty after a couple of years of having water fountains spraying all over them, direct sun exposure, and the famous Florida humidity.

The bare concrete bases will last, though.
Someone start a till to collect some money so WDW can afford to go over to the local 'Home Depot' hardware store and buy a few cans of black spray paint.

-

TikibirdLand

Most likely Magic Kingdom since the PR labels it as "iconic Disney."

The original playlist was rather.... eclectic:

Disney Movie Soundtracks
  • The Rescuers Down Under [Australia]
  • The Rocketeer
  • Iron Will [Canada]

New Age Synth
  • Standing In Motion, Yanni
  • Day One, John Tesh

From Epcot Shows
  • Air Battle from Surprise in the Skies (daytime show on the lagoon)
  • Mickey’s Finale from Around the World with Mickey Mouse (from an Epcot show that never was finally produced, includes “When You Wish Upon a Star”)
  • Celebrate the Future Hand In Hand (theme of Epcot’s Millennial Celebration)

The "Fountain of Nations" only featured two nations. Otherwise it was New Age Synth or selections from other Epcot shows.

I did like sitting and watching the fountain for their Christmas music shows... in whatever little seating there was. It was almost like Disney didn't want anyone to watch. Hope the new space is more amenable to stopping to watch.
Had to jump over to youtube to watch the FoN doing Rocketeer. It's my FAVORITE movie. Fountain of Nations was my favorite part of EPCOT. At least Disney can't take the movie away from me!

Mike from Cincy

I know it hasn't had the best guest satisfaction ratings, but for a 20 year show that doesn't rely on IP, why would they feel its replacement must rely on IP? Make a great enough show and IP will never be necessary.
I'm probably an idiot but what does "ip" mean? Is it image projecting?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm probably an idiot but what does "ip" mean? Is it image projecting?
Intellectual Property.

In the broad sense, it's anything that is copyrighted. Most often in theme park circles, it references existing movies' stories and characters being used in the parks. E.g., Peter Pan's Flight (the ride) is based on the IP of Disney's Peter Pan.

For future reference with abbreviations, bookmark...

TTA94

Got to thinking of what’s actually going to be in Harmonious. Anyone think there might be a Marry Poppins segment with “Trip A Little Light Fantastic” and lighting the Torches? That could be kinda cool. Or if Harmonious uses the kites from EF they could do a segment of “Let’s Go Fly A Kite”.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Got to thinking of what’s actually going to be in Harmonious. Anyone think there might be a Marry Poppins segment with “Trip A Little Light Fantastic” and lighting the Torches? That could be kinda cool. Or if Harmonious uses the kites from EF they could do a segment of “Let’s Go Fly A Kite”.
IP.

Poseidon Adventure and Titanic wouldn’t go amiss either.

Goofy213

In the concept drawing the barges are pulled tight together, but in the photos taken so far they are spaced out. I'm assuming that they are movable once in the lagoon? Do they have outboard motors or a pulley system to move them all together for fountain operation and then back for night time spectacular mode?

techgeek

In the concept drawing the barges are pulled tight together, but in the photos taken so far they are spaced out. I'm assuming that they are movable once in the lagoon? Do they have outboard motors or a pulley system to move them all together for fountain operation and then back for night time spectacular mode?

The barges are tied off to concrete moorings. There’s been nothing to indicate they have their own means of propulsion, or are intended to move.

Concept art, photos, and in person reality are always a little bit different when it comes to perspective, but one thing that might be throwing off your perception of spacing for now is the missing center structure... which if you look at the backstage aerials, the Stargate really is quite large even compared to the massive tacos. Once that’s in place, it should match a lot closer to the art I think.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Nope.

A lot will depend on the music type and style. Is it Epcot, or is it Magic Kingdom?
It's true.
I also found an on-line photo of Valiquette, Riddley and two Epcot CM's holding two special pitchers containing FoN's water, in late 2019.

They probably dumped it in the bushes after the cameras were gone...

Yes, I’m jaded and have zero love for the social media-focused WDI puppets that they trot out these days, who then get tagged with “getting it” because of their retro shirt and retro reprint posters in the background on their social media posts. All of them, especially the “management” that green lights this garbage, can go take a flying leap for having a hand in destroying what once was a great theme park.

TTA94

Looking at the arms more closely I’m thinking they might get a covering. It looks like there is framing around the sides. The concept art does show yellow/gold ish arms. Also interesting is the sides of the arch (Stargate) received some type of framing as well.

Creathir

These things are downright awful.
Saw them for the first time in person today...

They are absolutely enormous and completely destroy the entire World Showcase.

Their size is just immense. The pictures do not do them justice. And to think they are going to be bigger with fountains shooting out the top...

Worst part: the careful forced perspective and placement of the pavilions around the lagoon is completely upended. The pavilions looks small and insignificant, the focal point being the giant black tears gracing us with their presence.

Whomever designed this should be fired.
Whomever green lighted this should be stripped of retirement benefits and also fired.

No show, no matter how amazing or spectacular, is worth what these monstrosities have brought to one of the most amazing places on earth.

Disney should be ashamed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom