• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

techgeek

See the part in red from just a few posts up. ;)

The last an insider has said of the barges' fountains is that there is no 'fountain show.'

But who knows, that could change.

Is "story fountain" Disney-speak for - "it's going to have a recurring show" or "It's a fountain that tells a story through awesome design and commanding presence"? lol...

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
Is "story fountain" Disney-speak for - "it's going to have a recurring show" or "It's a fountain that tells a story through awesome design and commanding presence"? lol...
It'll just be pretty lights and founts synced to Disney movie songs. I'm assuming its branding as "story-telling" is because the big golf ball behind it is slated to get a story-telling thematic refresh.... someday.

trainplane3

Worst case scenario apparently was prolonged bridge opening in bad weather. Not all the time.

The amount of **** ups with this project beggars belief.
It's like everyone at WDI is competing to make a name for themselves at any cost imaginable. It's obvious they don't care what they're doing since they just want the biggest, shiniest thing attached to their name.

They should've proposed a full bridge replacement to widen the gap during EF's run. But I'm sure it wasn't shiny enough for anyone at WDI to care about it. At least they got the entrance right.

MaryJaneP

I really think they should put some kind of artwork on it rather than the current (horribly painted) nothing-to-see-here black. A SSE triangle motif, a retro-ish blue and silver color block pattern, flags of World Showcase... it could only improve the look at this point.

And since they're sitting in the middle of a guest area, they're going to need repainting at regular intervals, artwork or no artwork. Might as well put something visually attractive on them.
Maybe some camo scrims or such.

mnelson3

To state the obvious, water isn't exactly opaque. At least, not unless there's a lot of it or it's lit in a controlled way.

The volume of water that would have to be in play to completely obscure these flat black barges from all 4 sides during the day would be pretty staggering. We haven't seen it in action yet, but I have my doubts it will be able to 'hide' anything. Make it look intentional and visually interesting? Maybe... But I gotta believe you're still going to perceive the bulk of the barges and Stargate structure underneath the spray, unless there's some Niagara Falls level cascade planned that we're not seeing evidence of as of yet.

😂 Yeah it’s gonna take Niagara Falls level of cascade to cover those things.

Touchdown

Am I reading too much into the 9pm close Sunday at Epcot? With all those new barges on the lagoon, could we have an unannounced show? It’s weird the park is open more Sunday then Saturday

I know wishful thinking

mnelson3

I would think sometime in the coming weeks or months they will do a short filmed testing segment of the show, to show off at the next 50th announcement... whenever that is.

UNCgolf

What was there about the FoN that a new fountain doesn't have except the originating waters from around the world?

It'll just depend on what exactly they build and what the show is. The Fountain of Nations (at least at one point) had a pretty incredible synchronized water show that was an attraction in its own right. I'm not sure the new fountain is going to have anything at that level.

With that said, we won't know until it's actually built and running. While I am definitely not a fan of EPCOT's new direction, the replacement fountain is a wait and see kind of thing. Hard to criticize it right now without knowledge of what it will look like and do.

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
It'll just depend on what exactly they build and what the show is. The Fountain of Nations (at least at one point) had a pretty incredible synchronized water show that was an attraction in its own right. I'm not sure the new fountain is going to have anything at that level.

With that said, we won't know until it's actually built and running. While I am definitely not a fan of EPCOT's new direction, the replacement fountain is a wait and see kind of thing. Hard to criticize it right now without knowledge of what it will look like and do.
Disney's PR says it will be a show synced to music... which is exactly what FoN was. At least you're willing to see it in person to make a final judgement.

I'm just wondering what @mightynine knows that they are so sure it won't be the same that I was "thanked for trying," implying I was putting out false information for some nefarious reason.

UNCgolf

Disney's PR says it will be a show synced to music... which is exactly what FoN was. At least you're willing to see it in person to make a final judgement.

I'm just wondering what @mightynine knows that they are so sure it won't be the same that I was "thanked for trying," implying I was putting out false information for some nefarious reason.

Right -- but there can be wildly different levels of a show synced to music. The Fountain of Nations one was incredibly impressive at one point; there's no guarantee this new fountain will have anything comparable. I realize I'm being pessimistic, but it's hard for me to have much optimism following many of Disney's recent moves at WDW and especially what they're doing at EPCOT.

Regardless, like I said, it's premature to criticize it at this point. Pessimism is fine, but it's not like we have artist renderings of the fountain and a full description/simulation of the show. I could be pleasantly surprised.

HauntedPirate

Sheltered-at-home Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They actually took water from the FoN to put in the new fountain.

It'll be interesting to see if they move forward with that, since it was pre-covid. It would need to be stored well since water evaporates.

If true... it’s a hollow move, at least in my eyes. “Look at us! We’re recreating a moment from the FoN dedication! We get it!” Here’s a thought - Don’t rip out the original fountain, just give it the TLC/refurb it desperately needed a decade (or more) ago.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
What? There's a sealed bottle of FoN somewhere that they'll be pouring into the new fountain? That's the first I've heard of that. Where did you hear that?
It's true.
I also found an on-line photo of Valiquette, Riddley and two Epcot CM's holding two special pitchers containing FoN's water, in late 2019.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom