News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

trainplane3

Why the watertight door?
Keep storms, splashes, and uh...firework oopsies from damaging components. They're attached to a literal concrete block and there's open vents on the side of the barges.
Concrete block on the left and vent in middle:
HarmonioUS_Full_40064.jpg

And the rectangle section was always part of the concept art, we just never acknowledged it:
HarmonioUS_Full_35967.jpg

Last edited:

UNCgolf

A lot will depend on the music type and style. Is it Epcot, or is it Magic Kingdom?

This is something I meant to mention as well. I believe the original FoN mostly (maybe exclusively) used music from Disney productions, but it wasn't immediately recognizable in your face music -- they were just nice orchestral pieces. If the new fountain is synchronized to Let It Go, Whole New World, Be Our Guest, etc. it's going to be a serious disappointment no matter how impressive the show itself is.

hpyhnt 1000

There are also what appears to be cooling units just ouside that door...
This looks terrible.
Of course no one acknowledged it from the concept are because the vantage point was a half mile away in space on a dark lagoon...
Could they not add additional flats around the base to cover the unfinished exterior...?
Exactly, and yet another example of how standards have fallen on this project.

For example, the Earth Barge for RoE featured a chain link(?) fence with black slats that was both safety barrier and screen that hid the various components under the globe. The end result was a comparatively clean looking black rectangle when viewed from shore, even up close (not my pics below).

1612542894736.png

1612543213572.png

Not saying the RoE barges were perfect, but it's pretty clear there was more thought put into how they impacted lagoon sight lines than with Harm (such an apropos abbreviation for this show).

MrPromey

What? There's a sealed bottle of FoN somewhere that they'll be pouring into the new fountain? That's the first I've heard of that. Where did you hear that?

From me.

Prior to them shutting off the old one, I jumped the fence with a little cup from Club Cool and collected some of the water. I took it back to my car where I transferred it to an emptied water bottle and I plan to dump it into the new one once it's built and open to the public.

There may be some trace amounts of Beverly mixed in there along with a few drops of Zephyrhills but it's mostly fountain water, I assure you.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A lot will depend on the music type and style. Is it Epcot, or is it Magic Kingdom?

Most likely Magic Kingdom since the PR labels it as "iconic Disney."

The original playlist was rather.... eclectic:

Disney Movie Soundtracks
  • The Rescuers Down Under [Australia]
  • The Rocketeer
  • Iron Will [Canada]

New Age Synth
  • Standing In Motion, Yanni
  • Day One, John Tesh

From Epcot Shows
  • Air Battle from Surprise in the Skies (daytime show on the lagoon)
  • Mickey’s Finale from Around the World with Mickey Mouse (from an Epcot show that never was finally produced, includes “When You Wish Upon a Star”)
  • Celebrate the Future Hand In Hand (theme of Epcot’s Millennial Celebration)

The "Fountain of Nations" only featured two nations. Otherwise it was New Age Synth or selections from other Epcot shows.

I did like sitting and watching the fountain for their Christmas music shows... in whatever little seating there was. It was almost like Disney didn't want anyone to watch. Hope the new space is more amenable to stopping to watch.

aladdin2007

Certainly was. Fun fact - you could request a song at guest relations.

among other things as well. They use to have all kinds of great printed information papers they handed out for free from the score pieces of Impressions de France, to the pavilions music lists, film scenes, exhibits information, and so much more. I was fortunate to grow up there in that time period and I have a huge archived collection now of all of those printed materials...nothing special Im sure, but I love it. I doubt they do this anymore, but then most of those things are gone now anyway.

Brenthodge

Are those things going to sink? They look like they will drop to just below the screens. At least that will hopefully bring back some of the views of FW, albeit with a BBB on the right side of most of your photos.
Im
Are those things going to sink? They look like they will drop to just below the screens. At least that will hopefully bring back some of the views of FW, albeit with a BBB on the right side of most of your photos.
I wouldnt think so - while the door with the country location looks like a bulkhead door that would be watertight - right next to is a compressor for AC inside - which could not be underwater. Im afraid these are what they are, and they. are. bad!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
among other things as well. They use to have all kinds of great printed information papers they handed out for free from the score pieces of Impressions de France, to the pavilions music lists, film scenes, exhibits information, and so much more. I was fortunate to grow up there in that time period and I have a huge archived collection now of all of those printed materials...nothing special Im sure, but I love it. I doubt they do this anymore, but then most of those things are gone now anyway.
I meant request to have the show played. It was tied into a local intranet.

I’m with you about the printed material - although I’m old school so got my Impressions de France list from EPCOT Outreach :)

aladdin2007

I meant request to have the show played. It was tied into a local intranet.

I’m with you about the printed material - although I’m old school so got my Impressions de France list from EPCOT Outreach :)
oh now that you mention I think that's what I meant to say not guest relations, was Outreach upstairs above what was the disney gallery? That's where I got most of it not really at guest relations.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
oh now that you mention I think that's what I meant to say not guest relations, was Outreach upstairs above what was the disney gallery? That's where I got most of it not really at guest relations.
Between 1994 and 1999 Epcot Discovery Center (as it was then known) moved from Communicore West to above the gallery area. Does that sound about right?

rreading

they would not be so bad if they could sink to the waterline...it is that first 8' of nothingness holding the display up that look so incredibly jarring.
I’ve had a similar thought but they would still be really bad.

My only hope is that the fountains keep me from seeing them and that that works okay with the view of the lagoon.

Presumably they can hide some of the bad views of Guardians with the fountains 😂

TTA94

Are the barges going to have a filtration system for the fountains? With all that water shooting everywhere and hitting the barges I would think they would need some type of filtration system to keep the barges clean and in good condition?Not to mention the mist that’s going to blow out onto guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom