News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Why is someone a troll who doesn’t agree with you?
There’s no agreeing or disagreeing on facts. Facts are indisputable. Facts just are.

It’s 74 degrees with 86% humidity where I’m at. You can disagree on whether or not it’s a pleasant temperature, but you can’t disagree on the fact that it’s 74 degrees with 86% humidity at this moment.

Maybe you're not a troll, and you just believe that your opinions are as valid as indisputable facts.

Last edited:

harry58

What is so hard to believe that they would do this? They just did it to Reedy Creeks final move to extend their power. Do you seriously think DeSantis will just go along with any Federal orders? He and the 100% republican statehouse will just circumvent the feds with new laws.
This case is a test of our system of government. I don't believe that if The state loses this, they can come back and pass a law in a direct violation of the first amendment. And if Disney wins, that is what it would be. Now if a court decides that this is not a constitutional issue, that is different. Violating a "law" is different. But if they do decide it violates the federal constitution, and Florida is able to pass laws in violation, then our constitution means nothing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok…I’m gonna stop right here…

But it does loosely correlate to the original law and the Disney fight and why it’s really not gonna play longterm in Florida as a whole…

In this polling- and I have zero idea how they complied it - jax actually has the highest percentage in the state. But that probably has to do with the boundaries?

Anyway you slice it…Florida is an odd “battlefield” to try to be regressive…even with its age…
And that’s why this has been dr Strangelove since the start.

Ok…sorry to the mods for the scrub in advance. I’m out on this.

Lilofan

Fair enough. I looked at a few sources and some said Walmart and some said Publix so I went with Walmart. But the my original point remains that Disney is not Florida's largest employer.

Compared to Florida's $117B budget, then Disney represents .8% of Florida's revenue according to that metric. My point is that I think some folks overvalue what Disney means to the state of Florida financially overall.

100% true. The Orlando area would be nothing today without Disney. But a lot has happened in the last 50 years. Orlando has grown by leaps and bounds. Other players have come into the market more than eager to scoop up Disney's market share. The area has become more than just Disney World. I'll bet Disney's recent rhetoric about not investing in the Florida property has Universal chomping at the bit saying "Please don't. We'll love to have your guests here as we open more and more stuff." Again, my point here is that I think some people are overconfident in Disney's grip of central Florida market share.
Orlando without Disney is Central FL without acceptable food with the droves of snowbirds , visitors and full time residents living with the locals. Wawa and White Castle would have never opened their first location in FL in Orlando if not for the growth and demand potential. Even the FL governor came for the grand opening by the location next to Sea World on Central FL Parkway.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This case is a test of our system of government. I don't believe that if The state loses this, they can come back and pass a law in a direct violation of the first amendment. And if Disney wins, that is what it would be. Now if a court decides that this is not a constitutional issue, that is different. Violating a "law" is different. But if they do decide it violates the federal constitution, and Florida is able to pass laws in violation, then our constitution means nothing.
In this case how can they do that anyway? If the courts rule in favor of Disney the current clown board is gone and RCID is back. The Governor can’t just ignore that. Disney doesn’t need to follow anything these fools say. Could the state pass new laws targeted at Disney? Sure and those can be taken to court as well. Eventually the public will sour on a Governor doing nothing for the people of his state. What do the citizens of FL get out of that behavior? Nothing. DeSantis loyalists desperate to win a facebook argument may support it, but I don’t believe the average Floridian wants anything to do with that. Just because someone voted for him doesn’t mean they blindly support anything he does. I know that’s the case for the core, base supporters but that’s a small group compared to everyone in the state.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Compared to Florida's $117B budget, then Disney represents .8% of Florida's revenue according to that metric. My point is that I think some folks overvalue what Disney means to the state of Florida financially overall.

Disney means a lot to the state's GDP beyond the taxes it directly pays to both the counties and the state. It's certainly the driving force behind the economic growth of Central Florida. It is responsible for nearly half of the tourism in the state. A $72.5 billion economic and 400K jobs impact isn't something to dismiss.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Orlando without Disney is Central FL without acceptable food with the droves of snowbirds , visitors and full time residents living with the locals. Wawa and White Castle would have never opened their first location in FL in Orlando if not for the growth and demand potential. Even the FL governor came for the grand opening by the location next to Sea World on Central FL Parkway.
It’s really silly that anyone can try to argue that Disney is not a major part of the FL economy. Tourism is the #1 industry, Disney is the #1 player. It’s pretty basic.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
100% true. The Orlando area would be nothing today without Disney. But a lot has happened in the last 50 years. Orlando has grown by leaps and bounds. Other players have come into the market more than eager to scoop up Disney's market share. The area has become more than just Disney World. I'll bet Disney's recent rhetoric about not investing in the Florida property has Universal chomping at the bit saying "Please don't. We'll love to have your guests here as we open more and more stuff." Again, my point here is that I think some people are overconfident in Disney's grip of central Florida market share.
Disney is not going anywhere, however, if they did Universal would be one of the most deeply hurt businesses. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Universal recognizes that Disney drives a large portion of their business. Universal doesn’t make super profits off of local AP holders. They make those super profits off of tourists and Disney is the catalyst for bringing those people to the area.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Disney is not going anywhere, however, if they did Universal would be one of the most deeply hurt businesses. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Universal recognizes that Disney drives a large portion of their business. Universal doesn’t make super profits off of local AP holders. They make those super profits off of tourists and Disney is the catalyst for bringing those people to the area.

Correct. Uni is in Central Florida because WDW showed a theme park could be successful. Same with SeaWorld. If Disney were to pull up stakes and move (i.e., lose its mind), both of those parks would suffer. As would tourism in the state.

Lilofan

In this case how can they do that anyway? If the courts rule in favor of Disney the current clown board is gone and RCID is back. The Governor can’t just ignore that. Disney doesn’t need to follow anything these fools say. Could the state pass new laws targeted at Disney? Sure and those can be taken to court as well. Eventually the public will sour on a Governor doing nothing for the people of his state. What do the citizens of FL get out of that behavior? Nothing. DeSantis loyalists desperate to win a facebook argument may support it, but I don’t believe the average Floridian wants anything to do with that. Just because someone voted for him doesn’t mean they blindly support anything he does. I know that’s the case for the core, base supporters but that’s a small group compared to everyone in the state.
Perhaps in a twisted mindset that DeSantis thinks he's got FL in the bag in terms of supporting him and his ideology . He may try to use his idea of "Make America Florida" ideology mindset when he sells his ideas to other states and as fighter for a free Florida and fighter for all in his own narrow mindset. Its amazing when people are very unhappy with status quo that some may just support him outside of FL. Stranger things have happened in our land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom