News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Chi84

Premium Member
This motion is not yet showing on the Clerk of Court’s website. It seems like an odd strategy as it treats the state law as valid. Disney has essentially opened the door for the District to make changes and start doing things with their property.
I think you would have to read the filing to make that determination. Parties can advance conflicting theories to some extent.

Brian

Here is the motion to dismiss, courtesy of Deadline.

Attachments

• Motion-to-Dismiss.pdf
    1,018.4 KB · Views: 151

Brian

Here is the motion to dismiss, courtesy of Deadline.
As to Disney's argument about the contract, and whether or not the legislative action was valid, see this quote from their motion from page eight:

Dismissal is required here. This is an action by a state board raising questions about the validity of Contracts that are already void and unenforceable by unequivocal legislative fiat.
and further on page nine:
No matter how this Court answers them, CFTOD will not comply with the Contracts because it legally cannot: Senate Bill 1604 provides, without qualification, that CFTOD “is precluded from complying with the terms of” the Contracts.
By rendering any opinion by this Court legally irrelevant, the new statute has deprived this Court of jurisdiction to resolve this case.

Brian

How does this process work for the uninitiated?
The judge will now consider Disney's motion to dismiss the lawsuit filed by the CFTOD against them in state court over the contract, and if the CFTOD wishes to file any motions to the contrary, those will be considered as well.

In other words, the judge will now have to decide whether to agree with Disney's logic as to why the lawsuit cannot stand, and decide if it should be thrown out, paused (pending the outcome of the federal case), or allowed to proceed for the time being.

JAB

The judge will now consider Disney's motion to dismiss the lawsuit filed by the CFTOD against them in state court over the contract, and if the CFTOD wishes to file any motions to the contrary, those will be considered as well.

In other words, the judge will now have to decide whether to agree with Disney's logic as to why the lawsuit cannot stand, and decide if it should be thrown out, paused (pending the outcome of the federal case), or allowed to proceed for the time being.
I can't think of why it might be paused vs. dismissed. If Disney wins the federal case, then then the contracts will have already been declared valid, and if Disney loses, 1604 makes the contracts unenforceable. So in either case, CFTOD's suit is moot, so there wouldn't be a benefit to waiting on the outcome of the federal case.

Brian

I can't think of why it might be paused vs. dismissed. If Disney wins the federal case, then then the contracts will have already been declared valid, and if Disney loses, 1604 makes the contracts unenforceable. So in either case, CFTOD's suit is moot, so there wouldn't be a benefit to waiting on the outcome of the federal case.
I agree, I'm just referencing Disney's secondary ask, should the judge decline to dismiss.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
If Federal Court finds for Disney Florida's suit is moot. Hearing the Constitutional issues in the Federal suit will take priority because the suits overlap and the matter involves the Contracts Clause, Takings and the First Amendment.

The suits aren't the same but as Disney said in today's motion both suits “Stem from the same nucleus of facts".

Say what you like but Iger is the alpha Dog here.
And sometimes right makes might.

Chi84

Premium Member
I agree, I'm just referencing Disney's secondary ask, should the judge decline to dismiss.
And it’s always sensible to wait until all the pleadings are filed because issues can change or be sharpened by the other party’s position.

One thing I’ve found is that CFTOD’s pleadings are painful to read when measured against the elegant simplicity of Disney’s. Disney’s team excels at tying their specific arguments to general principles of law. Courts appreciate the effort.

mikejs78

Premium Member
This motion is not yet showing on the Clerk of Court’s website. It seems like an odd strategy as it treats the state law as valid. Disney has essentially opened the door for the District to make changes and start doing things with their property.

I think this motion is brilliant. They make a compelling argument on motion to dismiss. At all costs, Disney wants to avoid a state court ruling against them, and wants this in federal court. A federal ruling would win out, but federal courts are also very deferential to state court rulings. A finding that the contracts were invalid because they weren't properly executed would somewhat harm Disney's case. A finding tthat the contracts are invalid because the legislature says so plays right into Disney's federal case. So a dismissal for mootness seems to be exactly what they need - and short of that, a stay, which FL law at least from this reading seems very clear about.

Disney hired good lawyers.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Some uploads, nothing that interesting.

From Disney v DeSantis, a motion for reconsideration to piggyback on this suit by another alleged 1A victim of DeSantis, and another denial.

Attachments

• recon-5-16-denied.pdf
    139.9 KB · Views: 61
  • recon-5-16.pdf
    8.1 MB · Views: 166

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom