News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wrong. There has never been a federal law that prohibited gay marriage.
Fun fact: marriage doesn’t appear anywhere in our government framework documents…
…this may be hard to grasp for some

1684295453602.jpeg

…now it’s been ruled to be under the equal protection amendment…
…but that’s not what ya probably think it is, megamind

mikejs78

Premium Member
I gave examples of a state ignoring federal laws. The final adjudication is irrelevant for my example.

That's not how this works. State laws deal with state matters. Federal laws with federal matters. States can write laws that tiptoe around the edges of federal laws. Sometimes they even write laws that are in complete opposition to federal law, but then they can't enforce them. Yes there are numerous cases of states passing laws contrary to federal law to make a statement but that have no practical effect.

In the CA case, their laws didn't actually contradict federal law, because federal law puts no requirements on states to enforce federal immigration law. It's up to the feds to do that.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
They are historical examples of states circumventing federal laws.
Here's the thing, the only somewhat valid example you posted was marijuana. But that's not mentioned in the constitution. At all.

You know what is though? Free speech.

Passing retaliatory laws targeting a single entity or person because they chose to speak up, that's actually unconstitutional.

That's the big difference between what Florida has done and what California previously did.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Here's the thing, the only somewhat valid example you posted was marijuana. But that's not mentioned in the constitution. At all.

You know what is though? Free speech.

But passing retaliatory laws targeting a single entity or person because they chose to speak up, that's actually unconstitutional.

That's the big difference between what Florida has done and what California previously did.
And the federal government has acknowledged repeatedly that they absolutely could enforce marijuana laws if they wanted to…but they will not.
It would take about 10 minutes to strike down the state laws and enforce if they wanted too.

…I wish there was a practical example here of a state law in the crosshairs to be voided? 🤔

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

…I wish there was a practical example here of a state law in the crosshairs to be voided? 🤔
I don't think we'll find another example of a tyrannical power-hungry governor attacking a corporation or citizen for exercising their free speech against a law they passed.

We may have to go back to the 1940s to find a more similar example......

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
they stop the federal government from enforcing federal law in that state.
No. The federal government can choose to not enforce them, like they largely have in states that have medicalized or legalized marijuana.

Or they can send in the US Marshals, like when schools were integrated back in the 1960s.

Or they can strike the local laws down, like they did when Puerto Rico attempted to create its own local bankruptcy law.

But no matter what, the supremacy clause of the United States Constitution puts federal law above all state and local laws.

MandaM

My prior post had examples of the DOJ (federal Department of Justice) suing California for implementing state laws that circumvented federal laws. I don’t know how much more simpler I can make it.
No, you didn’t give an example of a state ignoring a federal court ruling. You can make it simpler by actually answering the question asked.

The government can sue whenever they want, but the courts are the ones who decided if a state broke a federal law. The government suing doesn’t prove anything.

MagicHappens1971

That us exactly what I’m saying. Finally, we reach. This exactly what has happened many times in the past.
Where and when has Florida ignored the ruling of a federal judge?
Whatever comes down from the fed’s will just be circumvented by Florida lawmakers. As long as they have a 100% super majority and a Governor who has a will, there will be the way.
No, there isn't. Because that is not how the United States of America works.

MandaM

If you can’t understand that overturning Roe v. Wade was the Supreme Court saying No to abortion, then we won’t be able to come an agreement. The Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade and California countered with many new laws (in opposition) of the Supreme Court’s decision. This is my point. No matter if it’s the Sipreme Court that sides with Disney, Florida (as did California) will make new laws in opposition of any federal decision.
Abortion is actually a really good example of how your claim is totally wrong. Texas has been completely controlled by Republicans for about 2 decades now, and in that entire time they’ve wanted to make abortion illegal. And yet, they didn’t. Why? Because a federal court ruling - Roe v Wade - prevented them from doing so. No red state outlawed abortion until a different federal court ruling allowed them to do so, even though they didn’t want it to be legal.

If states can and do just ignore federal court rulings as you claim, then why didn’t red states outlaw abortion years and years ago? They didn’t because they had to follow the federal court ruling - just like FL will have to abide by the decision in the lawsuit. It’s literally how our country works.

Last edited:

GrumpyFan

Abortion is actually a really good example of how your claim is totally wrong. Texas has been completely controlled by Republicans for about 2 decades now, and in that entire time they’ve wanted to make abortion illegal. And yet, the didn’t. Why? Because a federal court ruling - Roe v Wade - prevented them from doing so. No red state outlawed abortion until a different federal court ruling allowed them to do so, even though they didn’t want it to be legal.

If states can and do just ignore federal court rulings as you claim, then why didn’t red states outlaw abortion years and years ago? They didn’t because they had to follow the federal court ruling - just like FL will have to abide by the decision in the lawsuit. It’s literally how our country works.
Cecily Strong Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Stripes

A number of Florida Republicans including the state’s Chief Financial Officer have basically said this fight is not a good look for Florida, they hope a deal is ironed out, and/or the political will for continuing this fight has waned.

Of course, DeSantis views this as a must-win but I think many members of his party are far less enthused.

MagicHappens1971

A number of Florida Republicans including the state’s Chief Financial Officer have basically said this fight is not a good look for Florida,
Disney should be working around the clock to go and make amends with Ron DeSantis. You don't want to pick a fight with this guy.”

Not discrediting the basis that there are other republicans, FL officials included who feel that this fight is bad. But above is what Floridas CFO said. Doesn’t really sound like it’s “not a good look for Florida”. It’s not a good look for daddy DeSantis

Stripes

Disney should be working around the clock to go and make amends with Ron DeSantis. You don't want to pick a fight with this guy.”

Not discrediting the basis that there are other republicans, FL officials included who feel that this fight is bad. But above is what Floridas CFO said. Doesn’t really sound like it’s “not a good look for Florida”. It’s not a good look for daddy DeSantis
He gave another interview where, while he was still defending the governor, he wrapped saying: “I think the saber-rattling needs to go away and the men need to sit down and iron this out.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom