News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Nubs70

It's all about aligning everyone with the strategic vision and ensuring consistent messaging. In the corporate world, buzzwords serve as a common language that helps unify teams across different departments and levels of the organization. This alignment is crucial for driving cohesive efforts towards shared goals and ensuring that everyone is on the same page.

Now my question is: do I have an MBA?
You either have one or have been victimized by one that does.

Batman'sParents

or for those who can't see past the paywall:

The Central Florida Tourism Oversight District's supervisor board voted July 24 to bring on attorney Roy Payne as in-house counsel. Until now, the entity that governs Walt Disney World property in Orlando had Fishback Dominick law firm on retainer.

Stephanie Kopelousos, district administrator since March, said the district needs someone who can provide consistent, on-site legal guidance, which external counsel cannot always offer. Board members echoed the sentiment that having an in-house counsel like Payne would ensure the district's legal needs are met more effectively.

“When I came in, I thought it was important for our team to have someone here day to day,” she said.

Before introducing Payne, Kopelousos said she had conducted a search with help from Craig Mateer, the most recent addition to the board.

Payne, who until now was chief assistant city attorney for Orlando, got the job in part due to his 33 years as a lawyer for local government.

"The district, as you know, is a very unique animal,” Payne said. “It's a special kind of organization ... The learning curve is a little more than I was expecting because things are done quite differently here than in your typical municipal corporation or county, but it's been refreshing to be a part of this."

The district’s latest approach to legal counsel is not a reflection on the quality of services provided by Winter Park-based Fishback Dominick, said Vice Chair Charbel Barakat.
Crediting attorneys Kurt Ardaman and Daniel Langley of Fishback — who attended the board meeting — for putting the puzzle pieces of the district in place, he said, "You all have helped us build policies and procedures that have made this a best-in-practice, best-in-breed government going forward. We're going to continue to build on that work and the foundation you all have built."
The district's board members were appointed last year by Gov. Ron DeSantis to replace the Reedy Creek Improvement District special government as part of a year-long feud between the governor and Disney.

Board members said Ardaman and Langley will help transition the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District from outside special counsel to in-house general counsel, particularly concerning ethical and conflict-of-interest issues.

Payne said he already has a prior relationship with Fishback Dominick, having worked with the firm on cases during his tenure with Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom