News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It is unfortunate that they can't (for Disney), as a Floridian I would be sad to see them go, but if it really was that simple, I'm sure they probably would just pack up and go.
Disney is way more “Florida“ than DeSantis. That guy will be long forgotten (maybe sooner than later) and Disney will still be entertaining us in FL. No way they would pack up and leave even if they could.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would imagine other people like myself have brought it up as it's so crazy that the governor of Florida would attack the state's largest employer, one of it's largest taxpayers, and one of the biggest drivers of tourism to Florida.

There are a couple of inaccuracies in that statement. First, Disney is not Florida's largest employer. Walmart is. Disney is the largest SINGLE SITE employer. Disney is a large taxpayer but 80% of Florida's revenue comes from sales tax. Sure Disney plays a factor in sales tax, but not a lions share. Also consider that while Disney does drive quite a bit tourism to central Florida, it's a very big state and there are a ton of people that come here that care less about Disney.

It is unfortunate that they can't (for Disney), as a Floridian I would be sad to see them go, but if it really was that simple, I'm sure they probably would just pack up and go.

I'm a Floridian as well. I don't think about if I'd be happy or sad if they go because I know they just can't do it.

MagicHappens1971

There are a couple of inaccuracies in that statement. First, Disney is not Florida's largest employer. Walmart is. Disney is the largest SINGLE SITE employer.
Well actually, Publix is #1, Disney is #2.
1684290395129.png

Disney is a large taxpayer but 80% of Florida's revenue comes from sales tax. Sure Disney plays a factor in sales tax, but not a lions share.
Okay, so they are the largest taxpayer in Central Florida. Over a billion dollars.
Also consider that while Disney does drive quite a bit tourism to central Florida, it's a very big state and there are a ton of people that come here that care less about Disney.
I can't really find concrete information on the largest driver of tourism in Florida, but Disney is definitely one of the largest.

For a fun fact:
"Orlando’s population grew by more than 165% since Disney World opened, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Its population of 287,442 as of July 1, 2019 is almost triple its population of 99,006 in 1970." link

Orlando would not exist as it does today without Disney, point blank period.

Chi84

Premium Member
Even if Disney wins any of this in Federal court, I doubt that it would affect Florida’s moving forward with this. As California has shown us for decades, Federal law can be ignored by states with little to no consequences, ie. Federal Immigration laws, marijuana laws, gay marriage laws, etc. California lawmakers are also considering ignoring Federal abortion laws. The template for ignoring Federal law is to circumvent them with new state laws, which I’m sure Florida lawmakers would have no problem enacting.
If states can just ignore federal law, why is Florida defending the federal suit and prosecuting their own suit in Florida state court? They could save a lot of time, effort and money by just letting Disney win.

Fair enough. I looked at a few sources and some said Walmart and some said Publix so I went with Walmart. But the my original point remains that Disney is not Florida's largest employer.

Okay, so they are the largest taxpayer in Central Florida. Over a billion dollars.

Compared to Florida's $117B budget, then Disney represents .8% of Florida's revenue according to that metric. My point is that I think some folks overvalue what Disney means to the state of Florida financially overall.

I can't really find concrete information on the largest driver of tourism in Florida, but Disney is definitely one of the largest.

For a fun fact:
"Orlando’s population grew by more than 165% since Disney World opened, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Its population of 287,442 as of July 1, 2019 is almost triple its population of 99,006 in 1970." link

Orlando would not exist as it does today without Disney, point blank period.

100% true. The Orlando area would be nothing today without Disney. But a lot has happened in the last 50 years. Orlando has grown by leaps and bounds. Other players have come into the market more than eager to scoop up Disney's market share. The area has become more than just Disney World. I'll bet Disney's recent rhetoric about not investing in the Florida property has Universal chomping at the bit saying "Please don't. We'll love to have your guests here as we open more and more stuff." Again, my point here is that I think some people are overconfident in Disney's grip of central Florida market share.

MagicHappens1971

The legislature will just enact new laws that will circumvent the federal orders
If they were planning on doing this anyway, why did CFTOD countersue Disney?
California does this all of the time. I know, I was born, raised and lived most of my life there. I saw it firsthand for decades. The lawmakers not only ignore federal laws, they do it with gusto.
Allowing gay marriage or selling marijuana against the wishes of the federal government and using your "gusto" to violate citizens first amendment rights aren't comparable, again, apples to oranges.
Florida will not allow the feds to dictate any of this to them. As you will see, states have incredible power to act alone, when they want to. Especially with no check and balances in place.
I don't personally agree with this viewpoint, nor do I feel that we will find it to be accurate, but time will tell.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A word to the unwise, not everyone that disagrees with you is a troll.
You blew your cover days ago when you said “their politics” in a diatribe about Disneys “issues”
The politics issue here has nothing to do with Disney. It’s a con game and you fell for it like a blind roofer

Sorry, I’m usually the one giving the warnings. But what an insane view of this country’s legal system.
See above. This is a 24/7 cable pundit type.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Allowing gay marriage or selling marijuana against the wishes of the federal government and using your "gusto" to violate citizens first amendment rights aren't comparable, again, apples to oranges.
Mainly because one was never illegal on the federal level and the other they specifically would not enforce for the last 30 years…but they absolutely could if they wanted to and the states would not be able to do much but make speeches…like they do in Florida for nothing now.
I don't personally agree with this viewpoint, nor do I feel that we will find it to be accurate, but time will tell.
Florida has no ability to “stop the feds”

That is beyond stupid for one very obvious reason: they can’t function without federal money. No state can.
This is like an 1859 myth converted to digital.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
2018…this is like a cheap tabloid newspaper

The federal government sues all the time. They win.

But wait…this just in…

Florida is gonna “circumvent” them.
Why didn’t I think of that? I thought it was colonel mustard in the foyer with the candlestick 🧐

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom