News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

JoeCamel

Disney has dragons
Real scary ones......

fig.png

Disstevefan1

When I think about how many years these legal battles will go on I get depressed but then I think, heck, we had WALLS in EPCOT for how many years for the total failure that is the EPCOT renovation, then I think, time will pass, walls will go up and come down and someday we can get back to complaining about, MOBBED theme parks, constant price increases, rained out Christmas parties, etc.

Not that we do not still complain about these things now, but we can better focus on them... someday ;)

TTA94

Don’t bash me for saying or asking this but depending on how things continue to go and in a worse case scenario, would Iger consider shutting down WDW until the situation gets resolved? Obviously it would severely hurt the company but I would think it would also securely hurt the state of FL. Id imagine that would not be a good situation for DeSantis to be in.

JoeCamel

Don’t bash me for saying or asking this but depending on how things continue to go and in a worse case scenario, would Iger consider shutting down WDW until the situation gets resolved? Obviously it would severely hurt the company but I would think it would also securely hurt the state of FL. Id imagine that would not be a good situation for DeSantis to be in.
No that would not be an option for a host of reasons

But…hypothetically it would cripple the state In about 3 Months.

The destruction would be shocking.

But it’s not a possibility as you said
I can see some flaws in that hypothetical. All theme parks everywhere were shut down for about 4 months for covid, yet the state of Florida survived. Orange country survived. No shocking destruction as you put it.

Just stating the facts.

MagicHappens1971

I can see some flaws in that hypothetical. All theme parks everywhere were shut down for about 4 months for covid, yet the state of Florida survived. Orange country survived. No shocking destruction as you put it.

Just stating the facts.
The global pandemic's effect on the theme park/hospitality industry isn't a fair comparison of what would happen to Orlando if next week WDW decided to shut down permanently. (this is never happening)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why would Disney have any desire to hurt the state of FL? There are 75,000 CMs at WDW (and hundreds of thousands more people indirectly employed around WDW) who live in FL who would be instantly unemployed not to mention thousands of guests (or maybe millions depending how long the shut down lasts) who would be severely disappointed their vacations were ruined. Disney also wants to keep printing money at WDW in FL. The whole lawsuit was filed to keep control of the special district so they can continue business as usual in FL without government interference. Disney is not in this to win an argument on moral grounds or to win on principle and I don’t think they have any interest in hurting the state or even the government itself (despite the opposite not being true). It’s mostly about business and making money but Disney also has the PR side of this locked down. The vast majority of the public (and more importantly their customers) side with them on this. If they send thousands to the unemployment lines and ruin a bunch of kid’s vacations that good will will dry up mighty quickly.

The global pandemic's effect on the theme park/hospitality industry isn't a fair comparison of what would happen to Orlando if next week WDW decided to shut down permanently. (this is never happening)
If it's never happening then why even think about the ramifications? It just seems like a waste of brain cycles to me. They can't just pack up Disney World in U-Hauls and move it so Disney is forever tied to Florida. It's just a question of how everything is going to move forward.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Just stating the facts.
CMs still got paid for a little while after the shut down. There were also trillions in Federal dollars spread around to keep people whole, paying rent, buying food, paying their taxes, etc. Sadly, this lawsuit won’t be resolved in 4 months either so you would be looking at a much longer shut down. It would absolutely be devastating to the local economy. No question that’s a fact. There’s also no way Disney would have any desire to hurt the local economy. Also, no question that’s a fact.

Chip Chipperson

True. The federal government isn't going to give FL any emergency funds for something like that. Still not happening but it's not apples to apples.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

If it's never happening then why even think about the ramifications?
I would imagine other people like myself have brought it up as it's so crazy that the governor of Florida would attack the state's largest employer, one of it's largest taxpayers, and one of the biggest drivers of tourism to Florida.
It just seems like a waste of brain cycles to me. They can't just pack up Disney World in U-Hauls and move it so Disney is forever tied to Florida. It's just a question of how everything is going to move forward.
It is unfortunate that they can't (for Disney), as a Floridian I would be sad to see them go, but if it really was that simple, I'm sure they probably would just pack up and go, if this were to continue.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom