News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

tissandtully

I also think we live in an age where children can find whatever they want on the internet on the iPad's they're practically handed at birth. People are not nearly as sheltered as Bridget and her "Mothers on a Crusade".
I don't see her standing outside R rated movies and stopping kids from entering with their parents. It is not illegal to bring your kid to such movies, some theaters may have rules, but they are hardly enforced or they don't exist at all.

Brian

I wasn't aware that "culture war" was a topic within the RCID/CFTOD charter? Is there something in the legislation I missed that covers this responsibility?
So Ziegler and her colleagues were appointed to the board instead of individuals with experience running a special district because...?

I'm one of the most conservative members of this site, and I'll gladly admit she and the others were appointed because of their "culture warrior" bona fides.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I think the "one bad book" example is somewhere between a straw man and a red herring. It doesn't really speak to a systematic issue with books children are reading.
If you think it’s one bad book, well…I don’t know what to tell you. And the fact that so many people entrusted with the education of children cannot even agree to pull this “one bad book” is the reason why there are concerned parents out there.

MagicHappens1971

I wasn't aware that "culture war" was a topic within the RCID/CFTOD charter? Is there something in the legislation I missed that covers this responsibility?
Not officially. If it wasn't "understood" by his appointees, then he would've chosen people that have experience running a special district rather than forging his battles. But then again, if he wasn't a bigot with a penchant for a culture war, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

MagicHappens1971

If you think it’s one bad book, well…I don’t know what to tell you. And the fact that so many people entrusted with the education of children cannot even agree to pull this “out bad book” is the reason why there are concerned parents out there.
So, do you think this book should also be banned from high schools? Should we institute age checking at Barnes & Nobles?

LittleBuford

Is it a Disney publication?

Surely telling us if said example is a Disney publication wouldn't break any site rules.

Perhaps an example title of a Disney publication (book, movie, whatever) that would meet the standard of so profane it should be removed from schools?

Otherwise, it's hard to fathom how it would be related to using control of RCID to impact Disney content......
We’re talking about a group that thinks it’s appropriate to investigate a teacher for showing Disney’s Strange World, for goodness’ sake. The idea that they’re limiting their endeavours to more adult content is nonsense.

lazyboy97o

Then why can one not admit both would be good? Recognize that the law has room for adjustment while also being okay with getting these types of books out of school. The default is always “they want to ban books!!” Well, look at the books..it makes sense to not have in schools.
The whole purpose is to cast a wide net which is seen in the wide variety of books being removed. Point to one thing as a focus and take a dozen others with it.

So Ziegler and her colleagues were appointed to the board instead of individuals with experience running a special district because...? I'm one of the most far-right people on this site, and I'll gladly admit she and the others were appointed because of their "culture warrior" bona fides.
Why don’t you tell us? Is the governor just that bad at his job that he picked people who he didn’t think could accomplish their mission?

Brian

Why don’t you tell us? Is the governor just that bad at his job that he picked people who he didn’t think could accomplish their mission?
No, he picked people that he knew would carry forward the "culture war" mission he has personally participated in and even championed. He is quite good at his job in that sense that he identified someone like Ziegler who, despite her flaws (as evidenced by the scandal), is extremely passionate about the issues which started this whole thread.

lazyboy97o

No, he picked people that he knew would carry forward the "culture war" mission he has personally participated in and even championed. He is quite good at his job in that sense that he identified someone like Ziegler who, despite her flaws (as evidenced by the scandal), is extremely passionate about the issues which started this whole thread.
So he picked people to do a job he knew they could never accomplish? And the Board is suing to open up their most discretionary power for completely unrelated reasons?

LittleBuford

You seem to share the group’s obsession with Ziegler, even if you’ve reached a very different conclusion about her.

Brian

So he picked people to do a job he knew they could never accomplish? And the Board is suing to open up their most discretionary power for completely unrelated reasons?
That's not what I said. I said that they were picked because he knew that they could carry forward "the mission." That doesn't mean they also can't do the job of running the district.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Ding ding ding. Certain folks love to cherry-pick examples and use it as a systemic issue when all it is ... is one example without context in a complicated system.
That's right. I could also list a number of books that have been banned by authors such as Ernest Hemingway and Arthur C Clarke. Did you know 2001: A Space Odyssey is banned in Collier County?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Then why can one not admit both would be good? Recognize that the law has room for adjustment while also being okay with getting these types of books out of school. The default is always “they want to ban books!!” Well, look at the books..it makes sense to not have in schools.

If people were only pushing to ban clearly inappropriate books it might be possible to have a more balanced approach to this, but that is not the reality we live in. There are people who want to remove any book that shows a gay couple because they are afraid it will turn their children gay.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
No, he picked people that he knew would carry forward the "culture war" mission he has personally participated in and even championed. He is quite good at his job in that sense that he identified someone like Ziegler who, despite her flaws (as evidenced by the scandal), is extremely passionately hypocritical about the issues which started this whole thread.
FTFY

Brian

You seem to share the group’s obsession with Ziegler, even if you’ve reached a very different conclusion about her.
What would that conclusion be? I have repeatedly said, and I sincerely believe, that she should resign and that her infidelity was unbecoming.

Disney Analyst

That's right. I could also list a number of books that have been banned by authors such as Ernest Hemingway and Arthur C Clarke. Did you know 2001: A Space Odyssey is banned in Collier County?

The ironic thing about banning books, is that it’s such a blatant tool of corrupt governments who want to control their populace, the very thing they preach against.

If they take away your individual power to educate yourself, and see other perspectives, to read a story; this usually means they are afraid of what that education does to their prospects of power.

UNCgolf

I don't think there are any books that should be banned from high school libraries.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom