News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Brian

I have not read this specific book, so I do not feel inclined to comment on it based on the words of others.
Ah yes, Mr Free Speech telling us the government has a role in censoring speech.
I'd quote some passages from it here, but it would violate many of the rules of the site. That should tell you everything you need to know to make an educated assumption that it doesn't belong in the hands of schoolchildren.

Anyway, I didn't mean to get in the way of your weekly Ziegler bash-a-thon. Enjoy!

lazyboy97o

I'd quote some passages from it here, but it would violate many of the rules of the site. That should tell you everything you need to know to make an educated assumption that it doesn't belong in the hands of schoolchildren.

Anyway, I didn't mean to get in the way of your weekly Ziegler bash-a-thon. Enjoy!
I’m not talking about this book. It’s not on topic. You just told us it would be good for us to understand how Ziegler wants to “reform” (censor) Disney.

Brian

I’m not talking about this book. It’s not on topic. You just told us it would be good for us to understand how Ziegler wants to “reform” (censor) Disney.
I'm not advocating for Ziegler to reform/censor Disney. Not only that, but as I've discussed recently, there is virtually no means of her accomplishing that by way of her position on the CFTOD board. She would need to get on the Board of Directors of TWDC to have the kind of influence she is allegedly seeking.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
"The Republican Party of Florida ousted Christian Ziegler earlier this month as police investigated allegations against him."

FWIW, according to the Associated Press, the police have recommended dropping the most serious charge since the video he made of the encounter supports his contention that the activity was consensual.

HOWEVER -- and it's a big however -- the police are now recommending charging him with illegally recording the encounter without the other party's knowledge, as the woman involved denies authorizing a recording.

8dft0q.gif

MagicHappens1971

I'm not advocating for Ziegler to reform/censor Disney. Not only that, but as I've discussed recently, there is virtually no means of her accomplishing that by way of her position on the CFTOD board. She would need to get on the Board of Directors of TWDC to have the kind of influence she is allegedly seeking.
It’s not alleged. That was what DeSantis and his cronies hoped to accomplish. They thought they would make Disney's life miserable at WDW & bargain for constraints on their content.

Brian

It’s not alleged. That was what DeSantis and his cronies hoped to accomplish. They thought they would make Disney's life miserable at WDW & bargain for constraints on their content.
Jeff Vahle: "Oh no! We can't get a permit to replace the sign on Amorette's Patisserie because that bigot Ziegler wants us to get rid of our entire global DEI initiative!"

Bob Iger: *fires entire DEI department*

:rolleyes:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
However, I believe that is what she thought she was getting into when she was appointed. She then quickly realized she would be voting on water treatment and sewage works.

LittleBuford

It doesn’t really tell us anything. I could quote grim passages about war crimes from a history textbook and they too wouldn’t be allowed to stand here.

In case you’re not aware, the author himself has made clear that the book isn’t appropriate for those under 14 years of age.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Should a young child be allowed that book? No.

Should the law be amended to have be more SPECIFIC as to what defines a prohibited book?
Then why can one not admit both would be good? Recognize that the law has room for adjustment while also being okay with getting these types of books out of school. The default is always “they want to ban books!!” Well, look at the books..it makes sense to not have in schools.

MagicHappens1971

Then why can one not admit both would be good? Recognize that the law has room for adjustment while also being okay with getting these types of books out of school. The default is always “they want to ban books!!” Well, look at the books..it makes sense to not have in schools.
The encompassing issue is that a VERY partisan governor should not be instituting this policy, it should be up to local schools & their educators.

mmascari

I'd post a video of one of her fellow Moms for Liberty leader Tiffany Justice on MSNBC's The Reid Out the other night, in which she discusses one of the "banned books," but the content of the book she quotes is so profane that it would break site rules.
Is it a Disney publication?

Surely telling us if said example is a Disney publication wouldn't break any site rules.

Perhaps an example title of a Disney publication (book, movie, whatever) that would meet the standard of so profane it should be removed from schools?

Otherwise, it's hard to fathom how it would be related to using control of RCID to impact Disney content......

mmascari

Imho, the CFTOD's unwillingness to remove her is indicative of the work they personally hope to accomplish, and her role in accomplishing it, rather than a loyalty to the governor. They want her onboard as a "culture war warrior" to help achieve their goals.
I wasn't aware that "culture war" was a topic within the RCID/CFTOD charter? Is there something in the legislation I missed that covers this responsibility?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Because as the law is written now, it is NOT good.

Fix the law.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom