News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Brian

The Florida GOP is not part of state government. So, they can take a vote and remove him. She, on the other hand, is a Governor-appointed board member. Perhaps the Governor was distracted until Sunday. Now he has more time to focus as Governor. We'll just have to see.
Indeed, but as the Republican governor of the state, DeSantis is the de facto leader of the Florida GOP, much in the same way that the incumbent POTUS, being a Democrat, is the de facto leader of the DNC.

DeSantis has tremendous influence over the party in his role as the state's highest ranking Republican officeholder.

MagicHappens1971

Indeed, but as the Republican governor of the state, DeSantis is the de facto leader of the Florida GOP, much in the same way that the incumbent POTUS, being a Democrat, is the de facto leader of the DNC.

DeSantis has tremendous influence over the party in his role as the state's highest ranking Republican officeholder.
Not as much any more, he just embarrassingly lost the presidential primary, and is a lame duck governor. They won’t bow down to their “leader” (if you can call him that) any more

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

My prediction, she will be out within the next 2 to 3 weeks...

lazyboy97o

I agree, but wouldn't the Florida GOP, which forcefully removed Christian Ziegler by a 199-3 vote, also be part of team DeSantis?

Imho, the CFTOD's unwillingness to remove her is indicative of the work they personally hope to accomplish, and her role in accomplishing it, rather than a loyalty to the governor. They want her onboard as a "culture war warrior" to help achieve their goals.
The governor is the only one with legal authority to remove a board member.

MagicHappens1971

"Immoral"? What does that mean?

I thought that term was taken out of the Oxford Dictionary as obsolete...
That’s really the problem here. No one cares who she sleeps with, it’s the fact that she feels the need to dictate what others do with their lives…. And then she turns around and does something many in her party would be in shock about. Because of their “Christian beliefs”

MagicHappens1971

I'd post a video of one of her fellow Moms for Liberty leader Tiffany Justice on MSNBC's The Reid Out the other night, in which she discusses one of the "banned books," but the content of the book she quotes is so profane that it would break site rules. Feel free to look it up on X or YouTube.

That's the kind of stuff that she and Ziegler are trying to keep out of school libraries. Something that is profane enough to be banned from discussion on a website frequented primarily by adults, but is somehow supposed to be OK for elementary school children.

Ziegler is absolutely a hypocrite in her personal life, but she is spot on in her and her group's objections to that book and others like it.
Oh please.

MagicHappens1971

Ok, I guess I'll ask you and @tissandtully (who claims I have brainworms for being opposed to this smut): do you think that this book is appropriate for school children?
It’s not about that one book, it’s the whole principle of the organization. They don’t want anyone reading anything that doesn’t fit their view of the world. I don’t agree with a bigoted women dictating what children are reading.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Ok, I guess I'll ask you and @tissandtully (who claims I have brainworms for being opposed to this smut): do you think that this book is appropriate for school children?

If not, congrats! You agree with Bridget Ziegler. If yes, find a psychiatrist.

It's not whether or not one agrees or doesn't disagree.

At the very beginning the laws that were put in place for this have been SO VAGUELY WRITTEN as to allow for abuse and silencing of speech that is critical.

Should a young child be allowed that book? No.

Should the law be amended to have be more SPECIFIC as to what defines an prohibited book? YES!

Last edited:

tissandtully

At the very beginning the laws that were put in place for this have been SO VAGUELY WRITTEN as to allow for abuse and silencing of speech that is critical.

Should the law be amended to have be more SPECIFIC as to what defines an prohibited book?
Parental rights party is against personal responsibility. It's as simple as that.

EDIT: The laughing emojis are back because he doesn't have a solid argument.

JohnD

Should the law be amended to have be more SPECIFIC as to what defines an prohibited book?
The Legislature is currently in session until the first week of March. Let's see if there's a "glitch" bill that amends this law.

Figgy1

Premium Member

Some groups don't do nuance;)

Brian

It’s not about that one book, it’s the whole principle of the organization. They don’t want anyone reading anything that doesn’t fit their view of the world. I don’t agree with a bigoted women dictating what children are reading.
That's fine. I also don't like the idea of a group of people broadly dictating what can and cannot be read.

But this specific book, All Boys Aren't Blue; is it appropriate for school children? That's a yes or no question.

I will say this: it's OK to be aligned from time to time with people you would otherwise vehemently disagree with. A broken clock is right twice a day. If your position is that Ziegler is on a crusade as a member of the CFTOD board to somehow reform Disney much in the same way that she is trying to reform school libraries, I'd posit that knowing the specifics of what she is doing in school libraries is important.

MagicHappens1971

That's fine. I also don't like the idea of a group of people broadly dictating what can and cannot be read.

But this specific book, All Boys Aren't Blue; is it appropriate for school children? That's a yes or no question.

I will say this: it's OK to be aligned from time to time with people you would otherwise vehemently disagree with. A broken clock is right twice a day. If your position is that Ziegler is on a crusade as a member of the CFTOD board to somehow reform Disney much in the same way that she is trying to reform school libraries, I'd posit that knowing the specifics of what she is doing in school libraries is important.
I have not read this specific book, so I do not feel inclined to comment on it based on the words of others.

My point stands, that I don’t think people like Bridget should be censoring or dictating what children are reading.

lazyboy97o

Ah yes, Mr Free Speech telling us the government has a role in censoring speech.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom