News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Nevermore525

That's probably debatable. Didn't the former studies show that RCID was a Win-Win for both Disney and the state? That would mean "competent governance" was to keep not remove RCID. 🤔
Oh they did, and it was a win win. And yes, a competent governor and legislature would’ve known to leave it alone.

But if the state was dead set on going down the road of dissolving it, do it competently. Not fumbling through the dark like they did

lazyboy97o

Did anyone ever compile a list of these special things that were/are only available to Disney?

I seem to remember that a Special District is a legal thing in FL available to anyone who wants to create one within a standard creation process. Which would imply that others don't have them the same way is a choice not a restriction.

I remember lots of false talking points for things RCID granted to Disney that are not things RCID actually grants to Disney. I don't remember anyone ever actually showing that Disney was granted special powers that are not also available to others that go through the same special district creation process.

My favorite (not that you've said this, I don't remember) is still, that RCID let Disney avoid paying taxes but somehow CFTOD does not. A statement that is clearly wrong in many ways.
There are powers that are/were unique to Reedy Creek Improvement District not available to other special districts. Context though matters.

Other districts can provide utilities except electricity because the state has since been carved up into service areas (monopolies) that are generally controlled by private companies. I can’t think of a more special privilege than saying everyone in an area has to be your customer.

Other districts do not exercise zoning control. Large land owners can acquire de facto zoning control by having their land designated as a planned development.

Other districts are not a building authority. If they establish fire and/or utility services they can be part of the permitting process but they do not fully control it. They also cannot adopt their own building code. The District though was established before the state required local governments to enforce a building code, and when they did the EPCOT Building Code was one of the model codes approved by the state. Following Hurricane Andrew the state embarked on a near decade long process of reviewing all existing codes and developing the singular Florida Building Code. The report that reviewed the state’s various codes and jurisdiction was generally scathing and alarming but the District was noted more in passing when it too could have been identified as problematic. Because the Florida Building Code is state law, the EPCOT Codes cannot effectively include provisions that are less restrictive.

Last edited:

mmascari

There are powers that are/were unique to Reedy Creek Improvement District not available to other special districts. Context though matters.
Thanks.
Other districts can provide utilities except electricity because the state has since been carved up into service areas (monopolies) that are generally controlled by private companies. I can’t think of a more special privilege than saying everyone in an area has to be your customer.
So, if FL wanted to bring RCID in compliance with this change, they could have carved out the area and given electric utility rights to a private company. Making it the same as other areas. I bet there's a private company that could make a very competitive bid to provide this service within the RCID boundary.

Other districts do not exercise zoning control. Large land owners can acquire de facto zoning control by having their land designated as a planned development.
Is there a difference in outcome between the two? Something around public right away within the area, ability to apply rules to other owners within the area, something else that either one grants or excludes making them different?

Other districts are not a building authority. If they establish fire and/or utility services they can be part of the permitting process but they do not fully control it. They also cannot adopt their own building code. The District though was established before the state required local governments to enforce a building code, and when they did the EPCOT Building Code was one of the model codes approved by the state. Following Hurricane Andrew the state embarked on a near decade long process of reviewing all existing codes and developing the singular Florida Building Code. The report that reviewed the state’s various codes and jurisdiction was generally scathing and alarming but the District was noted more in passing when it too could have been identified as a problematic. Because the Florida Building Code is state law, the EPCOT Codes cannot effectively include provisions that are less restrictive.
So, it's not changing the minimum, but RCID can apply a higher standard? If FL wanted to remove this power then, they could allow for the less restrictive rules. Disney would still be free to self impose higher rules. Bringing them in line with other districts.

Those all sound like much more reasonable changes to RCID to get it in line with changes to government structure instead of "grandfather in" an older setup.

Too bad that's not at all what was proposed or done. :(

Stripes

Premium Member
That's fine. I also don't like the idea of a group of people broadly dictating what can and cannot be read.

But this specific book, All Boys Aren't Blue; is it appropriate for school children? That's a yes or no question.

I will say this: it's OK to be aligned from time to time with people you would otherwise vehemently disagree with. A broken clock is right twice a day. If your position is that Ziegler is on a crusade as a member of the CFTOD board to somehow reform Disney much in the same way that she is trying to reform school libraries, I'd posit that knowing the specifics of what she is doing in school libraries is important.
Public schools are under no obligation to purchase or keep a book on the shelf. For young school children, I’d certainly agree that schools should not purchase and libraries should not make available books that contain more than romance, kissing, and hugs.

For high school students, I’d say sexual content is fine so long as it’s in the context of being educational.

Regardless, what any of these books have to do with Disney is beyond me. Did Disney publish these books? Did Disney say they wanted these books in school libraries. No, they did not.

GrumpyFan

To bring it all back around.

Disney has nothing to do with this - they're being punished NOT for being critical of the government, but because they stopped their campaign contributions.

If Disney hadn't stopped donating, RCID would still be a thing, and there wouldn't be actual Nazis protesting regularly outside of Disney Springs with signs called it Pedo-World.
Disagree.
Desantis tried to leverage the "woke agenda" and fighting Disney which is part of Hollywood as part of his political campaign. He was hoping it would win him favor with the far right and send a message and make him look strong to the rest of the nation.

GrumpyFan

Disney only became "woke" when they stopped donating to him and Florida politicians.
I wasn't arguing whether they were woke or not.
Just that Desantis labeled them as such and tried to fight them on it on the national stage to leverage his campaign.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Everyone be careful or the pages will be deleted again.

I still want to know what the guy complaining about the price of eggs and gas was going to make with the eggs. My post got taken down twice with all of the bad people who would dare link the governor’s agenda, his political party and a made up retaliation to a corporation who didn’t agree with his edicts.

So once again random poster, what were you going to make with the eggs?
Shakshuka

MR.Dis

So much discussion how Disney is being punished by the CFTOD. So it has been almost one year, Can some please supply me with a list of all the projects that the CFTOD has interfered with. What demands they have made that Disney has had to change their plans???

GrumpyFan

So much discussion how Disney is being punished by the CFTOD. So it has been almost one year, Can some please supply me with a list of all the projects that the CFTOD has interfered with. What demands they have made that Disney has had to change their plans???
I would be curious to see a list like this as well. Not sure it exists, but maybe someone here can provide something.
I think this first year was spent with a lot of political squabbling over their effective powers.

It's not exactly Disney necessarily, but the first big change that comes to mind is the impact the change has had on RCID employees, specifically the fire & rescue who have lost some of their theme park access privileges.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The ability of the CFTOD to interfere with Disney has been greatly hampered by the contract the RCID board made with Disney before they were replaced. The CFTOD now has very little power left. And that's why the state legislature tried to undo the contract through legislative fiat (normally an unconstitutional thing to do) and why the CFTOD is suing Disney (but if the legislature took care of it... what's there to sue about? Hmm?).

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I would be curious to see a list like this as well. Not sure it exists, but maybe someone here can provide something.

Uhh.. how about forcing the two cities to spend money to duplicate services and do their own implementation of what have been shared services for decades? Total waste of money.

How about negotiating a contract with the fire department that clearly wasn't on the same terms as the prior management wanted?

How about forcing how many tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees to be spent on legal actions due to undesirable paths?

How about spending hundreds of thousands of tax dollars on revisionist hit-piece reports created to push political agendas?

How about how much institutional knowledge has been lost with the dozens of employees that have left the district?

How about setting up of new fees and penalty fees that were enacted without any examples of past issues?

You can't really point to Disney projects per say simply because a few simple facts. 1) The board can't go after what's already been done... so Disney can avoid conflict by simply not pushing the topic and 2) The entire comprehensive plan is already bogged down in a lawsuit, so both sides know its basically hands off.

The board has 'stayed in their lane' by focusing on trying to rearchitect the District's administrative structure to match what their narrative by trying to paint a picture of how bad it was ran before... all while happily spending someone else's money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom