Rebranding Pop Century?

hpyhnt 1000

I really hope Disney doesn't waste money by rebranding Pop Century. Honestly, I don't know what they are trying to accomplish. So, lets, for arguments sake, say the All Stars are at a 95% occupancy rate and PC is at 85%. By rebranding, they increase the occuancy rate at PC by, lets say, 5%. Now, where do you think this 5% has come from? I doubt your going to get an influx of guests from off-site simply because you've "rebranded" the resort. This 5% is probably going to come from the All Stars! So, you've spent a couple million simply to redistribute your on-site guests between the value results. Great, now you can say PC is equal in occupancy with the AS; point is, its the same number of guests you had before! You didn't bring in anyone new, you just shuffled the people you already had around a bit! What difference does it make if a few more stay in one resort over the other? All that matters is that they're on property!

Personally, I like the resort as it is, and find the theme kinda neat. Spend the money on getting the Legendary Years completed instead of letting them rot like they were involved in a nuclear fallout, and leave the theme alone. i think the family suites are a great idea, since they seemed to be in rather high demand. In the long run, I don't see how rebranding will make a significant difference, so why bother? :shrug:

mrerk

Premium Member
Any idea what the reference to Animation Inn and Suites on http://www.tricityplanroom.com/ is all about?

I am not sure if it has been posted yet but 2 permits were filed on 11/7/2008 with the name "Disney Animation Inn and Suites" on them. They were for a wall mock up and a model suite. The model called for a 2050 square foot room which would be considerably larger than the standard value suite made up of 2 value rooms. Also the location given of this project does not pull up in the Orange County, or Osceola County maps so I can not confirm its location as Pop Century. If someone can look at the location on the permit and confirm it we will have a much better idea of what is going on.

Disney Animation Suites

Wall panel mock up
Construct model room

If you look at the plan on the tricity site they show a view where within an existing building they are building the mockups. This building has a unique shape to it. I looked at the aerial view of Pop and the lobby/check in area is the same shape.

According to the construct model room docs it will be in an existing building so maybe we can assume the mock up will be in the unfinished part of pop.

Yep, looks to be the lobby area of the Legendary Years side of Pop.

This article doesn't make any since.

".. rebranding all of Pop Century so that it then can become a new family-friendly Resort, Disney's Animation Inn and Suites."

- Pop Century is already family-friendly

".. has never been able to maintain the same sort of steady high occupancy rate that Disney's All-Stars typically enjoy (Those three Value Resorts regularly experience occupancy rates of 95% and higher. Whereas Pop Century's occupancy rate is typically stuck in the 80s). "

- Pop Century has more rooms than an All-Stars so obviously an All-Stars will have a higher occupancy percent since its buildings will fill up faster

".. As one Disney Parks & Resorts insider recently told me:
"Baby boomers may think that it's cool to see a huge can of Play-Doh or a giant Big Wheel. But these oversized icons had zero appeal for their parents or their children."

- First off, said insider could be anyone. Second, one's "insider's" opinion is probably not going to reflect the entire WDW staff/admin

- Third, I have heard kids and parents alike say that they love a lot of the icons (example: a 3 year old thought the Pac-man motif on the 80s buildings was the coolest thing ever.)

- Fourth, who doesn't like Play-Doh???? How is that not kid-friendly?

Hearing it from both fellow tourists at WDW and from fellow board members, Pop Century seems to be the most popular of the value resorts. Every time I've stayed there its been very busy. What would they gain from changing it?

The legendary buildings would be so sweet if they were completed. I could just imagine some Sunset Blvd. type music from the 30s being played there.

"Pop Century is da coolest!" :cool:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If you look at the plan on the tricity site they show a view where within an existing building they are building the mockups. This building has a unique shape to it. I looked at the aerial view of Pop and the lobby/check in area is the same shape.
What software did you use to open the plan? I can not find anything to open a *.ica file and a search reveals next to nothing.

surfsupdon

I remember being a little kid running for cross country practice around Barefoot Bay at Caribbean Beach and seeing the model rooms out behind Trinidad South behind some trees. CMs of Caribbean Beach had told me those buildings housed a lot of the housekeeping vehicles.

The All Stars are always booked solid b/c of the Pop Warners and Class Trips and special events for kids that are always booking blocks of rooms there. Disney wants the All Stars to cater to the groups of kids and Pop Ceentury to be more for the family vacationing. That is why the All Stars are usually booked more often.

CBOMB

In looking at the unfinished portion of Pop Century and deciding exactly what to do with it, they are probably also wrestling with the question of how to tie it in, or not, with the existing portion of the resort across the lake.

:)

I'm sure Disney wouldn't want 2 differently themed resorts right across the bridge from each other. But maybe they should just blow up the bridge, keep PC as is, and treat Animation Inn & Suites as an entirely separate resort.
Legitamate questions, but look how easily they blended Port Orleans, and Dixie Landings together. They were completely different resorts even though they were considered sister resorts. You could walk from one to the other. I think they were better served with seperate identities rather than both being labeled Port Orleans. Beside WDW should be the master of visual barriers by now.

scpergj

It is called Citrix Client and is on the help section of their site.

http://www.tricityplanroom.com/problems.htm

Yeah, it's a Citrix file (or icon). Be careful installing the ICA client - or as it is called now, the XenApp client. It's usually harmless inside of a business network (since most Citrix farms are business use), but unless you are very careful, it could open your computer to attack. I say could, as I have never seen it happen - and I've been setting up Citrix farms for about 6 years.

You could always install the client, check it out, then uninstall the client. That's the way I'd handle it...

Kevin

WDW1974

Some not so random, random thoughts:

Jim's column has a basis in reality as Disney is trying to decide what to do with the ghetto-like construction of the second 'half' of POP.

POP is less popular than the All Stars, especially Movies (which is so popular -- and dumpy -- that is hasn't received a rehab since opening in 1999 because it operates at such a high load level). But POP's buildings have four floors and that means it takes more folks to fill it up.

Jim's point about the timing of having Music and DAK Lodge mockups at the same time is totally off ... Disney used to (and may still) keep the mockups for ALL future resort rooms near the cast building at CBR (used to be the middle of nowhere before POP was added). I recall going back there with a friend about a decade ago and both rooms featured in Jim's piece were on display. They may still be for all I know. It is a fact that Eisner stayed there in a WL mockup in the early 1990s!

CBR and POP are operated almost like one resort and CBR is being characterized with Nemo and Pirates, so from that standpoint, it certainly makes sense.

Disney also believes it must shove its characters on everything to appeal to guests (of course it is wrong and it is WalMarting its product by doing so but ...) so I can see them saying 'why have a Big Wheel or a Juke Box when we could have a giant Ariel or Buzz?'

But regardless of whether his info is largely true (and I believe it to be, even though I just now read his column and haven't asked around), it leaves out the most salient point -- and this is, regardless of whether or how much the economy rebounds, if Disney should be adding ANY rooms at all to its inventory.

I don't know how anyone in their right mind can say Disney needs more hotel rooms and timeshares.

The reason the parks are so stale is because those places are such a drag on the bottom line when they aren't at 65% and above occupancy. And when you have 30,000 rooms to fill that's a tall order when people are losing jobs and retirement accounts and savings and homes.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It is called Citrix Client and is on the help section of their site.

http://www.tricityplanroom.com/problems.htm
Thanks.

There is not much that you can tell form the electrical plans except that these are not the current POP century buildings getting remodeled into suites AKA the All Star Suites. If this is going up at POP it will more than likely take over the Classic years site. There were rumors floating around about the need to demolish the existing buildings anyway so that would make the most sense. However, when I pull up the Legendary years site on the Orange county property Appraiser's map it does not even come close to the description on the permit. Per the appraiser's site that piece of property is designated as Section:31 Township:24 Range:28 the permit lists the location at Section:21 Township:22s Range:26e. Orange county has no Range 26e and Section 21 would put this piece of property just north of DTD and east of the north service area.

At this point I am officially confused.:shrug:

mrerk

Premium Member
Thanks.

There is not much that you can tell form the electrical plans except that these are not the current POP century buildings getting remodeled into suites AKA the All Star Suites. If this is going up at POP it will more than likely take over the Classic years site. There were rumors floating around about the need to demolish the existing buildings anyway so that would make the most sense. However, when I pull up the Legendary years site on the Orange county property Appraiser's map it does not even come close to the description on the permit. Per the appraiser's site that piece of property is designated as Section:31 Township:24 Range:28 the permit lists the location at Section:21 Township:22s Range:26e. Orange county has no Range 26e and Section 21 would put this piece of property just north of DTD and east of the north service area.

At this point I am officially confused.:shrug:

I don't know how to explain the discrepancy in the appraiser's address, but it sure looks like the mock ups are being built in the Legendary Years food court. Unless Disney has other buildings with that footprint. Beyond that who knows . :shrug:

wayneway

I think the theme is "alright", IMO the location could be better, for some reason I just don't feel like I'm at WDW when I'm at POP, just seems detached from everything else.

jt04

I think the theme is "alright", IMO the location could be better, for some reason I just don't feel like I'm at WDW when I'm at POP, just seems detached from everything else.

I would not be suprised if it becomes officially detached someday. As in "sold to the highest bidder".

surfsupdon

And see, when and if I am forced to stay at a Value my choice has always been Pop and will continue to be Pop. I really was surprised with my first stay there--it was a really fun, great place.

It's the only Value with lake view rooms. Throw in a marina and get some boat rentals and it'd be even better--and possibly more appealing to the average Guest.

Kman101

I really enjoy the Pop Century. My kids like it too. I can't believe it is "less appealing" and that Disney thinks the theming was a mistake. Well, hopefully they do a good job with the "redo" if they do go through with it.

Two things that did catch my eye in the article:

Interesting that the Pop is "less" occupied than the All Stars, because when I make last minute reservations, Pop always seems to be booked. But, I am always offered an available All Stars Room instead.

Also, I truly hope that Disney keeps "Pop", or whatever they decide to call, a Value Resort and not recatagorize it to a moderate resort. That would make me upset to have one less Value resort to chose from, especially it being Pop Century. :fork:

I agree with that. Pop almost is never available for last minute reservations, yet nearly all of the All Stars pop up as alternate choices.

I hope Pop Century stays. I really prefer it of all the Value resorts (the three All Stars, although I do like them). I think All Stars could benefit from the Animation rebranding more.

Disneyfan63

Pop Century

We're going to br staying at Pop Century in a few weeks and we love it!! I hope they don't change anything!!! I agree with using the money and effort to refurb the All Stars. We stayed at Movies last year and I was saddened by the condition of things especially the eating area and the laundromat. The floor in the eating area was disgusting and the washers and dryers need to be replaced. I decided I do not want to go back to Movies until they make some repairs and upgrades.

dxwwf3

Hopefully this rumor doesn't come true or they just finish the unbuilt part and make it a completely sepearate resort with this theme. I absolutely adore Pop's theme now, as pop culture is my favorite aspect of history.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom