Rebranding Pop Century?

:ROFLOL:

I hope they do keep Pop Century, Pop and change the "Legendary" years to the Animation Inn & Suites. Honestly, when I thought about them building the "Legendary" years, I couldn't imagine that that resort's theme would really do anything...meaning, how many guests would choose to stay at a resort like that? At least with stuff from the 50s-90s, there's gonna be something people reconginze, but with the 40s-00s...I mean...that just doesn't have the same type of appeal. It doesn't sound as if it could be as fun and kitchy. I don't know...it just didn't work as well for me as the 50s-90s does. So, I think re-branding that half is a really good idea.

I think the 00s-40s would be awsome! Just think of how cool Sunset Blvd. and Tower of Terror are themed to the 1930s/1940s, and how cool Main Street USA is themed to the 1900s. The theming would be so cool. I'd bet that one of the giant icons in the 20s section would be Steamboat Willie Mickey. A cool giant icon for the 40s would be WWII Donald. Just imagine walking through the 40s section with bomber motifs on the buildings and old war-time music being broadcast.

Apologies, I did not read through the whole post. So if this is a repeat, sorry.

I find it hard to believe that a hotel opened in late 2003 will be changed completely in 2009. Also, Pop is always packed. I had a hard time getting a room in 2007 (finally was able to switch) and I could not get a room at all this year.

My boys both love POP and so did my Dad. I just can't believe it has "no appeal" to the older and younger generation.

True, why would they already rebrand it when it just opened in 2003? It took MGM over 15 years to be rebranded as Hollywood Studios.

jt04

True, why would they already rebrand it when it just opened in 2003? It took MGM over 15 years to be rebranded as Hollywood Studios.

Hmmm, could it be they have determined it will sell product (plush, toys, collectibles etc)?

They have obviously determined the money spent to retheme will provide a decent return on investment and since the rooms tend to stay full that is the only motivation for the retheme.

Or, I guess it might be an excuse for a price hike.:lookaroun

CaptainMichael

"It's a felony!":lol:

"It's evidence!" :D

I see we have some Soup fans here:D Between Spaghetti Cat and "It's Miley", how could you not be?

I loved the one from a week ago, "It's McCain!" or about Seacrest, "He's tiny!"

I can't wait to watch The Soup presents: Chicks Man Part II tonight when I get home.

spaghetti-cat.jpg

burninup4nick

I love Pop Century the way it is. I think its very exciting....I mean yes the theme is things from the 50s on but its all still things that are exciting to kids. my nephew has a big wheel....and play doh...and I think we've all seen a fooz ball (sorry if thats spelled wrong) table and a juke box. Computers, Cell phones and Rubik's cubes. I dont see how Disney feels the theme is un appealing. I think kids are excited by what they see. and there are quite a few character statues around. Personally I love it the way it is and we stay there almost every trip...

Love_RnR

Like others have said, it seems strange that JH states that Pop is less occupied. Four times I've booked, or tried to book, a vacation at a Value and only once was Pop available, yet Sports had vacancies everytime and Music had vacancies three times (I never checked on Movies).

From reading the articles and taking into account JH.com's history, it seems (imho) more likely to be in reference to the unfinished portion of Pop.

If they want to spend money on Values (again imho), clean and fix up Sports :hurl: (don't know about Music and Movies) before wasting money on re-theming Pop!

ttalovebug

Hopefully, we're all just wasting our time on something false JH likes to bother everyone with. Pop has no problem filling rooms, and the themeing and design is, IMO, better than any of the All Stars. I had to stay at Pop this year during busy season and didn't think I would like the themeing at all, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was much less obnoxious-looking than the All Stars.

MKCP 1985

Rebrand a hotel and change the name? Disney would never do that!

Signed,

Dixie Landings

----------

Seriously though, with the trailer cabins at Fort Wilderness being re-classified as moderates, but with higher prices than what one would pay at a moderate, it can't be too shocking to think Disney would build out some family suites and bill them at whatever price the market will support.

eeyoremum

I think everyone is missing the point. Marketing wants everything themed to a "franchise" because it sells product (plush, toys, collectibles etc.)

Any that's the bottom line because Stone Cold says so!

I don't think they have a problem selling anything at POP. As I and others have said that place is packed. I have been in and purchased product at the gift shop which is packed. I have eated at the food court....again packed.

I doubt they would make any more money than they are now at POP.

Hmmm, could it be they have determined it will sell product (plush, toys, collectibles etc)?

They have obviously determined the money spent to retheme will provide a decent return on investment and since the rooms tend to stay full that is the only motivation for the retheme.

Or, I guess it might be an excuse for a price hike.:lookaroun

In this economy I don't think Disney is look at a price hike anywhere. If anything I think we may see some pretty sweet deals in the next few months.

Maybe they will do the legendary years as family suits = price hike. I am not one to pay that kind of money for my kids to sleep on a pull out but I only have 2 kids so it is not a problem for my family. Disney really has limited options for larger families so family suits work for others.

Unplugged

I'm curious as to how many people here, who have stated "Disney has no problem filling rooms" at said resort have access to any reservation data from Disney's data warehouse and capacity planning reports? Certainly, Disney would know better than most of us if a resort is 80% verse > 95%. To be honest, I don't think I can tell the difference between 80% & 95& at a large resort. But perhaps many of you bought your crystal balls at the Fantasmic show and I missed out.

Oh well. As far as theming, "ding dong, the witch is dead". The theme wzas interesting, but made little sense on a Disney perspective as it dates itself and is tied to a generation whilst most Disney resorts & attractions are more "timeless" in nature.

eeyoremum

I'm curious as to how many people here, who have stated "Disney has no problem filling rooms" at said resort have access to any reservation data from Disney's data warehouse and capacity planning reports? Certainly, Disney would know better than most of us if a resort is 80% verse > 95%. To be honest, I don't think I can tell the difference between 80% & 95& at a large resort. But perhaps many of you bought your crystal balls at the Fantasmic show and I missed out.

Oh well. As far as theming, "ding dong, the witch is dead". The theme wzas interesting, but made little sense on a Disney perspective as it dates itself and is tied to a generation whilst most Disney resorts & attractions are more "timeless" in nature.

No crystal ball. Only the knowledge that if I try to book at POP and can't get in because they are full obviously they don't have a problem filling rooms. I imagine that like other hotels Disney "holds" rooms for places like expedia, CAA, and others. For my upcoming trip I tried ALL of those options plus Disney directly and could not get a room.

ToTBellHop

And I trust you have tried to book Pop every night of the year? Of course, with any resort booked on average 80% full, there will be MANY nights each year when it is completely full. There will also be nights during the off season when it's pretty empty...

eeyoremum

And I trust you have tried to book Pop every night of the year? Of course, with any resort booked on average 80% full, there will be MANY nights each year when it is completely full. There will also be nights during the off season when it's pretty empty...

Of course I have not tried to book every night of the year. I have been in the hotel business most of my life and recognize the signs of a successfully run operation. Successful enough I am sure that the cost of rebranding at this point is not the wises use of Disney resources.

The "Pro"

Interesting that the Pop is "less" occupied than the All Stars, because when I make last minute reservations, Pop always seems to be booked. But, I am always offered an available All Stars Room instead.

I agree with moriah. If I make last minute reservations, Pop is always booked and I am offered an All Star room instead.

uklad79

Maybe they used the same crystal ball Jim Hill used to work out that that capacity was 80% at Pop? Disney hasn't said what the capacity is so it's a mix of speculation and BS.

bugsbunny

While I find these boards a good source of information, I have to say I'd rather weigh the evidence rather than take for fact from the self proclaimed experts you find here. Just becuase you got time to post 5000 times doesn't mean you have anything more intelligent or truthful to say than someone with 100 posts or their own website, for that matter.

That being that, why does everyone roll their eyes at everything JHM says about Disney? Is that the majority of you have no brain cells in your head and can't think for yourselves? You instead just get inline with what the "experts" here agree on and also disparage a news worth website.....for what particular reason??? :shrug: I've been reading these forums for 5 years now and I STILL don't have a clear idea of why the "experts" here proclaim he is just a plain ol'liar. I get the impression from some of you that you think he just makes it ALL up!

Look at the first page of the thread. The opening statement is "Jim Hill is at it again". Followed by a link to a permit filed by WDW. So what is he up to? I don't get it? Disney files a permit for something nobody saw coming or that nobody has a clue about what it really means in the end, yet the majority of you jump on the anti-JHM bandwagon for no apparent reason.

All I know is that it would seem more of his stuff has merit to it than things I read on these forums. He got the Liberty Square bridge story way before anyone else did and talked about it would change the course of the parades, etc. I remember reading here how that was dismissed as crap and would NEVER happen. :lol:

ToTBellHop

Why do we not trust JHM? Because we have viewed his "news" for years, and 9/10 what he says never comes to fruition. There are no personal vendettas, he's just wrong a lot of the time. It's the same reason we generally trust Al Lutz (he is very often correct) and increasingly trust Screamscape (they get a lot right and seem to have some good sources, though obviously not everything is right).

wvdisneyfamily

Interesting that the Pop is "less" occupied than the All Stars, because when I make last minute reservations, Pop always seems to be booked. But, I am always offered an available All Stars Room instead.

I agree with moriah. If I make last minute reservations, Pop is always booked and I am offered an All Star room instead.

I've never tried to book Pop, but a lot of people complain that it is always full. Love your avatar by the way. My husband is a big Penguins fan.

ValentineMouse

This seems quite a good idea, especially if Pop Century isn't doing too good, but I still have some reservations about it (shame I don't have reservations FOR it =D).

An animation hotel is a really good idea, surely to do it justice it would be better planned from the start as an animation hotel rather than refurbing an existing one?
I'm also not sure about the name =/ Maybe it's my British mindset, but Disney's Animation Inn seems a .. cheaper .. place than Pop Century Resort? Does anyone else think that?

I presume Disney have a good number of marketing people than have identified it's the name and theme that's holding back the resort. But then again, shouldn't they have figured out it wasn't as appealing before they built the place?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom