Rebranding Pop Century?

Wannabe Walt

I never read much of Jim Hill...but this sounds pretty accurate. It really does make sense for Disney to retheme Pop Century. I have looked at staying there a few times in the past, but the theme just doesn't grab me...nor any one else I've talked to. All Star Music and Movies are the best themed values, in my opinion. I think that Disney really should do this to Pop... which, I know many would be sad to see Pop go. However, the theme is dead (as the article mentioned). :)

Hot4Hudgens

I have no problem with the current theme. I think it's unique - and aside from that, Pop itself is great. I personally think it tops the other 3 Value resorts, and by ALOT. (not just the theming)

The point about pop culture from decades ago being the central theme of a resort is a good one though - it doesn't really appeal to children in the way an ''animation'' theme would. We all know Disney's various characters/animated features are TIMELESS. Everyone, young or old, knows about Bambi, Pinnochio, etc. and of course the more recent Lion King, Finding Nemo, Cars, yada yada.

Like Hank said, I'll believe it when I see it. Sounds like a promising concept, and I wouldn't mind seeing it happen - even at the expense of PC. :(

CaptainMichael

If anything, do a complete refurb of the All Stars instead. They're in bigger need of attention.

Finish the Legendary Years side of PC, so the "Generation Gap" bridge has a purpose. It's beautiful out there at night.

Philo

Can't say that I really care either way for this one. The rethemeing won't add or take away anything. The only bad thing I read was in the last paragraph - Re branding as a moderate resort. I would seriously hope this doesn't happen unless another value is put in place

Scar

I could be way off base here, but I don't think a picture of the All Star model room and the African Lodge model room together doesn't mean they were built at the same time.

The premise of that picture was "look, these models were built at the same time but the resorts were built seven years apart".

However, doesn't WDW keep their model rooms around for a while? I remember hearing about that but definitely could be wrong.

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
I really enjoy the Pop Century. My kids like it too. I can't believe it is "less appealing" and that Disney thinks the theming was a mistake. Well, hopefully they do a good job with the "redo" if they do go through with it.

Two things that did catch my eye in the article:

Interesting that the Pop is "less" occupied than the All Stars, because when I make last minute reservations, Pop always seems to be booked. But, I am always offered an available All Stars Room instead.

Also, I truly hope that Disney keeps "Pop", or whatever they decide to call, a Value Resort and not recatagorize it to a moderate resort. That would make me upset to have one less Value resort to chose from, especially it being Pop Century. :fork:

jhastings74

Personally, I love PoP Century...

But I am confused about one thing in Jim's article: are they going to re-theme the ENTIRE resort, or just the Legendary Years buildings? I would think that they could just save the trouble...and money...of having to re-theme an entire, perfectly good resort (Classic Years) and just keep it the way it was (maybe rename it, though) and make the Legendary Years the Animation Inn & Suites...

(If they DO retheme the entire resort, I want the giant Mickey Telephone......eBay, anybody?)

My first thoughts are pretty much the same. One, Pop always seems to be booked first with rooms available at the other value resorts (this is just my own experience); two, it wouldn't suprise me if they converted all of the abandoned construction to family suites, since that seems to be what people want these days; and three, I always wondered who they were marketing the "legendary years" to--the animation theme makes more sense considering the large number of young families that stay at this resort.

Brian Noble

I'm skeptical about Pop's "lower demand" as well...

But, finishing the "other half" mostly as suites, with an animation-based theme does make sense.

I would hate to see POP go. I really like the themeing. My 9 year old son also loves it. It is always our first choice to stay at. We like the 50's section to stay in.

Jekyll_Baker

I like Pop Century just the way it is too. I don't think they'd have to re-theme the current Classic Years, just remove the "Classic Years" name and just leave it as "Pop Century Resort". Then finish constructing the other half as the Animation Inn & Suites and let the Inn & Suites be a Moderate.

But we shall see...

Moustronaut

Oh my wife is gonna hate this "news". She's never been a big fan of the All-Stars because they are uber-Disney cartoon focused. She loved the Pop Century theme when we first heard about it from our bus driver on our honeymoon. She enjoys being able to stay at a value resort and see something besides giant character statues.

She'll really miss the bowling pins and big wheel if they go away for a more Disney Animation centric theme.

Just Plain Mark

Neither value resort appeals to me at all because of the theming and exterior entrances, but I personally think that going with a classic animation theme would be a big improvement for Pop.

I also think the timing is very interesting, given the economics discussions going on in the Fantasyland redo thread.

jasondiff

I like Pop, but I also think the redo will be a good idea. It's possible the plan would be to complete the Legendary Years as suites, then open that side while closing the Classic Years for some time to redo the theming and potentially convert some to suites. My last trip I had a great view out my window of the ghost town Legendary Years, so doing anything at all over there would be an improvement.

It's also worth considering that with a poor economy, the All-Star Family Suites may be the highest-demand rooms on property. There are precious few rooms that sleep 5 available at WDW. So making more Family Suites is probably a good thing, and will position them well for any possible economic downturn in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom