Really, Why Bother ...

janoimagine

I interviewed Jason after the Disco Yeti article - I'll be reaching out to him again.

Please do, I would love to hear his side of this interview. I have to imagine that he wasn't allowed to ask certain questions, either that or Disney gave him the questions.

Innocent until proven guilty. :D

officeboy

I have to wonder if the 'interview' was actually an email exchange that went through legal, and marketing before being sent to Mr. G. Like somebody said before Mr. Colglazier sure seemed to hit all the corporate buzz words embedded in sound bite non speak... If Jason had the stones to put the words 'Disco' and 'Yeti' in the same article I have to assume the subject article was foisted upon him.

menamechris

I feel I need to corroborate what was said about the name tag. It's completely the point for every cast member (no matter what the position) to wear the same name tag. And to be on a first name basis. For those of you who scream about "Walt's standards" - that was one of his principles. He believed in a first name basis workplace. Not sure if he started the name tag tradition at Disneyland, but it continues that basic tradition of every cast member is equally important.

GrumpyFan

In defense of Jason's interview, I understand. As a journalist, sometimes you have to play nice or, not at all. You have to maintain a balance or you run the risk of being pushed to the outside of the press corp and then they don't give you anything at all. In fact, judging by the interview questions and answers, it almost sounds like he has gotten on the "no info" list or whatever they call it. I mean, really, look at the answers given, did he say anything that could be remotely considered informational or for that matter news worthy? I don't think so. It's possible that due to the Yeti article that Jason and OlrSen have been alienated from Disney, or at the least hurt their relationship with them in such a way that Disney isn't giving them anything of substance any more with regards to news items.

ttalovebug

"Well, the great thing about Animal Kingdom is, because it's grounded in nature as the underlying kind of intellectual property, there are tons of opportunities that come from having such a wide underlying concept. And so, as you can bet, we're constantly thinking of lots and lots of opportunities there. It wouldn't be surprising that we've got ideas under way there. But when those come out, when they all gel, is a lot based upon the needs of our guests and the needs of the business."

-dave

Seriously, it sounds like he has no answer, and tries to formulate something intelligible by throwing every managment catchphrase out there. It's like that Ms. Teen USA girl- "some people don't have maps, and the Africas, and the Asias...."

T-1MILLION

Child Please! :brick::brick::brick:

11 posts about a bad interview and appearance. There's nothing wrong with that.
I do like your half a decade response. It sounds so much longer than 5 years!

Was this an attempt at being condescending? I guess a half a decade can sound like more than five years, although that is actually what five years is...so I was not trying to embellish anything. It is a fact. Considering how nothing is really in the construction phase (or much in the planning as far as we know) it will be closer to a decade than half a decade. I was being nice.

Marge10369

It is standard for non-Costume CMs to wear Pin Lanyards while in the parks.

Also, all CMs have the same style of name tag irrespective of whether they are management or entry-level.

That piece is designed to be mutually beneficial. For the Sentinel it gets Disney and AK management on side for future opportunities and for Disney it gives them a good promo op. That article os obv not designed for the type of reader that is on this forum.

Thank you. So very well said!

TalkingHead

That piece is designed to be mutually beneficial. For the Sentinel it gets Disney and AK management on side for future opportunities and for Disney it gives them a good promo op. That article os obv not designed for the type of reader that is on this forum.

You many future opportunities for the Sentinel to publish more Disney fluff pieces?

Figment1986

the piece reads "forced" to me... I like towards the end he asks about "doing anything new" "well we might... and if we are then we are, if we're not then we're not"

WDW1974

Original Poster
I found the article to be a joke, I like Garcia, I really do, but talk about a powder puff set of questions, just put a skirt on him Jason if your not going to play hardball.

I agree with the others, his appearance was less than becoming for an individual in his position.

What ever happened to the Garcia who wrote the Yeti article?

You don't have to play 'hardball' per se ... an interview, let alone with a mid-level theme park exec, shouldn't be viewed as adversarial by either party.

That's just the point, though. Nothing was really asked at all. And nothing was said. I do wonder if this was almost a 'make up' for bringing Disco Yeti to the legit press.

Because you have to figure that it would be one of the first things on both their minds. Not addressing the proverbial yeti in the room certainly makes you say 'Hmm...' to start with.

And Michael didn't come off well for his part. You may have to stick to corporate spin, but there's a way of doing so where you don't come off so obvious and slimy about it.

This just seemed as over the top as the talking points Disney put out recently about the F-land project, Staggs and Rasulo swapping jobs and the boy wizard blowing everyone away up I-4.

This isn't a blogger. You expect more from a journalist whose beat is covering theme parks and tourism.

WDWFigment

I agree that his shirt is ill fitting and unprofessional for someone in his position. However, how many of you criticize Joe Rohde for his attire? I've seen him wear some articles of clothing certainly not appropriate for his 'level' of management. Or does he just get a free pass from fans because he's Joe freakin' Rohde? Personally, I don't see why the same rules don't apply...

menamechris

I don't get what all the upset is about. This interview was not done for us. It was done for the average Orlando Sentinel reader in Orlando who likes Disney and really could care less about 99% of what we spend hours complaining about - or sifting through what others complain about. As a journalist, you have to know your audience. For his audience, they wanted a good "pick-me-up" story about Disney - and this did it...

Captain Neo

While I agree, it was a pretty lame interview that really didn't tell me anything new, I must take exception to bashing or criticizing his appearance. Sure, it was not exactly C-level executive, but give the guy a break. I'm just guessing here, but it kind of looks like maybe he borrowed a shirt from somebody for the picture. I can't honestly believe that is his shirt. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he was doing something earlier that day, and ruined the shirt he had on or was doing some other task and wasn't appropriately dressed for the interview, so they borrowed one and then threw on a lanyard with some pins on it to make him look more Disney-like.

wow

Disney used to be so professional now they have there people looking like they work in a thrift store.

WDW1974

Original Poster
[/FONT] Yes...Mr. Colglazier began his illustrious Disney career with the innvention of Innoventions. He was buddies with Eisner and so was placed in position to change Communicore into that ridiculous Sega arcade and corporate museum.

So, how do you really feel?:)

It's nice to see you again, lightbulb ... especially now that I've seen TDS and, finally, experienced Potter (great work, you guys should -- and I am sure are -- very proud of the quality product).

I have no experience with Michael Colglazier beyond being in his presence a few times. A DAK frontline CM told me just a week ago that he seemed nice enough and was out in the park quite a bit (which some seem to take as a sign of caring) and was very proud of the Wild Africa Trek (and why shouldn't he since it cost almost nothing and can bring in loads of profit?)

I just found his insincerity and corporate speak to be typical of the out of touch group that runs Disney these days.

They really believe honesty is something to be avoided at all costs, even when it really is the best policy.

Captain Neo

I agree that his shirt is ill fitting and unprofessional for someone in his position. However, how many of you criticize Joe Rohde for his attire? I've seen him wear some articles of clothing certainly not appropriate for his 'level' of management. Or does he just get a free pass from fans because he's Joe freakin' Rohde? Personally, I don't see why the same rules don't apply...

Joe Rhode isn't an executive. Imagineers are also allowed to be more eccentric since its part of the act that there so "wild and creative" (even though most of the imagineers turning the Disney parks into the local best buy is creative)

Wilt Dasney

You're right. That newspaper article was not designed for people who actually pay for and read newspapers. :lol:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sorry, I will get you started.

I never understood that with senior management. I never understood the name tag thing too. Well, I understand the concept of name tag, but really does it have to be the big oval plastic one?
Throw on a sport coat, and maybe a brass name tag for execs.

I don't have any issue with the nametag deal because that has always been a part of the Disney Look and culture. You wouldn't want one that somehow places an exec above a front-line CM, regardless of the reality.

When I was in field ops, my Manager had steel toe wing tips, so he could be on job sites and in compliance with OSHA, but still dressed to meet clients.

I don't like to pick on people for the way they dress, but he is clearly wearing a shirt two sizes too big for him. Heck, the corner of his pocket is almost in his armpit. I am not saying you have to wear $300 shirts, but spring for some $65 ones that fit.

I don't look at it as picking on him. You convey an image by how you look in professional circles. I've been watching for a decade now as WDW has been Walmarting its look. They used to be called 'suits' for a reason. They still dress that way in Tokyo, btw. (this is where inevitably someone will say that Americans are slobs and don't feel the need to dress up to go to work anymore ... so there, I already covered it)

You dress for the situation. If you are a Disney VP, then that should be a suit and tie most of the time, and certainly when doing an interview with the press.

You aren't a family of bumpkin tourists taking their first Disney Cruise who think they should be able to walk into a dining room on formal night wearing shorts and Mickey tees when others are wearing tuxes and gowns.

This last bit is just a masterwork of confusion. I don't think even he knows what he said.

"Well, the great thing about Animal Kingdom is, because it's grounded in nature as the underlying kind of intellectual property, there are tons of opportunities that come from having such a wide underlying concept. And so, as you can bet, we're constantly thinking of lots and lots of opportunities there. It wouldn't be surprising that we've got ideas under way there. But when those come out, when they all gel, is a lot based upon the needs of our guests and the needs of the business."

-dave

No. That is classic. A bunch of talking point phrases cobbled together to say absolutely nothing at all. Nature as intellectual property? I love that one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom