Really, Why Bother ...

TP2000

Instead of focusing on how the guy looks in this one image, let us focus on the fact that Animal Kingodm has not had any new attractions in half a decade, and the fact that main elements of the last one they did add does not work.

Things like that matter.

There's plenty to talk about regarding DAK's condition, but Mr. Colglazier's appearance matters too. And his appearance looks inappropriate for this media attention.

He's dressed like he should be running a towel stand at a water park, not a Vice President for the Walt Disney Company. His shirt is way too big, even if it was a style and fabric appropriate for the business workplace. He clearly has no tailor, and/or his wife didn't check him on the way out of the house that morning.

He doesn't need to wear a three piece grey flannel suit, as it is a theme park in Orlando. But at the very least a blazer and a shirt that fits him, along with a style and fabric that is better for his frame and age, should have been the minimum he arrived at this media interview wearing. If I was giving an interview for the local newspaper representing my employer, I would wear a necktie too, but call me crazy.

They finally have Nordstrom in Orlando now. Nordstrom is famous for their Personal Shopper service and excellent tailors. I've used them a lot over the decades. They can keep a man looking current yet profesional quite easily; no additional service charge for the Personal Shopper and a few extra dollars for expert tailoring of the business pieces you do buy.

NOTE TO MR. MICHAEL COLGLAZIER: Report to the Mens Department at The Florida Mall Nordstrom ASAP. They will know how to help. :wave:

Upon reflection, I can't believe Disney doesn't have an executive coordinator that makes sure all the execs look appropriate when they are at public events and representing Disney to the media. Most big companies do that for their execs. There's clearly an opportunity for a new job in Lake Buena Vista. Or maybe that person was out sick this week?

whylightbulb

So, how do you really feel?:)

It's nice to see you again, lightbulb ... especially now that I've seen TDS and, finally, experienced Potter (great work, you guys should -- and I am sure are -- very proud of the quality product).

I have no experience with Michael Colglazier beyond being in his presence a few times. A DAK frontline CM told me just a week ago that he seemed nice enough and was out in the park quite a bit (which some seem to take as a sign of caring) and was very proud of the Wild Africa Trek (and why shouldn't he since it cost almost nothing and can bring in loads of profit?)

I just found his insincerity and corporate speak to be typical of the out of touch group that runs Disney these days.

They really believe honesty is something to be avoided at all costs, even when it really is the best policy.
Hey it's nice to see you back as well! So were you able not to drool while taking in the wonder of Tokyo Disney? Was was it like going back to WDW after visiting Tokyo LOL?

Thanks for the kind words regarding Potter. I think one of the best feelings was when I happened to be at unload during the soft opening phase and one of my ex bosses from WDI was getting off a ride vehicle. This was one of the bad managers that you and I always talk about. He could barely look me in the eye before "storming" off down the exit ramp LOL.

Yea as far as Michael is concerned, he is a nice enough guy but is one of those people that don't belong in this industry in my opinion. He tries but he just doesn't "get it".

janoimagine

I agree that his shirt is ill fitting and unprofessional for someone in his position. However, how many of you criticize Joe Rohde for his attire? I've seen him wear some articles of clothing certainly not appropriate for his 'level' of management. Or does he just get a free pass from fans because he's Joe freakin' Rohde? Personally, I don't see why the same rules don't apply...

Creative Executives follow a different set of rules than Account Executives at the same level, ask anyone in Advertising/Marketing/Ect.

In the creative community, if your a 'god' you can wear whatever you want, as long as your ideas are as brilliant as ever. I knew a writer named Mike Stocker who literally worked every day from a booth at The old Country Buffet ... but when it came to his TV and his Print for Jeep ... nobody could touch him, his ideas were brilliant, wore old sweatshirts and jeans to client presentations.
:D

_Scar

This guy makes me want to barf.

And as a pin trader, I would bet my life that 75% of those pins are counterfeit from China. He just makes pins look bad by wearing them hahaha

raven

I agree that his shirt is ill fitting and unprofessional for someone in his position. However, how many of you criticize Joe Rohde for his attire? I've seen him wear some articles of clothing certainly not appropriate for his 'level' of management. Or does he just get a free pass from fans because he's Joe freakin' Rohde? Personally, I don't see why the same rules don't apply...

It's an insignificant point, so I don't know why I'm bothering arguing it (perhaps I just like to argue), but Rohde is also an executive.

I think that if Rohde were a less-popular and/or less-highly regarded Imagineer, people around here would probably criticize him for dressing the way he does. That's not even taking into account that he's an executive. However, given his track record, people are willing to overlook that and give him a pass.

That said, I have to admit, if I were Joe Rohde, I'd wear whatever the hell I want, too.

Imagineers are a whole different ballgame. They don't have to follow the Disney Look due to them not actually being Disney Theme Park employees.

As far as the Disney Look in other cases though, I've seen plenty of CMs wearing old name tags, tennis shoes with flames and cartoon characters in them, untucked shirts, very dark sunglasses or sunglasses with bling or are not approved for the Look, and tons and tons of pants that are either too long, too short, too baggy or too tight. It's up to the managers over each CM to enforce the Look but lately there have been way too many people falling through the cracks.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've been in strategic planning meetings with Michael, and that's exactly how he was in those meetings—canned corporate catchphrases and a whole lot of nothing. He happily experiments with bad ideas and enthusiastically talks about good ones. Like so many of TDO's other execs, he's a genuinely nice guy who simply shouldn't be in the entertainment business.

That really sounds familiar. I don't believe that these folks are all evil and want to detroy all that Walt stood for.

What I do believe is that many of them are in positions they just shouldn't be. I am not even saying they shouldn't be execs (although some just shouldn't), but the entertainment industry isn't like any other ... there's no business like show business, after all.

In the past, you simply wouldn't try and put a square peg into a round hole, but that is what today's business environment promotes.

Now ... why am I typing this and not watching Glee?:D

WDW1974

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
Kinda like why I'll never get hired at Hooters:eek:. Rules are different!

I can tell you're still suffering from the discrimination.

Suffering like you wouldn't believe ... I thought my man- would be enough to get me in the door after I waxed my legs ... but no, I'm just not their type!:cry::cry::cry:

RSoxNo1

I'm guessing that Jason Garcia was given quite a bit of guidelines for this interview. He did ask about what the future plans were for the park, but the questions did seem to be leading towards non-answers.

Garcia does have a responsibility to the paper, but he also has a responsibility to his readers - I guess the question is "When is it appropriate to take someone to task." Given the non-answers in the rest of the interview it would have been interesting to see how Michael would have responded to an actual pointed question.

I really think the opportunity for someone to pointedly ask these types of questions to the powers that be would be at a shareholders meeting - these types of questions aren't likely going to come from a traditional media member but rather a fan community like the one we have here.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buried20KLeague
:lookaroun

Yeah! I wasn't the only troublemaker!:drevil:

There was a whole posse of you troublemakers ... I'm surprised my Mommy still lets me associate with you guys!:ROFLOL:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt04
Agree with your take 100%. This thread is pure temper tantrum. As would be expected.

Seriously?
You wouldn't have asked him about the yeti? The only real news item (picked up nationally and internationally) to come out of that park in the last five years, and you would just let it slide?
:hammer:
That's just silly. Don't let your feelings about the messenger obscure the message.

Feelings for me?!??!? That dude who lives in New Mexico and has never been to WDW has ... gulp ... blech ... vomitinmouth ... feelings for me?!??!:hurl:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I was going to say a few days ago that you would make 74 a great errand boy someday but I see you are already are. :lol:

Yes. Hey ... errand boy, I could go for some Chinese takeout for when V comes on ... get on it! Now!!!

I am out of this thread before it destroys too many more of my brain cells.:dazzle:

Hah ... do I even bother taking one of the many obvious shots here? Nah ... Sue is back on ...:D

Cosmic Commando

Was this an attempt at being condescending? I guess a half a decade can sound like more than five years, although that is actually what five years is...so I was not trying to embellish anything. It is a fact. Considering how nothing is really in the construction phase (or much in the planning as far as we know) it will be closer to a decade than half a decade. I was being nice.
Really DAK has fewer attractions than it did five years ago. By this point in 2006, Everest was soft open and I believe the Pocahontas show was there then but not now.

On a side note, I was in Camp Minnie-Mickey a few weeks ago and I heard a manager leading some newbies through the park. I timed my slow meandering by them poorly, so I heard her say that they use the Pocahontas theater for something now, but I couldn't hear what. Anyone have any idea?

janoimagine

Really DAK has fewer attractions than it did five years ago. By this point in 2006, Everest was soft open and I believe the Pocahontas show was there then but not now.

On a side note, I was in Camp Minnie-Mickey a few weeks ago and I heard a manager leading some newbies through the park. I timed my slow meandering by them poorly, so I heard her say that they use the Pocahontas theater for something now, but I couldn't hear what. Anyone have any idea?

Isn't it used for Festival of the Lion King? :shrug:

Figments Friend

'Festival of the Lion King' is in a large indoor presentation area next door ( literally) to where the small outdoor stage is that was once used for the 'Pocahontas and her Forest Friends' show.

I am not sure what it is used for now...i do remember hearing it was breifly used for something but my mind is a blank at this late hour...

WDW1974

Original Poster
NOTE TO MR. MICHAEL COLGLAZIER: Report to the Mens Department at The Florida Mall Nordstrom ASAP. They will know how to help. :wave:

Upon reflection, I can't believe Disney doesn't have an executive coordinator that makes sure all the execs look appropriate when they are at public events and representing Disney to the media. Most big companies do that for their execs. There's clearly an opportunity for a new job in Lake Buena Vista. Or maybe that person was out sick this week?

I think the whole Walmarting of wardrobe (every day is apparently Casual Fridays at WDW now) is a VERY conscious effort to again lower standards and expectations at the same time in a very subtle (to most) way.

Image may not be everything, but it does count for a lot. How you dress and appear in public may not be a fair way to judge people, but we do it all the time. Does anyone look at Snookie and not think 'trash'?

Again, the whole term 'suit' exists for a reason. And when is the last time you saw someone in a nice suit walking around WDW? (this used to be regular SOP in the 70s, 80s and into the 90s). You want people to exude being in a special place? You don't do that with management that looks like it belongs working at the Gap outlet at the local outlet mall.

I'm tired of seeing managers working on stage wearing mall clothes (no costume) with blackberries and multiple lanyards with IDs/keys/pins etc. It totally takes you out of any notion of show ... and it makes what's supposed to be a place removed from the real world feel very real and gritty instead.

Horizons1

[/FONT] Yes...Mr. Colglazier began his illustrious Disney career with the innvention of Innoventions. He was buddies with Eisner and so was placed in position to change Communicore into that ridiculous Sega arcade and corporate museum.

Ahh, I loved that Sega arcade. Good times.

Phonedave

I feel I need to corroborate what was said about the name tag. It's completely the point for every cast member (no matter what the position) to wear the same name tag. And to be on a first name basis. For those of you who scream about "Walt's standards" - that was one of his principles. He believed in a first name basis workplace. Not sure if he started the name tag tradition at Disneyland, but it continues that basic tradition of every cast member is equally important.

He believed in the first name basis thing. I don't see him wearing the tag in pictures.

You can still wear the tag, but make it look a little more professional.

-dave

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hey it's nice to see you back as well! So were you able not to drool while taking in the wonder of Tokyo Disney? Was was it like going back to WDW after visiting Tokyo LOL?

I admit I may have been a drooling fanboi in Tokyo.:)

Somethings you hear about can never live up to their hype, but TDR (especially TDS) just exceeded my expectations ... blew them out of Tokyo Bay to be exact. Words can't describe the world WDI created in TDS ... or the level of quality in attractions, upkeep, cast and entertainment resort-wide.

MK gets the same parades for decades on end. TDR has seasonal shopping bags!

You've heard the old-time deal about WDW being so clean as soon as popcorn fell there was someone there to sweep it up (which was true, eons ago)? Well, on my first day there, as I entered World Bazaar there was CM actually picking up individual PIECES of popcorn with his hands off the pavement.

Going back to WDW after TDR ... well, I don't know how to put it without it sounding bad. It's kind of like driving a Corolla after you've gotten used to a Porsche. It's not a bad car, but it feels so different. Or having a fast food burger after dining on Kobe beef.

And I went in with a critical eye too, so it's not like I'm giving OLC a pass because it was my first visit. There were things that I didn't like, but they weren't really what I expected and so outweighed by the incredible quality in those parks.

Just amazing. And to the WDW fans, who have been multiple times, I'd say if money is an issue than skip WDW for 2-3-4 years and go to Tokyo instead. You'll also get to see an amazing city and experience a different culture AND see the best theme parks that Dis...I mean OLC has going.

Thanks for the kind words regarding Potter. I think one of the best feelings was when I happened to be at unload during the soft opening phase and one of my ex bosses from WDI was getting off a ride vehicle. This was one of the bad managers that you and I always talk about. He could barely look me in the eye before "storming" off down the exit ramp LOL.

About the best thing I can say about WWoHP is that it is Tokyo Disney quality. The level of immersion and attention to detail truly puts most of what is in Orlando (all parks) to shame. And Forbidden Journey is a tour de force of what can be done today (and, no, like TDR , I don't think it's perfect). You know if this had been built at Disney, then the fanbois would be drowning in drool.

Yea as far as Michael is concerned, he is a nice enough guy but is one of those people that don't belong in this industry in my opinion. He tries but he just doesn't "get it".

There are far too many these days ... you don't have to be a creative to appreciate the work creatives do. And you can't borrow a template from any other business and try and apply it to entertainment. It just doesn't work.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
My take on the article is a little different. I've been interviewed four times by the press, twice for TV and twice for print. I was misquoted, misrepresented or blatantly lied to on both occasions by the TV interviewers who both filmed over an hour and a half of interview and aired less than a minute and a half each of what was filmed, twisting what was supposed to be a very positive story into a bitter attack on an organization that had treated me well. The two print stories turned out better only because I insisted on a veto of the whole article in both cases in advance.

The press doesn't always reflect what was said or the context it was said in when they present their work. Garcia may very well have done so here. Any published interview that comes across that poorly raises my suspicions of the journalist's integrity.

Devin36

I just spent 6 nights in WDW the last week of January & I just wanted to chime in that I did see a lot of cleaning going on & was extremely impressed by the up keep. AS SOON as the parade would end a cast member pushing a mini street sweeper/vaccum came up main street cleaning up all the popcorn & trash as well as other cast members with brooms & pans......after the celebrate street party they do in the hub there were streamers & confetti in the trees they had shot out from the floats.....as soon as it ended cast members with those long claws came & started getting any remains in the trees/bushes....Everything was always clean from what I saw & I am always eyeing the details...just positive food for thought! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom