Ratatouille in Epcot

The Empress Lilly

I will say this, as someone who as been to Parc Disneyland and had multiple chances to ride Ratatouille, I can tell you that this ride would easily become the most popular ride at EPCOT. Ratatouille is a fantastic attraction that seems to fit the mold of somewhere between IOA Spiderman and a trackless system. It's not a thrilling as Spiderman but the effects are quiet spectacular! I think it would be a welcomed addition to the French pavilion. I also would be sad to see IDF go but as someone stated there is an expansion pad between France and Morocco and from the looks of it from google maps, its quite large.
Oh, I have little doubt Rat will be a resounding success. It's popularity in DLP is through the roof. It is one of the few rides that non-Disney goers know about and talk about.

I like it, but do think it is too tame. The fire of the stove only really goes on when you are leaving already, and is not hot enough, the cold of the fridge is not cold enough, the movements are calm and slow. It is not Spiderman by any means.

The Empress Lilly

Which is perfectly fine with me because that honestly felt like a cheat to me. I want to eat at Gusteau's or the bistro at the end of the movie, not some French Honey I Shrunk the Kids playset.
What really bugs me, a real cheat, is that the ride and restaurant have reversed roles on who promotes who. From the ride you have a fantastic view of the restaurant, the ride exits there, as a logical outcome of the story which ends there too. It is 'exit through the gift shop' in the extreme.

But the restaurant for its part doesn't give you a view of the ride at all. A few tables have a view of unload, provided they can look over the 3d glasses return boxes. It is not integrated with the ride, like Blue Bayou is. The restaurant could've been placed anywhere really.

OliveMcFly

I will say this, as someone who as been to Parc Disneyland and had multiple chances to ride Ratatouille, I can tell you that this ride would easily become the most popular ride at EPCOT. Ratatouille is a fantastic attraction that seems to fit the mold of somewhere between IOA Spiderman and a trackless system. It's not a thrilling as Spiderman but the effects are quiet spectacular! I think it would be a welcomed addition to the French pavilion. I also would be sad to see IDF go but as someone stated there is an expansion pad between France and Morocco and from the looks of it from google maps, its quite large.
I have yet to go to DLP but have seen a video of the ride and it looks great. Ratatouille is my favorite Pixar film so I wouldn't be completely against it coming into France.

jaxonp

Oh, I have little doubt Rat will be a resounding success. It's popularity in DLP is through the roof. It is one of the few rides that non-Disney goers know about and talk about.

I like it, but do think it is too tame. The fire of the stove only really goes on when you are leaving already, and is not hot enough, the cold of the fridge is not cold enough, the movements are calm and slow. It is not Spiderman by any means.

Too tame? We're talking about Disney. They haven't a ride like this in the USA. Like I said, this would be the closet thing to Spiderman that Disney has. It isn't dull either, but rather the next generation of dark rides. Under the sea should have been a trackless ride but instead we got a budget old school omni style dark ride while, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Paris got trackless dark rides. I haven't seen Mystic Manner but out of the two I've seen Rat is fantastic. The 3D mixed with live sets is really done well. I love the rolling cart scene.

jaxonp

What really bugs me, a real cheat, is that the ride and restaurant have reversed roles on who promotes who. From the ride you have a fantastic view of the restaurant, the ride exits there, as a logical outcome of the story which ends there too. It is 'exit through the gift shop' in the extreme.

But the restaurant for its part doesn't give you a view of the ride at all. A few tables have a view of unload, provided they can look over the 3d glasses return boxes. It is not integrated with the ride, like Blue Bayou is. The restaurant could've been placed anywhere really.

Meh, the restaurant is just okay, imo. I don't think it would be a real loss. I think they could easily rebrand one of the restaurants in the pavilion if they chose to do so but it isn't a make or break for me.

maroonmol

Is the general idea that the Ratatouille ride (if chosen over the other IPs) will be similar to DLP's trackless or completely different?

Rodan75

Too tame? We're talking about Disney. They haven't a ride like this in the USA. Like I said, this would be the closet thing to Spiderman that Disney has. It isn't dull either, but rather the next generation of dark rides. Under the sea should have been a trackless ride but instead we got a budget old school omni style dark ride while, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Paris got trackless dark rides. I haven't seen Mystic Manner but out of the two I've seen Rat is fantastic. The 3D mixed with live sets is really done well. I love the rolling cart scene.

Well, I think the potential issue is that this may be the 3rd LPS ride coming to WDW. I seem to be under the impression one of the Star Wars rides is LPS and the GMR Mickey ride is rumored to be LPS as well.

jaxonp

Well, I think the potential issue is that this may be the 3rd LPS ride coming to WDW. I seem to be under the impression one of the Star Wars rides is LPS and the GMR Mickey ride is rumored to be LPS as well.

With Star Wars and Mickey being in the same park.. something tells me one of those ride systems may end up being different... That said, look, WDW has.. HM, Nemo, Little Mermaid, Buzz that all use the same style ride system... So it is possible

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The problem is space right now in terms of where the Beauty and the Beast area is for MK. You have to tear down Enchanted Tales with Belle, one of the Eating places, and a shop. Disney wanted more meet and Greets in MK and a Beauty and the Beast ride was ruled out as a result at the time.

The BATB area in MK is one of the flaws for New Fantasy Land Expansion.
They could still fit it in. They would probably need to relocate the restrooms next to Gaston's tavern and build a walkway across Magic Kingdom Drive to the grassy area behind the current LM show building. They would probably need to either relocate the road or dig down to make the road a tunnel and the pedestrian walkway over Magic Kingdom drive a bridge. It's probably cheaper to just relocate the road behind the new show building. See the photo below:

IMG_0600.PNG

No Name

Would you say that Pirates, Jungle Cruise, and It's a Small World pose a problem, since they are all boat rides in the same park?

I don't see why the situation with LPS rides would be any different. It's a form of transportation that allows for a lot of possibilities. But much like boat rides, at its core it's not much more than a form of transportation. The story and look of all three LPS rides would be distinctly different.

Test Track and Radiator Springs racers are thought of by some as being too similar to be in the same resort. But that has more validity, because both of those rides are about the vehicles themselves.

So I don't see it as a problem, I see it as a brighter future.

Rodan75

Would you say that Pirates, Jungle Cruise, and It's a Small World pose a problem, since they are all boat rides in the same park?

I don't see why the situation with LPS rides would be any different. It's a form of transportation that allows for a lot of possibilities. But much like boat rides, at its core it's not much more than a form of transportation. The story and look of all three LPS rides would be distinctly different.

Test Track and Radiator Springs racers are thought of by some as being too similar to be in the same resort. That has more validity, because both of those rides are about the vehicles themselves.

Agreed... I said as much one post later.

jaxonp

Test Track and Radiator Springs racers are thought of by some as being too similar to be in the same resort. That has more validity, because both of those rides are about the vehicles themselves.

Not to mention that you get better pricing when you buy in bulk.

jaxonp

Seriously, Disney is currently developing 2 Star Wars rides(DL, DHS), Mickey ride(DHS), the Beauty and the Beast ride (tokyo), a possible Ratatouille(Epcot) ride and who knows what else for Shanghai. They could potentially be buying 6 of these ride systems and yes I know that's wild speculation, but just imagine the current management trying to get the best price shopping for rides at the Costco.

No Name

Agreed... I said as much one post later.

Ah okay. Sorry, I didn't read through to the most recent post of the thread, which I need to remember to do more often.

Not to mention that you get better pricing when you buy in bulk.

That's true. Though I hope imagineering is smart enough to do that. I could imagine the different teams involved in the different rides not collaborating, and therefore missing out on some amazing savings!

lazyboy97o

Seriously, Disney is currently developing 2 Star Wars rides(DL, DHS), Mickey ride(DHS), the Beauty and the Beast ride (tokyo), a possible Ratatouille(Epcot) ride and who knows what else for Shanghai. They could potentially be buying 6 of these ride systems and yes I know that's wild speculation, but just imagine the current management trying to get the best price shopping for rides at the Costco.
Disney has developed their own trackless technology. It's not like they're ordering a bunch of Revolutions from Oceaneering. There is also the issue of ride systems not being a mass produced industry so there is not always room for much in the way of savings.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom