Ratatouille in Epcot

C.FERNIE

I would love to see more countries to be added round WS but in all honesty i don't think it is ever going to happen and even at the slight chance it did id probs be ten feet under by then! haha I think the last chance was Africa for a country but that got scraped with AK getting built! Rat i think would be a good edition, i don't mind characters in WS as long as it is done tastefully! EPCOT really needs to get some life pumped into to it!

Tom Morrow

Honestly I will never understand the complaint about how this doesn't fit in France when over in Norway we have Trolls and horned viking helmets (not a real thing by the way) representing Norway. Though it certainly advocates Norwegian culture, the entire first part of that ride falls right into that territory that if it were built today, fall under these same criticisms because it's a fanciful and perhaps stereotypical look at a country rather than something that I suppose should be strictly educational or falling into some sacred No-characters-allowed territory which was obviously broken as soon as these trolls were introduced, movie tie-in or not.

But perhaps my view on EPCOT is different from most. I think the overall goal of world showcase should be to encourage in interest in the world abroad rather than home, to learn about them, and to get a taste of that culture. A ratatouille ride can easily spark this interest for young minds and is not offensive or (as far as I know) some cruel stereotype. It's a potential way to introduce someone to the culture, and in this day and age with all the media we have at our fingertips, doing so is incredibly easy (which at the same time makes it that much more difficult to educate AND entertain, as anyone can pull up a video or pictures about France these days, even children). In this way, the ride would serve both as education (if not directly) and entertainment, part of what I think is the end goal.

And I can relate to this on a personal level. Before visiting the Norwegian pavilion in EPCOT, I had no idea what a viking or troll was, or anything about Norway itself. I rode Maelstrom, and it set a fire in my brain that has yet to go out. It started with researching vikings, to their culture, to the history of Norway, then to Europe and it's history, and it just grew from there. But it started with those unrealistic viking helmets and those fake trolls, because I was a kid and thought they looked freaky and cool. Ratatouille the movie and the ride can do the same thing for others, and a large part of me feels because the movie was made first is the only reason this gets so much ire. Would we react the same way if a ride about us being shrunk down through a Parisian kitchen through the perspective of a mouse was made when EPCOT was and was later made into a movie? I think some of the same people here wanting to burn the idea down would be claiming it as innovative genius.
Sorry, you're just not getting it. It's already been explained how everything in Maelstrom is directly related to Norwegian folklore and history. Giant food props have nothing. nada. zilch. to do with French culture and history. If the The ONLY excuse is "Ratatouille takes place in France". A ride using Ratatouille could possibly fit, but the current ride that is already being built at DLP does not at all.

It's the same situation at The Seas with Nemo and Friends. Turtle Talk fits in quite well at the pavilion. The clamshell ride does not belong in Epcot because it is nothing more than a Fantasyland-style recap of the movie. Zero reason to be in a huge, actual aquarium that should be and was originally educational and scientific/biology focused. They could have, however, used the Finding Nemo characters and made a ride that does fit. I've mentioned this idea before, but perhaps something like a ride-along field trip with Mr. Ray as if you are part of his class as he teaches about coral reefs.

I and many others would rather have no character themed attractions at Epcot, but if they're going to do it, they should try harder than taking an existing ride and plopping it down in Epcot that fits by setting only.

doctornick

I don't think every country needs a ride. As long as they have unique and entertaining attractions, be that a ride, a show of some sort, or live entertainment out in the "streets", that's good.

Every country? No, every one doesn't need a "ride" though I'd argue that each pavilion should have at least one major entertainment offering (e.g. American Adventure or a film like Impressions de France should count). With 11 countries, I'd argue that there should be something like 5 to 7 rides in WS, something like 1 every other other pavilion or so.

Having said that, I would LOVE if Disney cut some kind of deal with the BBC for a Doctor Who attraction in the UK Pavilion.

100% agree with this. There's a lot of cool stuff that could be done with such a concept and Doctor Who is something that is both entertainment and a significant cultural heritage for the country. Would be interesting. As a fan of the show over the many years, I would absolutely love it, and it would create some interest M&Gs (Dalek or Cyberman anyone?).

That said, they could have a more classic concept by having a ride that focuses on druids and Stonehenge.

PolynesianPrincess

I've been a very strong believer that Disney characters do NOT belong in World Showcase pavilions and as much as I love the movie Ratatouille, I still stand firm in my belief. World Showcase is no place for characters (other than the meet and greets. As long as they are subtle and don't take away from the country (and most don't) then that's fine.) I feel like they are trying to dumb down Epcot experiences and it started with adding Nemo to the Seas. Then changing Gran Fiesta Tour and the narration in Spaceship Earth. Just because it's Disney doesn't mean characters have to be incorporated into everything. World Showcase was NEVER intended to house characters. It was made to be educational and show people different cultures around the world. Is it such a bad thing to keep it that way? What is so wrong about a theme park being educational? I would love to see more attractions and/or shows added to WS, but not including characters. Those rides belong in MK or DHS.

PhotoDave219

Every country? No, every one doesn't need a "ride" though I'd argue that each pavilion should have at least one major entertainment offering (e.g. American Adventure or a film like Impressions de France should count). With 11 countries, I'd argue that there should be something like 5 to 7 rides in WS, something like 1 every other other pavilion or so.

100% agree with this. There's a lot of cool stuff that could be done with such a concept and Doctor Who is something that is both entertainment and a significant cultural heritage for the country. Would be interesting. As a fan of the show over the many years, I would absolutely love it, and it would create some interest M&Gs (Dalek or Cyberman anyone?).

That said, they could have a more classic concept by having a ride that focuses on druids and Stonehenge.

Nope. Same as keeping the toons out, keep that Doctor out as well.

PhotoDave219

I am all for seperation of church and state and would not want a statue of christ anywhere i "had" to go (like a government building) but if you are looking for the iconic picture of brazil, it is that mountain with the statue on top. when i go to WS in EPCOT, i want to experience the countries that I most likely (as is the case with most people) will never get to go to in my lifetime. that is why i don't mind the circle theaters and movies showing off the countries (as opposed to rides). I would love a brazilian country in WS. and with all the tourists from brazil along with both the olympics and world cup being hosted, it is as good a time as any to add it.

Uh, what does the separation of church and state have to do with a statue potentially inside a theme park?

Ignohippo

The film is cultural and intelligent, ya' purist. And even then it isn't a wacky and zany cartoon.

It's a great movie, no doubt, but how does me arguing the fact that you said the ride was "intelligent and cultural yet not whacky and zany" make me a purist?

As I said in my earlier post, I don't care at all if they add characters to WS - but if they do, it needs to be done right. Adding some kind of attraction that educates while bringing in a bigger audience would be welcomed (something like a Woody ride through the American Old West) but there is nothing cultural or intelligent about a mouse running through a kitchen.

lebeau

The "A Long, long time ago" is to frame it as happening along time ago in the Star Wars galaxy not ours lol. The idea is that a Skywalker descendent or droid is telling the history of Luke's adventures against the Empire. If anything it is our far future.

That is so made up. "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" is basically "once upon a time".

CrescentLake

France already opens at 9, so it makes sense to add a ride there.

I'm just happy to hear that Future World cosmetic updates are rumored to be in the plan. They can't ignore that area.

Also encouraged they could be greenlit for next year. If that happens that tells me they FINALLY realize things need to get moving. Let's hope they follow through.

Did I miss somethng this week? Where are all these rumors? As an Epcot fanboi I would love to see them...

lebeau

Why the Eff is Kong a priority when the last Kong movie bombed back in 2005 and Jurassic park has a major movie coming out next summer that Universal is hoping will relaunch the franchise? King Kong next to JP also totally destroys the coherent JP theme and kills any little hope left for a major JP e-ticket (something like the jeep safari) from ever getting built.

Combined with the dumb carnival games, closing of Trike Encounter, and Harry Potter eating up the east side it's really sad what happened to the JP island. It used to be so faithful to the novels and film it was a really believable park within a park.

Since when did Peter Jackson's King Kong remake bomb? It grossed over $550 million world wide. Its domestic gross was a little soft given its production cost. At worst, it was mildly disappointing. But far from a bomb.

twebber55

Since when did Peter Jackson's King Kong remake bomb? It grossed over $550 million world wide. Its domestic gross was a little soft given its production cost. At worst, it was mildly disappointing. But far from a bomb.
to me too many people put way too much stock in how a movie does than actually look at the content for the ride/attraction..but i agree Kong did fine and is still well known...this looks like a great attraction which IOA needs to even out whats about to happen

lazyboy97o

The thing I don't understand about the whole fluster over having a Christ the Redeemer statue is that there already is religious iconography in the parks. To rattle off a few examples; Hindu gods in DAK's Asia, Stave Church, aka the former Anna and Elsa hug zone, in Norway, and the Mosque in the Morocco pavilion.
And I am not sure who would object. Its a well known icon.

lebeau

to me too many people put way too much stock in how a movie does than actually look at the content for the ride/attraction..but i agree Kong did fine and is still well known...this looks like a great attraction which IOA needs to even out whats about to happen

Kong is an icon regardless of how well his last movie performed at the box office. When I was a kid in the 70s, we had a truly terrible Kong remake. But everyone was still crazy about the big ape.

King-Kong-1976-Poster.jpg

Kong is timeless. And there is a strong association between Kong and Universal. It makes sense to bring Kong back in a new attraction.

A JP expansion makes sense too. But a new JP movie isn't likely to have a long term effect on the popularity of the franchise. Odds are, it will be about as big a boost as JP3. I remember being at Universal the weekend the latest Mummy movie came out. It wasn't exactly driving attendance. Tying in a theme park expansion to a new JP movie is fine, but it shouldn't be a priority. Odds are the movie will be forgotten the following summer.

michael.fumc

Sorry, you're just not getting it. It's already been explained how everything in Maelstrom is directly related to Norwegian folklore and history. Giant food props have nothing. nada. zilch. to do with French culture and history. If the The ONLY excuse is "Ratatouille takes place in France". A ride using Ratatouille could possibly fit, but the current ride that is already being built at DLP does not at all.

It's the same situation at The Seas with Nemo and Friends. Turtle Talk fits in quite well at the pavilion. The clamshell ride does not belong in Epcot because it is nothing more than a Fantasyland-style recap of the movie. Zero reason to be in a huge, actual aquarium that should be and was originally educational and scientific/biology focused. They could have, however, used the Finding Nemo characters and made a ride that does fit. I've mentioned this idea before, but perhaps something like a ride-along field trip with Mr. Ray as if you are part of his class as he teaches about coral reefs.

I and many others would rather have no character themed attractions at Epcot, but if they're going to do it, they should try harder than taking an existing ride and plopping it down in Epcot that fits by setting only.
They really did miss the boat on that ride. It is a must for my family because my kids love it, however I have always wished it wasn't about the movie, the following Mr. Ray's class would be a way to use the characters.

JLipnick

Uh, what does the separation of church and state have to do with a statue potentially inside a theme park?
I was just replying to posts that said disney wouldn't put a huge statue of christ in the parks as it would stir up too much potential trouble. i am Jewish so i do not believe in christ and so i have a different opinion than most when it comes to religion in public spaces, but I was just pointing out that in the case of Brazil, there is no more well known icon than this statue and it would be a great fit.

Communicore

Kong is an icon regardless of how well his last movie performed at the box office. When I was a kid in the 70s, we had a truly terrible Kong remake. But everyone was still crazy about the big ape.

King-Kong-1976-Poster.jpg

Kong is timeless. And there is a strong association between Kong and Universal. It makes sense to bring Kong back in a new attraction.

A JP expansion makes sense too. But a new JP movie isn't likely to have a long term effect on the popularity of the franchise. Odds are, it will be about as big a boost as JP3. I remember being at Universal the weekend the latest Mummy movie came out. It wasn't exactly driving attendance. Tying in a theme park expansion to a new JP movie is fine, but it shouldn't be a priority. Odds are the movie will be forgotten the following summer.
I like that 70's Kong. Even Kong himself, looked 70's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom