Ratatouille in Epcot

Suspirian

Please bring the new country...but are those people playing soccer in the concept art? Seems odd. Are these hired CMs forced to continually fake play soccer?

Concept art quality just ain't what it used to be is it?
From what I've been told, It's not always necissarily for concept art to be extremely detailed. Sometimes, it's just meant to get an idea out there.

Last edited:

louanneyis

I'll be happy with any new addition as long as it's not a Frozen Maelstrom ride!
5g.jpg

SteamboatStitch

Honestly I will never understand the complaint about how this doesn't fit in France when over in Norway we have Trolls and horned viking helmets (not a real thing by the way) representing Norway. Though it certainly advocates Norwegian culture, the entire first part of that ride falls right into that territory that if it were built today, fall under these same criticisms because it's a fanciful and perhaps stereotypical look at a country rather than something that I suppose should be strictly educational or falling into some sacred No-characters-allowed territory which was obviously broken as soon as these trolls were introduced, movie tie-in or not.

But perhaps my view on EPCOT is different from most. I think the overall goal of world showcase should be to encourage in interest in the world abroad rather than home, to learn about them, and to get a taste of that culture. A ratatouille ride can easily spark this interest for young minds and is not offensive or (as far as I know) some cruel stereotype. It's a potential way to introduce someone to the culture, and in this day and age with all the media we have at our fingertips, doing so is incredibly easy (which at the same time makes it that much more difficult to educate AND entertain, as anyone can pull up a video or pictures about France these days, even children). In this way, the ride would serve both as education (if not directly) and entertainment, part of what I think is the end goal.

And I can relate to this on a personal level. Before visiting the Norwegian pavilion in EPCOT, I had no idea what a viking or troll was, or anything about Norway itself. I rode Maelstrom, and it set a fire in my brain that has yet to go out. It started with researching vikings, to their culture, to the history of Norway, then to Europe and it's history, and it just grew from there. But it started with those unrealistic viking helmets and those fake trolls, because I was a kid and thought they looked freaky and cool. Ratatouille the movie and the ride can do the same thing for others, and a large part of me feels because the movie was made first is the only reason this gets so much ire. Would we react the same way if a ride about us being shrunk down through a Parisian kitchen through the perspective of a mouse was made when EPCOT was and was later made into a movie? I think some of the same people here wanting to burn the idea down would be claiming it as innovative genius.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

Honestly I will never understand the complaint about how this doesn't fit in France when over in Norway we have Trolls and horned viking helmets (not a real thing by the way) representing Norway. Though it certainly advocates Norwegian culture, the entire first part of that ride falls right into that territory that if it were built today, fall under these same criticisms because it's a fanciful and perhaps stereotypical look at a country rather than something that I suppose should be strictly educational or falling into some sacred No-characters-allowed territory which was obviously broken as soon as these trolls were introduced, movie tie-in or not.

But perhaps my view on EPCOT is different from most. I think the overall goal of world showcase should be to encourage in interest in the world abroad rather than home, to learn about them, and to get a taste of that culture. A ratatouille ride can easily spark this interest for young minds and is not offensive or (as far as I know) some cruel stereotype. It's a potential way to introduce someone to the culture, and in this day and age with all the media we have at our fingertips, doing so is incredibly easy. In this way, the ride would serve both as education (if not directly) and entertainment, part of what I think is the end goal.

And I can relate to this on a personal level. Before visiting the Norwegian pavilion in EPCOT, I had no idea what a viking or troll was, or anything about Norway itself. I rode Maelstrom, and it set a fire in my brain that has yet to go out. It started with researching vikings, to their culture, to the history of Norway, then to Europe and it's history, and it just grew from there. But it started with those unrealistic viking helmets and those fake trolls, because I was a kid and thought they looked freaky and cool. Ratatouille the movie and the ride can do the same thing for others, and a large part of me feels because the movie was made first is the only reason this gets so much ire.

Very well said! I feel much the same way.

Kman101

I'd rather they fix what they have then worry about new pavilions, but the point has been proven, although we know at the end of the day which way they'd go. It's just how it is now. I can't ever see a new pavilion as much as I want one. But the other countries should get rides before we get a new pavilion.

Sam Magic

But perhaps my view on EPCOT is different from most. I think the overall goal of world showcase should be to encourage in interest in the world abroad rather than home, to learn about them, and to get a taste of that culture. A ratatouille ride can easily spark this interest for young minds and is not offensive or (as far as I know) some cruel stereotype. It's a potential way to introduce someone to the culture, and in this day and age with all the media we have at our fingertips, doing so is incredibly easy (which at the same time makes it that much more difficult to educate AND entertain, as anyone can pull up a video or pictures about France these days, even children). In this way, the ride would serve both as education (if not directly) and entertainment, part of what I think is the end goal.

And I can relate to this on a personal level. Before visiting the Norwegian pavilion in EPCOT, I had no idea what a viking or troll was, or anything about Norway itself. I rode Maelstrom, and it set a fire in my brain that has yet to go out. It started with researching vikings, to their culture, to the history of Norway, then to Europe and it's history, and it just grew from there. But it started with those unrealistic viking helmets and those fake trolls, because I was a kid and thought they looked freaky and cool. Ratatouille the movie and the ride can do the same thing for others, and a large part of me feels because the movie was made first is the only reason this gets so much ire. Would we react the same way if a ride about us being shrunk down through a Parisian kitchen through the perspective of a mouse was made when EPCOT was and was later made into a movie? I think some of the same people here wanting to burn the idea down would be claiming it as innovative genius.
A Parisian over at Disney and more said that the Ratatouille ride in DLP does a perfect job of recreating Paris and has a French feel. So it fits, works, and would get people into the park.

Matt_Black

I don't think every country needs a ride. As long as they have unique and entertaining attractions, be that a ride, a show of some sort, or live entertainment out in the "streets", that's good.

Having said that, I would LOVE if Disney cut some kind of deal with the BBC for a Doctor Who attraction in the UK Pavilion.

Sam Magic

I'd rather they fix what they have then worry about new pavilions, but the point has been proven, although we know at the end of the day which way they'd go. It's just how it is now. I can't ever see a new pavilion as much as I want one. But the other countries should get rides before we get a new pavilion.
Well according to research I have done the pavilion was on the table for a while, sometime between 2009-2011. Apparently there were rumors that it would be announced in 2011, I guess this artwork and the other stuff Lee has is all that remains of this pavilion.

Sam Magic

I don't think every country needs a ride. As long as they have unique and entertaining attractions, be that a ride, a show of some sort, or live entertainment out in the "streets", that's good.

Having said that, I would LOVE if Disney cut some kind of deal with the BBC for a Doctor Who attraction in the UK Pavilion.
Not me, that's too much character for me. I would rather DW go to Tomorrowland, something I would love in the UK would be a revival of the old Industrial Revolution ride planned for Disney's America.

SteamboatStitch

Not me, that's too much character for me. I would rather DW go to Tomorrowland, something I would love in the UK would be a revival of the old Industrial Revolution ride planned for Disney's America.

I have been silently dreaming for that coaster/ride since I first heard of it. The UK would be a fantastic place for it as it, provided it has the space without messing up crowd flow and the facade. It also doesn't include any characters so everyone can be happy (I don't see why anyone would have any legit complaints about this idea.)

Matt_Black

I don't see a problem with it. The shops there already sell Dr. Who merchandise, and the entertainment in the UK pavilion has generally focused on the pop cultural rather than the historic.

Fun side note- on Halloween night, I was in Epcot (watching the Spin Doctors, oh yeah!) and on my way out, I stopped in. I wound up in front of the Dr. Who section and began chatting up some other guests who likewise enjoyed DW. As we're chatting, two younger guests dressed up for Halloween enter... dressed as The Tenth Doctor and a Weeping Angel. YES.

Sam Magic

I have been silently dreaming for that coaster/ride since I first heard of it. The UK would be a fantastic place for it as it, provided it has the space without messing up crowd flow and the facade.
You could place it inside a Crystal Palace reconstruction, and historically it would work. More-so if they did that along with a French ride it would bring people into the park.
I don't see a problem with it. The shops there already sell Dr. Who merchandise, and the entertainment in the UK pavilion has generally focused on the pop cultural rather than the historic.

Fun side note- on Halloween night, I was in Epcot (watching the Spin Doctors, oh yeah!) and on my way out, I stopped in. I wound up in front of the Dr. Who section and began chatting up some other guests who likewise enjoyed DW. As we're chatting, two younger guests dressed up for Halloween enter... dressed as The Tenth Doctor and a Weeping Angel. YES.
I am as big of a Doctor Who fan as Peter Capalldi and have looked at ways to incorporate the franchise into a ride. Epcot simply does not work, Tomorrowland would be much better. The main problem I see is that even though it is a cultural icon of the UK it is lesser known here in the states, placing it in Tomorrowland will introduce people to it more than having it in Epcot would. I also do not think Epcot should become home to different character or franchised films. Ratatoulli works because it is purely French, DW is pure SciFi. It would be better if the UK had an attraction that:
1. Taught History
2. Introduced English History
3. Encouraged people to learn about England

Also there are far more creative ways to insert DW into the UK that would not cost much and give fans a kick (Tardis, Susan sign, Autons, etc.)

Matt_Black

It would be better if the UK had an attraction that:
1. Taught History
2. Introduced English History
3. Encouraged people to learn about England

You know what? You're right. There's no way you could use Doctor Who to teach kids about history or England. For that, he'd need some sort of machine that could travel through time and relative dimensions in space.

PREMiERdrum

You know what? You're right. There's no way you could use Doctor Who to teach kids about history or England. For that, he'd need some sort of machine that could travel through time and relative dimensions in space.

While we're talking about show quality in the UK pavilion, can somebody please do something about a Taiwan-built Tama drumset being used for display props, when there's still a wonderful manufacturer still building kits in the UK???

JLipnick

Christ the Redeemer statue would add to the skyline but sadly, in this day and age, I don't think it would go over well.
I am all for seperation of church and state and would not want a statue of christ anywhere i "had" to go (like a government building) but if you are looking for the iconic picture of brazil, it is that mountain with the statue on top. when i go to WS in EPCOT, i want to experience the countries that I most likely (as is the case with most people) will never get to go to in my lifetime. that is why i don't mind the circle theaters and movies showing off the countries (as opposed to rides). I would love a brazilian country in WS. and with all the tourists from brazil along with both the olympics and world cup being hosted, it is as good a time as any to add it.

JLipnick

You know what is funny? with all the Keep Calm and ....... shirts out there, when I wear my keep calm and don't blink shirt, people ask what does that mean. most people have no idea that don't blink was the origin of the keep calm shirts.:joyfull::angelic::hungover:

dgp602

Uh...Please tell me your post may contain trace amounts of sarcasm... :confused:

If only there were a thematically better place in Walt Disney World to place such an attraction, maybe some sort of "Fantasy" land or something. Or, perhaps some sort of park devoted to movie themed attractions.
LOL Just the right amount of sarcasm is exactly what I needed in the morning!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom