Props removed from Adventurers Club, signage removed from Bet Soundstage and Comedy

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That management style no longer exists. That Disney would do VERY minor cosmetic work to the AC building so that it looks less tacky means nothing about the future of the building. I understand questioning my assertions since I have no insider knowledge. Questioning Steve's credibility on this stuff seems rather desperate.
It might not exist now but it did then. I was also not questioning Steve I was backing him up.

WDW Vacationer

That is Disney for you. Possibly reopening the clubs is not the only reason they would have done nothing. We have see far to many times that TDO has no problem leaving an eyesore fully visible to guests to save a buck and keep options open. (ie River Country)

They had removed signage on 8 Trax I believe.

WDW Vacationer

That management style no longer exists. That Disney would do VERY minor cosmetic work to the AC building so that it looks less tacky means nothing about the future of the building. I understand questioning my assertions since I have no insider knowledge. Questioning Steve's credibility on this stuff seems rather desperate.

What's tacky about it? AC will look like a warehouse now. I'd rather have a building that at least looks alive outside.

Let's not forget they took some AC props away already. Why didn't they get rid of the signage then? Why the urgency now?

jt04

It might not exist now but it did then. I was also not questioning Steve I was backing him up.

I understand that. That portion of my comments were for some previous comments by others. You seem to have a balanced viewpoint but then you are Yoda.

jt04

What's tacky about it? AC will look like a warehouse now. I'd rather have a building that at least looks alive outside.

Let's not forget they took some AC props away already. Why didn't they get rid of the signage then? Why the urgency now?

My guess is that when they finally got around to taking down the letters a management type walked by and said something like, "can't you patch that and throw some paint on it so it does not look so tacky? Guests still walk through this area"

Something like that.

(Oddly, entertainment seems to be immune to this whole phenomenon. How much money does the the HSM street show bring in at the Studios. Or the castle shows? Certainly they don’t pull in enough business on their own to justify paying their overhead.)

Not immune at all. The Entertainment budget is a shell of its former self. Eliminated entertainment, reduced cast sizes, fewer performances...

WDW Vacationer

My guess is that when they finally got around to taking down the letters a management type walked by and said something like, "can't you patch that and throw some paint on it so it does not look so tacky? Guests still walk through this area"

Something like that.

First, the letters appear to be "carved" in to the facade. They were filled in, not taken down.

Second, an announcement is coming shortly, if Staggs is to be believed.
Disney management, at this point knows what they are doing at PI, if that is true. They know what buildings are going and which are staying.

So if the AC is going, why are they doing work. No company or management this cheap and uncaring about quality would put effort in to a building on the chopping block. Unless TDO really IS that stupid. Which, well...would be no surprise. Though I believe people further from Florida are in control at PI.

Again, why the sense of urgency? AC returning as we knew, or building being repurposed? If something else is going in the building, why are the AC props still in Florida? (Or at least some of them.) If they are not going to PI, then where?

jt04

First, the letters appear to be "carved" in to the facade. They were filled in, not taken down.

Second, an announcement is coming shortly, if Staggs is to be believed.
Disney management, at this point knows what they are doing at PI, if that is true. They know what buildings are going and which are staying.

So if the AC is going, why are they doing work. No company or management this cheap and uncaring about quality would put effort in to a building on the chopping block. Unless TDO really IS that stupid. Which, well...would be no surprise. Though I believe people further from Florida are in control at PI.

Again, why the sense of urgency? AC returning as we knew, or building being repurposed? If something else is going in the building, why are the AC props still in Florida? (Or at least some of them.) If they are not going to PI, then where?

Again, this just seems to be part of the recent work of removing the remaining PI signage and nothing more. Possibly also, they are breaking the news to PI fans slowly that PI is not coming back. Just a guess.

WDW Vacationer

Again, this just seems to be part of the recent work of removing the remaining PI signage and nothing more. Possibly also, they are breaking the news to PI fans slowly that PI is not coming back. Just a guess.

Possible.

But Steve seemed to think the buildings would need to be demolished.

But some AC props are in FL, with nowhere else to go.

The Mom

Premium Member
Here’s the thing about the Club being a failed business venture (which it wasn’t, necessarily…):
__
It highlights the major flaw in the current business model at Disney parks.
Years ago, the resort was looked at as a whole. One business operating under the umbrella of the Walt Disney World resort. The idea was that all parts of the resort, from the E-tickets in the parks to the unique little shops to things like the Electric Water Pagent, were all part of the experience. Each little attraction or shop was not required to turn a big profit by itself. They all contributed to the whole guest experience and to the financial pot. Some made money, some didn’t…but the resort made barrels of cash overall.

Then, several years ago, a new business model was introduced. The pencil pushers decided that every individual location had to generate a profit. Under that method….say goodbye to the shops selling African curios in AL, to the perfume shop, to the magic shop, etc. All great stores that contributed to the overall guest experience. But, since a shop selling Grumpy sweatshirts could generate more income….the unique shops were done away with. Now you find the same stuff in every store, and Hannah Montana goods in Tomorrowland.

__

So true. We went into the magic shop on Main St every single trip, because my husband is a bit of a magic fan. We still have an incredible dragon head (for a costume) that we purchased 2 decades ago, and still use at Halloween.

Back in the day, I received many compliments on the earrings I had purchased in the store in AL, and also for other items purchased elsewhere. With the exception of an item or two in WS in Epcot, I haven't purchased anything in years.

Admiral01

Premium Member

I can't really speak on the specifics of PI because I don't know any. However, there could be environmental reasons that work needs to be done inside the building before it is torn down. That sort of work happens all the time. Removal of insulation, electrical wires, types of piping, etc, all may need to be done in order to demolish the building under current codes. Disney may have no choice but to do the work before the building is torn down.

I have no idea if that would be the case, here, but it could be a reason work is going on inside a soon-to-be-demolished building. I would much rather believe that they are doing something creative with the structure, though.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I can't really speak on the specifics of PI because I don't know any. However, there could be environmental reasons that work needs to be done inside the building before it is torn down. That sort of work happens all the time. Removal of insulation, electrical wires, types of piping, etc, all may need to be done in order to demolish the building under current codes. Disney may have no choice but to do the work before the building is torn down.

I have no idea if that would be the case, here, but it could be a reason work is going on inside a soon-to-be-demolished building. I would much rather believe that they are doing something creative with the structure, though.

I disagree. These bulidings have been more than ready for demolition. I watched them tear apart motion on the inside, then demolish it. The only things they took out were electronics. Everything else was still there.

On that note, 8-trax has been repainted a generic yellow and AC painting is complete as well.

lazyboy97o

Here’s the thing about the Club being a failed business venture (which it wasn’t, necessarily…):
__
Years ago, the resort was looked at as a whole. One business operating under the umbrella of the Walt Disney World resort. The idea was that all parts of the resort, from the E-tickets in the parks to the unique little shops to things like the Electric Water Pagent, were all part of the experience. Each little attraction or shop was not required to turn a big profit by itself. They all contributed to the whole guest experience and to the financial pot. Some made money, some didn’t…but the resort made barrels of cash overall.

Then, several years ago, a new business model was introduced. The pencil pushers decided that every individual location had to generate a profit. Under that method….say goodbye to the shops selling African curios in AL, to the perfume shop, to the magic shop, etc. All great stores that contributed to the overall guest experience. But, since a shop selling Grumpy sweatshirts could generate more income….the unique shops were done away with. Now you find the same stuff in every store, and Hannah Montana goods in Tomorrowland.

AC is a victim of that mindset. It added greatly to the overall guest experience, but didn’t make enough money for the sharp-pencil boys.

It’s another sign of the death of the Keys to the Kingdom, where COURTESY and SHOW were put above EFFICIENCY.

(Oddly, entertainment seems to be immune to this whole phenomenon. How much money does the the HSM street show bring in at the Studios. Or the castle shows? Certainly they don’t pull in enough business on their own to justify paying their overhead.)
__
What is more amazing is that they have not taken a step back and realized that now, as a whole, the stores are generating less revenue. Each store having the same item lowered cost and increased flow of guests (because store of purchase became more a point of convenience) but guest spending continues to remain depressed. The same instance at focusing on specifics and not the whole has contributed to the debacle of Please Island in which the shopping district has been much more so cut in half and expenses incurred for years now without return.

Alektronic

What is more amazing is that they have not taken a step back and realized that now, as a whole, the stores are generating less revenue. Each store having the same item lowered cost and increased flow of guests (because store of purchase became more a point of convenience) but guest spending continues to remain depressed. The same instance at focusing on specifics and not the whole has contributed to the debacle of Please Island in which the shopping district has been much more so cut in half and expenses incurred for years now without return.

I think that was in part that led to the demise of Pleasure Island. The merchandise stores inside PI were the ones who were losing money. Nobody came to PI to shop, they came for the entertainment, dancing, drinking, and a one a kind nightlife experience especially with nightly NYE fireworks and celebrations.

They saw a lot of people walking around PI at night going from the Marketplace to the West Side and they thought How can we get the shoppers inside PI? Let's take down the turnstiles and then we will have more traffic here and maybe more shoppers. And you see how well that worked out!!

jakeman

I think some of you are reading way to much into the fact the sign was plastered over. Work like this takes Disney crews a couple of hours to do overnight. It isn't expensive, nor is it a big job. My guess is that the signs have been removed from all the clubs basically because they are closed. It makes no sense to have signs on locations that are closed. The new plans for DTD may absolutely require the demolition of a good big chunk of that area.
But Steve...there is URGENCY! URGENCY Steve!

Aren't you reading these post!? URGENCY!

:rolleyes:

Really guys. If you don't believe Steve, then get your own sources and provide a counter-argument. It's obvious that Steve has information that he can't share.

There is a possibility that his information is wrong. There always is when it comes to rumors, but the majority of the poo-poo'er in this thread are making conclusions with far less data than Steve has.

Lee, I agree with you about the downfall of PI and the AC. I don't think anything at WDW has ever been handled as poorly as the closing of the PI clubs.

Skipper Dan

__

Then, several years ago, a new business model was introduced. The pencil pushers decided that every individual location had to generate a profit. Under that method….say goodbye to the shops selling African curios in AL, to the shop, to the magic shop, etc. All great stores that contributed to the overall guest experience. But, since a shop selling Grumpy sweatshirts could generate more income….the unique shops were done away with. Now you find the same stuff in every store, and Hannah Montana goods in Tomorrowland.

AC is a victim of that mindset. It added greatly to the overall guest experience, but didn’t make enough money for the sharp-pencil boys.

It’s another sign of the death of the Keys to the Kingdom, where COURTESY and SHOW were put above EFFICIENCY.

__

Lee, I do believe that you and I were cut from the same cloth, my man. With roughly $60 billion dollars, I think you and I could purchase, and do great things with the Walt Disney Company! :wave: :cool:

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
But Steve...there is URGENCY! URGENCY Steve!

Aren't you reading these post!? URGENCY!

:rolleyes:

Really guys. If you don't believe Steve, then get your own sources and provide a counter-argument. It's obvious that Steve has information that he can't share.

There is a possibility that his information is wrong. There always is when it comes to rumors, but the majority of the poo-poo'er in this thread are making conclusions with far less data than Steve has.

Lee, I agree with you about the downfall of PI and the AC. I don't think anything at WDW has ever been handled as poorly as the closing of the PI clubs.

The source I'm relying on is the one that said back in March or so that
1. no further demolitions were happening anytime soon(confirmed by Disney's own writing as well as permits for renovation not demolition)
2. HW was put on hold (confirmed by Disney as they "rework" their plans. Also they specifically do not mention the name HW in their blog article, only PI)
3. Disney is open to 3rd parties operating the clubs as clubs and can be similar, but must be different than what originally existed(yet to be confirmed)
4. There was a battle between Disney and 3rd parties about tearing down the buildings or renovating them. Permits confirm, renovation

5. My ex saw a bunch of suits on the island with drawings. He was able to get close enough to glance and said the drawings were nothing like the HW concept art, nor did they look like the buildings originally existed. He over heard them talking about a queue in front of CW. He has no reason to lie or make things up to me. This, combined with above information, leads me to believe they are doing a facelift on the buildings and will reopen as 3rd party. The talk about a queue in front of CW gives me hope for SOMETHING entertainment based since no queue is needed for restaurant or shops(except at WWOHP of course :ROFLOL:)

Steve's comments that the PI ppl will never be happy, isn't true for all of us. All I want is somewhere at Disney to drink and dance at night. I don't care who operates it as long as it is either dance or 70s/80s. CW would be nice too. If they accomplish this in some way that actually includes dancing at night, I will be happy.

jt04

The source I'm relying on is the one that said back in March or so that
1. no further demolitions were happening anytime soon(confirmed by Disney's own writing as well as permits for renovation not demolition)
2. HW was put on hold (confirmed by Disney as they "rework" their plans. Also they specifically do not mention the name HW in their blog article, only PI)
3. Disney is open to 3rd parties operating the clubs as clubs and can be similar, but must be different than what originally existed(yet to be confirmed)
4. There was a battle between Disney and 3rd parties about tearing down the buildings or renovating them. Permits confirm, renovation

5. My ex saw a bunch of suits on the island with drawings. He was able to get close enough to glance and said the drawings were nothing like the HW concept art, nor did they look like the buildings originally existed. He over heard them talking about a queue in front of CW. He has no reason to lie or make things up to me. This, combined with above information, leads me to believe they are doing a facelift on the buildings and will reopen as 3rd party. The talk about a queue in front of CW gives me hope for SOMETHING entertainment based since no queue is needed for restaurant or shops(except at WWOHP of course :ROFLOL:)

Steve's comments that the PI ppl will never be happy, isn't true for all of us. All I want is somewhere at Disney to drink and dance at night. I don't care who operates it as long as it is either dance or 70s/80s. CW would be nice too. If they accomplish this in some way that actually includes dancing at night, I will be happy.

Bongos and Jellyrolls and other places have drinking and dancing so you are covered there. Oh, and the construction walls just went up for the new DTD bowling alley so progress continues daily.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
He really isn't though.

In one post, he says the work on the AC is low cost and quick.

Then he says in another post that more money has come in to tidy things up.

And he says they are taking the signs down because the clubs are closed. He must be forgetting they have been closed for 3 years now.

He says when they (finally) do something at Downtown Disney, they will need purpose built structues. Meaning they'd need to tear down existing building. Now, what company on Earth would put ANY amount of time or money in a building just to tear it down?

None.

So, a big part of his argument contains no common sense at all.

I'm not saying the Club is coming back, but his argument is flawed.

I talked about this in a previous post but you must have missed it.

Yes the work on the AC sign fix is low cost and quick. It has been done in a couple of nights.

Some money has obviously come to DTD to allow for a lot of refurbishments. West Side signs, Marketplace concrete replacement, Cirque signage, new fountains, new landscaping, new lighting. This is something that DTD has not had in years.

There is no denying that the closing of the clubs has not been handled well for the last 3 years - and no, I am not forgetting that they have been closed and had their signs in place. New leadership has recently come in, and has a different take on things and is clearly handling things differently. Rather than letting the place rot until the major new plan goes through (which appeared to be the old leadership strategy), they are now keeping things maintained to a good level until the new plans are executed. Different management styles occur all the time in the parks. What one VP thinks is acceptable (i.e.. leaving the signs up on closed attractions), is not acceptable to another. I understand from cast in the area that they are frequently asked at what time the club opens. This won't be an issue now its signage is gone. The closed club no longer looks like its about to open on that evening.

There is every possibility that the new plan will require purpose built buildings, which will mean the demolition of the clubs. This of course will only be determined once the new plans are green-lit, which is currently not the case. They are still in development. Until that point, the clubs could be left closed, or potentially filled with a pop-up vendor. It may well be 2012 before the new plans are green-lit.

Yes Disney are prepared to spend a small amount of money on something that may end up being demolished. It has happened before and will happen again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom