Props removed from Adventurers Club, signage removed from Bet Soundstage and Comedy

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
See I think this would have worked perfectly with the Hyperion Wharf plan. I thought that as the wharf transformed as the evening went on (and families became scarce) that the district would transform into something similar to ElecTRONica.

Perhaps they have an even bolder concept.

:lol: You make me laugh.

PalisadesPkteer

Hi 71Jason

Not saying that it should only be a restaurant and / or dinner show.

I did state that the current AC building could be saved and used as a bar / club.

The former BET soundstage could be destroyed and that area would be now a part of the new 3rd party developed project utilizing the AC. The former BET area could be purpose built to do many things. Could use it for showing shows like they had in the AC and MAYBE could be a dinner show with it.

NOT the only thing the 3rd party could use it for, just 1 of the ideas they could do.

It would depend on the 3rd party who takes it. This gives them the AC for bar / club rather quickly and the new area were BET was can be built to suit them and their project what ever it is in the near future.

71jason

Umm...how did you get in?? :shrug:

The AdvClub and Comedy Warehouse always admitted people under 18 as long as accompanied by someone over 21. It was a matter of some controversy, but kids were not exactly a rare sight in the Club. My ex-g/f's 6 year-old actually became a bit of a Disney celebrity after he appeared in a Youtube video filmed during the Hoopla.

For the record, ALL the clubs except Mannequins had the same policy until roughly 2005. Again, many patrons frowned upon it, but you would see kids dancing in 8-Traxx or Beach Club.

71jason

Hi 71Jason

Not saying that it should only be a restaurant and / or dinner show.

I did state that the current AC building could be saved and used as a bar / club.

The former BET soundstage could be destroyed and that area would be now a part of the new 3rd party developed project utilizing the AC. The former BET area could be purpose built to do many things. Could use it for showing shows like they had in the AC and MAYBE could be a dinner show with it.

Again, wasn't trying to single you out, but I've heard the idea raised by supporters and detractors. I still don't see it being as profitable as the clubs were. The fact that PI management seemingly was unable to grasp that fact--that they thought they could bring in eight restaurants at $1m/year + 1/3 of the gross--shows that they were plucked by a head hunter from some mall chain store and didn't understand the business they were running.

The Mom

Premium Member
The AdvClub and Comedy Warehouse always admitted people under 18 as long as accompanied by someone over 21. It was a matter of some controversy, but kids were not exactly a rare sight in the Club. My ex-g/f's 6 year-old actually became a bit of a Disney celebrity after he appeared in a Youtube video filmed during the Hoopla.

For the record, ALL the clubs except Mannequins had the same policy until roughly 2005. Again, many patrons frowned upon it, but you would see kids dancing in 8-Traxx or Beach Club.

When there was still admission, they had to have an adult to get on the island at all after a certain time (?7PM) and I thought that even then they had to be over 18 - but I might be mistaken. The first time I ever went (2002) there was still an admission charge just to enter the area, and my daughter was finally old enough to go with me - but I might have been able to bring her when she was younger, but didn't realize it. But I probably wouldn't have, and only brought my son when he was under the age of 18 because my daughter and her bf wanted to see the AC, and I knew that he would "get" the humor (thanks to having an older, college aged sister) and the booths had been removed by then.

Kamikaze

When there was still admission, they had to have an adult to get on the island at all after a certain time (?7PM) and I thought that even then they had to be over 18 - but I might be mistaken. The first time I ever went (2002) there was still an admission charge just to enter the area, and my daughter was finally old enough to go with me - but I might have been able to bring her when she was younger, but didn't realize it. But I probably wouldn't have, and only brought my son when he was under the age of 18 because my daughter and her bf wanted to see the AC, and I knew that he would "get" the humor (thanks to having an older, college aged sister) and the booths had been removed by then.

Nope, they never had to be over 18. Only accompanied by an adult.

Problem was, at AC, they toned down the shows with children in attendance.

The Mom

Premium Member

I guess it just didn't occur to me to bring my children until they were older, and, as I mentioned, my son would have been older than 18 if not for his sister wanting to go again. And the fact that he had already been exposed to comedy that was a bit more adult oriented, such as Black Adder, Monthy Python, etc.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Good news to hear. Maybe this means we shall see something else in that area!

Late thread entry is late.

Mouse Detective

The AdvClub and Comedy Warehouse always admitted people under 18 as long as accompanied by someone over 21. It was a matter of some controversy, but kids were not exactly a rare sight in the Club.

I can recall children/teens dancing in 8trax a few years before the clubs were closed. I think near the end all the clubs reverted to 21+.

Also I believe when PI first opened the space later occupied by 8trax and The Cage originally was called Videopolis East and was a teen club.

uklad79

See I think this would have worked perfectly with the Hyperion Wharf plan. I thought that as the wharf transformed as the evening went on (and families became scarce) that the district would transform into something similar to ElecTRONica.

Perhaps they have an even bolder concept.

Please tell me what drugs you are on. Not long ago you moaned on how alcohol has no place now someone comes along with an idea you think Disney might be looking at your all over it like a bad rash with your thoughts and ideas.

"i'm jt04 and the new version of Downtown Disney was my idea" :hammer:

Master Gracey

Please tell me what drugs you are on. Not long ago you moaned on how alcohol has no place now someone comes along with an idea you think Disney might be looking at your all over it like a bad rash with your thoughts and ideas.

Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one who noticed this!

I can recall children/teens dancing in 8trax a few years before the clubs were closed. I think near the end all the clubs reverted to 21+.

Also I believe when PI first opened the space later occupied by 8trax and The Cage originally was called Videopolis East and was a teen club.

You are quite correct, Videopolis East was the 18+ Club.

When did this happen? I was in the Adventurers Club many times when children were there and the only difference from any other night was that the actors made fun of the parents that brought their children to a bar, and then it was business as usual!

Yes the work on the AC sign fix is low cost and quick. It has been done in a couple of nights.
Yes Disney are prepared to spend a small amount of money on something that may end up being demolished. It has happened before and will happen again.

Thats all well and good for the sign, but why would they spend the money on cleaning out the building of mold (as what is currently happening) if it was going to be demolished?

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!​

Brian Noble

why would they spend the money on cleaning out the building of mold (as what is currently happening) if it was going to be demolished?
Because demolishing a building full of mold---thereby spreading it into the air so folks can take deep lungfuls of it---is probably a no-no when it comes to FL code/law.

I'm not saying that demolition is happening, just that there is a reason why abatement might have to happen first.

jt04

The only thing I have said is that Disney pushed it too hard in the early days and that caused problems including underage drinking which I think everyone agrees is not what Disney wanted in the PI guest experience.

You are a victim of your own self-induced narrow-mindedness. But, by all means, find such a post by me, add the link and prove me wrong. :rolleyes: Good luck with that :lol:

JustInTime

Wow...so I could have went the entire time and had no idea. That is heartbreaking. :(

Slowjack

I don't think that was true in the early days. There was a time when to even get into PI you had to be 18. This would have been, oh, early 90s, but when visiting PI with a friend, we both being 21+, my friend's sister had to produce ID showing she was 18 to be admitted. Maybe there was a different rule if you were accompanied by a parent, as opposed to "any" adult, but that's getting complicated!

asianway

I don't think that was true in the early days. There was a time when to even get into PI you had to be 18. This would have been, oh, early 90s, but when visiting PI with a friend, we both being 21+, my friend's sister had to produce ID showing she was 18 to be admitted. Maybe there was a different rule if you were accompanied by a parent, as opposed to "any" adult, but that's getting complicated!

In 1990 I went to PI under 18 with a parent all clubs ecxcept Mannequins and maybe Cage

Slowjack

In 1990 I went to PI under 18 with a parent all clubs ecxcept Mannequins and maybe Cage
Well, that's just odd. I remember we made a special point to have my friend's sister bring her ID because we knew she wouldn't be able to get in without it, and they did check at the gate. Again, the only thing I can think of is maybe if you went in with a parent, versus "any" adult, there was an exception? Seems like a tough rule to enforce, but if you're saying you went in 1990, that would definitely be before my trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom