Props removed from Adventurers Club, signage removed from Bet Soundstage and Comedy

Skipper Dan

i would like to thank Steve for giving us this amazing website! It keeps me connected to my favorite place on the planet, and keeps me informed on all the things I get to see on my next trip (24 days). I loved The Adventurers Club as much as everyone else, but why is everybody so focused on something we can't control? There is SO MUCH More in WDW! I for one am excited about all the things that are STILL THERE for me to experience! Thanks again Steve for keeping me connected to the magic :wave:

Without sounding too much like a kiss***, I second all of that!

Thanks Steve!

You really do keep me connected to my home. :wave:

Snoballego

I know no one will agree with me. However, with the state of the economy over the last few years, the best business decision with the Adventure's Club footprint for WDW was to wait and see. The Adventure's Club, as loved as it was by so many, had to have HUGE overhead costs (labor alone with the performers and techs had to keep this spot in the red most nights). The writing was on the wall once these overhead costs weren't being subsidized by a "cover charge" anymore.

Why no major destruction/construction before now? There was no reason to spend a dime if they could recruit a "business partner" with a big lease to absorb these costs whenever they decided they wanted to transform the space. Additionally, why destruct anything at all when it's current state might be more attractive for someone to come in and quickly repurpose.

Remember, Downtown Disney is first and foremost a revenue generator (not an entertainment destination) and should make individual decisions based solely on maximizing every revenue stream (instead of preserving a collective experience).

Not to drift off topic, the one component of Pleasure Island that I believe could work well independently of the entire PI Concept is the Comedy Warehouse. With La Nouba tickets ranging from $70 and up, I think you could find a nice niche to have a mid-level entertainment option, besides AMC, with bringing the right comedy brand (i.e. Improv or Second City) to Downtown Disney and charging $24.99 a ticket for a 75 minute show. Accomodating at least 200 a show, and doing up to three shows nightly (also sprinkling premium prices when better known comedians perform) and adding in beverage sales - there is a chance to pick-up $5M EBITDA a year. The Downtown Disney restaurants could also cross-market with the comedy outlet by subsidizing ticket prices by creating "dinner & a show packages".

CDavid

Remember, Downtown Disney is first and foremost a revenue generator (not an entertainment destination) and should make individual decisions based solely on maximizing every revenue stream (instead of preserving a collective experience)

You have succinctly described exactly what is wrong with Downtown Disney.

Kamikaze

I agree but I think that may just be wishful thinking. I have thought of what they may be up to and it is killing me not to post it here but I may be to close to the truth so I will keep quiet.

If they are trying to build suspense it is working. :dazzle:

Another successful troll post from jt. There is no reason to not post what you 'think' something is. The only time people with actual sources stay quiet is because they are asked to by said sources. And then they say so. Its not like you would get banned from WDW if you successfully guessed their next project.

boufa

You have succinctly described exactly what is wrong with Downtown Disney.

And you have described exactly what is wrong with some Disney fans. Disney is a for profit business. Revenue is the reason for everything. Hate it, love it, it is the truth. When you discuss the future and past of every decision they make, remember the motivation is to seperate money from your wallet..... No different from the grocery store, or any other business.

As for the AC I think it was the exception to the disaster that was pi. I don't think pi worked, I don't think that pi was a compelling experience that fit the Disney brand. I think it is a place where universal had a distinct advantage. I think that AC could work as a stand alone experience. I wouldn't be suprised to find out that disney does have some plans for a future ac type experience. The Passion from the pro ac people here has in many cases crossed the line to foaming at the mouth rage. I personally think that is overboard, but their anger managment issues are their own problems.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
He's dead Jim.:cry:

leonard-mccoy-top-ten-tv-doctors-star-trek-daforrest-kelley.jpg

Master Gracey

As long as there is imagination left in the world and the building still stand, the Club can STILL come back. This could just be a facelift for the old girl. After all, the current look is not what it was in 1989.

307472_568136764241_203002623_31786232_2419894_n.jpg

No Master Yoda, the Club is not dead, just hybernating, the battle is far from over. It is time for a new round of letter writing.

Next Big Thing

I don't mean to sound overly optimistic here, but why does this at all signal the end of the AC? If anything, I actually think this is a signal that it's NOT going to be demo'd. I mean, just think to yourselves logically for a few seconds. Why would they waste their time removing that sign if they were just going to demo the building? I think it's just a refurb of the facade of the building, but that's just me. It certainly wouldn't be the first time the AC has seen a facade refurb.

menamechris

No Master Yoda, the Club is not dead, just hybernating, the battle is far from over. It is time for a new round of letter writing.

I have to be honest - if what has already been done has not made them bring it back - nothing will. I can honestly say that I have never seen a more passionate group of people rally around an attraction like this. Right down to anything that is mentioned about DTD on the official Disney blog - someone is asking about the return of AC. So either - management is beating their chest that they will not go back on their decision regardless of fan support - or there was actually a very good reason to shut it down....

Skipper Dan

Yeah, it's strange.

They concreted over the sign, and patched up a corner of that part of the building to the left. Why go to such a length? I am NOT saying the AC is returning, even if it did, there is no way it would return to that building, in that form. First off, for just one little thing, why would Disney want to spend thousands of dollars replacing all of those props? Good God! If the AC ever did return, look for something along the lines of a restaurant in Adventureland or something.

Anyway, all I'm sayin' is, they obviously aren't demolishing the building, or they just want to shut the die-hards up. I mean, why go through the trouble of concreting the sign and patching up that corner? When they could just bulldoze the thing? Either they plan on using it, or it's going to take a while to tear her down, so, like I said, they're just shuttin' up the die-hards. :shrug:

lazyboy97o

It's more like how long is going to take to demolish
Except that demolition would not require the efforts to be exerted, what was desired to be saved or removed would be taken and the rest left. As of right now it is hard to see demolition as the currently planned future as effort is being applied to the work.

Since the ac was so great, buy some land and build another one.
The Adventurer's Club constitutes intellectual property of The Walt Disney Company. Opening another would require the property to be licensed or purchased. There have been stories of third party interest in The Adventurer's Club that was shut down by Disney.

And you have described exactly what is wrong with some Disney fans. Disney is a for profit business. Revenue is the reason for everything. Hate it, love it, it is the truth. When you discuss the future and past of every decision they make, remember the motivation is to seperate money from your wallet..... No different from the grocery store, or any other business.
There are different means to accomplishing this goal. Disney used to be more about doing it in a grander fashion, now, in many fields, it is about doing the least possible. "Quality will out" is no longer the modus operandi.

Master Gracey

. . .like I said, they're just shuttin' up the die-hards. :shrug:

Oh believe me, if that is there intention, this will not achieve that goal in the least, especially with the Adventurers Club convention coming up next month! No, I'm pretty sure that there will be many more letters and e-mails appearing in executive offices in the coming weeks and months!

Also, as for
First off, for just one little thing, why would Disney want to spend thousands of dollars replacing all of those props? Good God!:

It wouldn't be as hard as you think. All the artifacts are still on WDW property in a warehouse. Anything Adventurers Club related that has appeared at any other resort has been made from scratch and not actuall from the Club itself. They simply would have to get the stuff out of storage and place them back on the walls!

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!​

Skipper Dan

Hey Gracey,

Please know that I ain't bein' pessimistic. I'm all about the AC... trust me. I never got to go there, and every day I wish that wasn't the case. I was 19 when they closed the club, and had no idea until after it's closure, that I coul've gone in with an adult.

But you'll have to take my word on it, I'm all about the Club, and I wanted to make that clear. :cool:

By the way, I think it's about time I post something. It's my gift to all of us Adventurers. Look for my thread! :)

Master Gracey

Hey 2020_C.E.O,

No problem man. I didn't think you were being pessimistic, though after re-reading my post I did see how my conversation style and attack style of writing could be missinterprited! What can I say, I'm slightly passionate about the Club. I can't wait to see what you're planning on posting!

Kungaloosh!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom