Project Z

juniorthomas

Apple tax on top of my vacation? No thanks. There was a member that was on the inside years ago that no longer posts here but said steve jobs had his hands in a lot of thechanges. I don't think that has stopped. It may have slowed but the kind of person he is doesn't let go of power to influence easily.

He's the single largest shareholder in the Walt Disney Company. If that doesn't allow you some pull, I don't know what will...

bhg469

He's the single largest shareholder in the Walt Disney Company. If that doesn't allow you some pull, I don't know what will...

that doesn't make it a good thing. He's not the type of person I want at Disne nor should anyone else that wants progress that doesn't revolve 100% around profit.

Thrill

that doesn't make it a good thing. He's not the type of person I want at Disne nor should anyone else that wants progress that doesn't revolve 100% around profit.

I'd say Steve Jobs is a reasonably innovative guy. Most of the time it comes at a premium, but Apple products are usually pretty high tech.

wizards8507

I'd say Steve Jobs is a reasonably innovative guy. Most of the time it comes at a premium, but Apple products are usually pretty high tech.

Not to mention that Apple generates the *cool* factor unlike any other company. If there's a slightly untapped market at WDW, it's most likely the teenager/young adult crowd, and Apple *could* have a positive influence in that direction.

*Disclaimer*
I'm 21 years old and personally hate Apple products, but that doesn't change the business facts.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I really think it would be more obvious if Steve Jobs had a major hand in Disney operations.

Like most large business tycoons, some people love him, some loathe him but people BUY the stuff that his company makes in droves.

Disclaimer: I own an iphone and a Mac, but only use the Mac for making iphone apps as it's too weird for me to do anything else with it

flavious27

As I asked earlier, what has steve been involved with besides with the disney store?

Ignohippo

It makes me hate steve jobs even more. I hope hes healthy but I hope he leaves everything he touches alone very soon.

What in the world are you talking about? Why, because everything he touches is generally insanely popular? It's funny how the debate between Apple and PC is almost more divisive than the debate between Democrat or Republican. It's funny, the people who seem to hate on Apple the most are generally the people who know the least about their products.

Why would you hate someone who innovates, runs a green company, and makes products people want? Is it because he has amazing success? If you don't like Apple, don't buy their products. The rest of us will continue to appreciate how much joy their products have brought to our lives.

Besides, Jobs has really been pretty hands off with Disney since being on the board. Iger was the one who put Lassetter and Catmull in charge of Disney Animation, not Jobs. And how dare he?! After all, Tangled and Princess and the Frog sure were a step down from everything else Disney Animation has produced over the last 15 years, weren't they? :brick:

Disney retail also asked for Apple's help re-designing their stores because Apple Stores are the most profitable stores in retail. Disney has worse problems than to be concerned with running as well or being as profitable as Apple. Last I heard, the object in business was to make money. The great thing about Apple is that the reason they're so successful is because they make amazing products.

What does all of this have to do with Project Z anyway? If it's because it may be a Pixar ride, Pixar IS Disney. Get used to it. When Disney becomes as relevant again as Pixar is now, I'm sure we'll get plenty of Disney properties turned into rides as well.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
What in the world are you talking about? Why, because everything he touches is generally insanely popular? It's funny how the debate between Apple and PC is almost more divisive than the debate between Democrat or Republican. It's funny, the people who seem to hate on Apple the most are generally the people who know the least about their products.

Why would you hate someone who innovates, runs a green company, and makes products people want? Is it because he has amazing success? If you don't like Apple, don't buy their products. The rest of us will continue to appreciate how much joy their products have brought to our lives.

Agreed. I guess I will just never understand some of the hate around here for Steve Jobs. In my opinion he is a true innovator and visionary.

Those complaining about Jobs caring about profits need to realize that without the huge profits, the progress you desire would not be possible. Companies like Apple give consumers what they want, and therefore, are successful. Apple sees that if they continue to invest in products that their customers want and view as superior that the people will buy them and they will continue to be successful. Imagine that.

I know the first argument against my statement will be that instead of spending on progress Disney just figures out more ways to save money, and there is definitely a lot of truth to that. However, that will only work for so long. We are already seeing Disney realizing this with expansions to DCA and Fantasyland. Perhaps if Disney had someone like Jobs at the helm, we would have seen a lot more a lot sooner.

misterID

I watched the Pixar Story documentary not too long ago and it actually made me really encouraged about WDW's future hearing from Jobs and Lasseter about the Disney parks.

having worked in apple retail I can honestly say that the kind of customer satisfaction that company is about would only help disney. Both companies actually run very similarly in that aspect. Their technology definitely has the cool factor, and in my experience 95% of the people who don't like their products haven't used them (I used to be the same way).

juniorthomas

His presence at Disney is no different from John Lasseter's presence at WDI. They both are incredibly smart people that bring with them a new way of thinking.

TWDC has such a political atmosphere at times, the collective insights that newcomers, specifically much heralded newcomers, can bring is oftentimes invaluable.

Sure you may not like Steve Jobs, but you have to admit that he and his teams have been nothing less than innovative. How can innovation be a bad thing at Disney?

cynic710

well let me say this..i think the notion of a tron coaster is a brilliant idea. the possibilities with the grid, light ribbons, and great music should give the imagineers an infinate array of choices as to how they layout the pre-show, the line and the ride itself. i know Disney can pull it off with the visuals and storyline, as well as the technology.

and why not MK? personally i feel that the newer attractions at the other parks should hold them over for a few years at least, and i think MK needed a little life put back into it. I understand the FLE is in progress but again, its fairies and pixie dust. dont get me wrong, i am absolutely excited for FLE but a tron coaster would be so out of the element of MK that it will be monumental.

i hope that i walk through a dark indoor grid with amazing lights edging the world, proceed to a room that readies us for an unfamiliar sport with some familiar actors portaying programs. then i hope to get on my lightcycle, aiming at an infinate dark path, suddenly daft punk inspiries me to have the need for speed. finally, a light ribbon chases my vessle and we proceed to challenge the other riders of a different light color in an all out battle.

EPIC:sohappy:

wizards8507

Why should we care where the progress comes from? Do you think Universal built Harry Potter for the aesthetic and artistic merit of it? Absolutely not. They did it because they knew it would blow the turnstiles down with paying customers.

On the contrary, I want management ENTIRELY thinking about profit. Do I disagree with certain of their decisions about how to increase profits? Sure. But the goal of "making money" is the entire point. If they want our money, then they need to give us something we're willing to pay for. Making a crap product is NOT equivalent to pursing profit. Disney is a premium product at a premium price, and if they want to increase demand for their product or raise prices, then they'll have to give us something worth paying for.

juniorthomas

Why should we care where the progress comes from? Do you think Universal built Harry Potter for the aesthetic and artistic merit of it? Absolutely not. They did it because they knew it would blow the turnstiles down with paying customers.

On the contrary, I want management ENTIRELY thinking about profit. Do I disagree with certain of their decisions about how to increase profits? Sure. But the goal of "making money" is the entire point. If they want our money, then they need to give us something we're willing to pay for. Making a crap product is NOT equivalent to pursing profit. Disney is a premium product at a premium price, and if they want to increase demand for their product or raise prices, then they'll have to give us something worth paying for.

Yeah, I'm still confused as to why anyone would be surprised that Disney is trying to make money off of their parks. They can't bring happy into the world if they can't afford the magic. (this was in response to the person Wizards responded to)

wizards8507

Yeah, I'm still confused as to why anyone would be surprised that Disney is trying to make money off of their parks. They can't bring happy into the world if they can't afford the magic. (this was in response to the person Wizards responded to)

I think the reasoning behind a lot of the never-sacrifice-the-show-to-make-a-buck crowd is due to the fact that this seemed to be Walt's personal philosophy. Unfortunately, those people fail to realize that without Roy and other financially-minded individuals around the company, Disney would have collapsed under its own weight like a dying star and gone bankrupt twenty years ago.

juniorthomas

I think the reasoning behind a lot of the never-sacrifice-the-show-to-make-a-buck crowd is due to the fact that this seemed to be Walt's personal philosophy. Unfortunately, those people fail to realize that without Roy and other financially-minded individuals around the company, Disney would have collapsed under its own weight like a dying star and gone bankrupt twenty years ago.

You are absolutely right. And its not as if Walt had a Universal outside of Disneyland that was trying to pry the public (not to mention employees, as well) away from his park. It's certainly a different world today...

Ignohippo

Brilliantly put. They need to spend money to make money. Unfortunately, it seems TDO is much more concerned with trying to save money. Time will tell if they're actually trying to save money so that they can pay for other things though. We'll see.

If Disney were run by Jobs, I'd bet you'd see a lot more of the WWoHP type attractions being produced by Disney and a much more efficient operation as a whole. Yes, park admission would go up, but WDW would truly be the very best at what it does once again.

_Scar

Brilliantly put. They need to spend money to make money. Unfortunately, it seems TDO is much more concerned with trying to save money. Time will tell if they're actually trying to save money so that they can pay for other things though. We'll see.

If Disney were run by Jobs, I'd bet you'd see a lot more of the WWoHP type attractions being produced by Disney and a much more efficient operation as a whole. Yes, park admission would go up, but WDW would truly be the very best at what it does once again.

Maybe.... but who's saying WDW isn't efficient?

Anywho, I doubt we'd be seeing "a lot" of e-tickets. Law of supply and demand seems to support WDW is doing fine without new attractions... there's enough things to do to please everyone and business men can see that.

Too bad the public knows WDC's reputation of being a cut above the rest and expect more, as the public should. :)

Ignohippo

You are absolutely right. And its not as if Walt had a Universal outside of Disneyland that was trying to pry the public (not to mention employees, as well) away from his park. It's certainly a different world today...

You're right, Uni wouldn't matter. Walt would be miles and miles ahead of them.

To me, Hollywood Studios is a perfect example. You could drastically expand that park and double the capacity. It could easily be WDW's second most popular gate. Add things like a mini-CarsLand, the MI coaster, an Incredibles attraction, a true ToonTown, a fully-realized Lucasland. All of these things are within Disney's ability to do but current management can't see past the initial investment to actually take that kind of jump.

_Scar

You're right, Uni wouldn't matter. Walt would be miles and miles ahead of them.

To me, Hollywood Studios is a perfect example. You could drastically expand that park and double the capacity. It could easily be WDW's second most popular gate. Add things like a mini-CarsLand, the MI coaster, an Incredibles attraction, a true ToonTown, a fully-realized Lucasland. All of these things are within Disney's ability to do but current management can't see past the initial investment to actually take that kind of jump.

DHS is not exactly the easiet park to expand if I had to guess. And putting all the money in at once is just spending money badly.

DHS is getting an updated E-ticket and (hopefully) another E-ticket with Monsters Inc 2 on the way... or maybe even a new Muppet Movie.

Epcot will also probably never lose its #2 title unless people forget how awesome it is :p kidding, but maybe it will lose its #2 title if it doesn't get another headliner within the next few years =/

Also, Disney's Animal Kingdom wants a slice of that funding pie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom