Project Z

WDWmazprty

Song of the South has never ever ever been released on video, yet Splash Mountain is (without too much argument) one of the top 3 attractions at WDW.

I have a video. Of course it was given to me from by a friend of mine who has some connections :sohappy:.

But you're right, it doesnt have to be associated with a more popular Disney film to be an E-Ticket.

djkidkaz

Song of the South is different because it has one of the most famous Disney songs ever in Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah and it has some great characters and story. TRON is not anywhere close to Song of the South in terms of Disney properties. Everyone you talk to about the original TRON says the same thing: "Well I just watched it for the special effects!"

I just don't see Disney building the next MK E-ticket on a movie that noone cares about and has a lame video game story.

twinnstar

I really think a Tron ride could live independently from the film. I think anyone who has seen it, regardless if they liked it or not, ALL agree that visually and musically it was STUNNING. so, as long as Disney can bring that aspect of it to a fun ride, who cares what its based on? Do you really think EVERYONE who goes to WDW/DL has seen every single film the rides are based on? Sure, us die hards have, but not the masses - they go cause they like the parks. My fiance loves WDW and he's seen like 2 Disney films haha (trust me, im trying to change that!)

Also, correct me if Im wrong, but I feel like in the recesses of my memories I remember once hearing about the TL Speedway turning into a Cars Speedway?? Did I make that up? :shrug:

Crazy Harry

Im sorry but if it has anything to do with TRON, call me completely dissappointed. That would not be earth shattering in the least. I just can't see that they would put in a movie that noone has really seen and has flopped twice. TRON is a cult movie that a handful of people like. Why would they make the next E-Ticket in MK something that barely anyone is familiar with? I just don't see this happening.

Lee's saying he doesn't want to say which land its in cause it would give it away which only makes me think that its TRON in tomorrowland, since had he said Adventureland noone would have a clue what it could be. My guess is TRON won't get greenlit for MK.

See, this is what I don't understand about people who don't like Tron. It would be sooooo simple to simply say "I personally don't like it and do not want an attraction about it". Instead they tend to make gross overgeneralizations about its popularity and take any opportunity to antagonize the franchise. They make statements that are NOT TRUE and only serve to reinforce their own personal beliefs.

I will only say so much because I feel like I've said the same things over, and over, and over again. Neither film has flopped, although neither performed up to arguably unrealistic expectations. The original Tron made twice its budget, and the newest has made 330 million world wide. It has actually done quite well for the genre, but the budget was too high. If the budget was lets say 100 million vs 170, there would be relatively no question about its success, but the effects may not have been as stunning or possible with a drop in budget.

Barley anyone familiar with Tron, are you serious? I will it admit it has not permiated the culture like Star Wars, but it is there. Do a search on pop culture references of Tron sometime. The whole reason we got the sequel was because of how well the DVD collectors edition of the original did. If there was no interest beyond a basic cult following, this would not have occured, and certainly you would not have been able to convince exec to greenlight a sequel of a 28 year old movie. And there would certainly not have been all of the video games that came after either (Tron 2.0 recieved critical acclaim).

Honestly, the Tron world is the perfect environment for an indoor e ticket. As people are exposed to the attraction and have their breath taken way by the environment, it will only increase the popularity of the franchise. Certainly, there will always be those who don't like it, and that is fine.

twinnstar

See, this is what I don't understand about people who don't like Tron. It would be sooooo simple to simply say "I personally don't like it and do not want an attraction about it". Instead they tend to make gross overgeneralizations about its popularity and take any opportunity to antagonize the franchise. They make statements that are NOT TRUE and only serve to reinforce their own personal beliefs.

I will only say so much because I feel like I've said the same things over, and over, and over again. Neither film has flopped, although neither performed up to arguably unrealistic expectations. The original Tron made twice its budget, and the newest has made 330 million world wide. It has actually done quite well for the genre, but the budget was too high. If the budget was lets say 100 million vs 170, there would be relatively no question about its success, but the effects may not have been as stunning or possible with a drop in budget.

Barley anyone familiar with Tron, are you serious? I will it admit it has not permiated the culture like Star Wars, but it is there. Do a search on pop culture references of Tron sometime. The whole reason we got the sequel was because of how well the DVD collectors edition of the original did. If there was no interest beyond a basic cult following, this would not have occured, and certainly you would not have been able to convince exec to greenlight a sequel of a 28 year old movie. And there would certainly not have been all of the video games that came after either (Tron 2.0 recieved critical acclaim).

Honestly, the Tron world is the perfect environment for an indoor e ticket. As people are exposed to the attraction and have their breath taken way by the environment, it will only increase the popularity of the franchise. Certainly, there will always be those who don't like it, and that is fine.

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sohappy:

NYwdwfan

I don't remember the first one and probably won't see the one that's out now - but I LOVE rides and couldn't give a rats rear what they're based on if they're a cool ride - and from what I know of the concept a ride based on it would probably rock!

imagineer boy

Well said. Some people really seem to have it out for Tron. What, did Tron kill their parents with his identity disc when they were little or somthing?

djkidkaz

Sorry but barely anyone has seen TRON and it IS just a small cult following. And they are greenlighting sequels to any and everything. But I guess your right, its not like they'd greenlight old stuff that people don't care about anymore. Well, Im off to go see the Yogi Bear movie! :wave:

orky8

I don't remember the first one and probably won't see the one that's out now - but I LOVE rides and couldn't give a rats rear what they're based on if they're a cool ride - and from what I know of the concept a ride based on it would probably rock!

Yeah, at first I was a little against this whole hypothetical Tron ride idea. I've not seen the first one, and will probably wait until the second comes out on blu ray/dvd to see it.

But then I thought about my favorite ride in all of Disney - Splash Mountain. I've never seen Song of the South, and wouldn't have thought it would make a good ride, but it did. If Disney takes Tron and makes a great ride -- well, then that's all that matters, even if I have no idea about the movie that is the inspiration for the ride.

NYwdwfan

Yeah, at first I was a little against this whole hypothetical Tron ride idea. I've not seen the first one, and will probably wait until the second comes out on blu ray/dvd to see it.

But then I thought about my favorite ride in all of Disney - Splash Mountain. I've never seen Song of the South, and wouldn't have thought it would make a good ride, but it did. If Disney takes Tron and makes a great ride -- well, then that's all that matters, even if I have no idea about the movie that is the inspiration for the ride.

Heck - my kids got all excited to ride the TRONorail and they have NO CLUE what Tron is!

Crazy Harry

Sorry but barely anyone has seen TRON and it IS just a small cult following. And they are greenlighting sequels to any and everything. But I guess your right, its not like they'd greenlight old stuff that people don't care about anymore. Well, Im off to go see the Yogi Bear movie! :wave:

Of course you failed to mention Transformers and Alvin and the Chipmunks which are both based on old yet popular franchises, and both did very well. Just because the movie buisness is hit or miss sometimes does not mean the movie execs just close their eyes and start swinging, their moves are calculated.

muse1983

I really don't feel like something has to have a massive following to translate into a amazing ride or attraction. You could know absolutely nothing about Tron but just by the look and feel of the genre, people would instantly be drawn to a ride based on it.

The biggest problem here is what type of ride are we talking about? I don't see Disney putting up the huge bucks for a Tron attraction so it definitely won't be a E-ticket attraction. The more I think about it the more I doubt that Tron has absolutely anything to do with Project Z. At best I see Disney giving Tron its own area in DisneyQuest or Innoventions and bringing in new VR to create an experience of being part of the grid.

I think I speak for a ton of people when I say that I can only dream that Project Z has something to do with Beastly Kingdom, a new E- Ticket for DHS or at least the World of Colors inspired show that has been rumored to be coming to Animal Kingdom for some time now.:veryconfu

Crazy Harry

I really don't feel like something has to have a massive following to translate into a amazing ride or attraction. You could know absolutely nothing about Tron but just by the look and feel of the genre, people would instantly be drawn to a ride based on it.

The biggest problem here is what type of ride are we talking about? I don't see Disney putting up the huge bucks for a Tron attraction so it definitely won't be a E-ticket attraction. The more I think about it the more I doubt that Tron has absolutely anything to do with Project Z. At best I see Disney giving Tron its own area in DisneyQuest or Innoventions and bringing in new VR to create an experience of being part of the grid.

I think I speak for a ton of people when I say that I can only dream that Project Z has something to do with Beastly Kingdom, a new E- Ticket for DHS or at least the World of Colors inspired show that has been rumored to be coming to Animal Kingdom for some time now.:veryconfu

Project Z is for Magic Kingdom and either Adventureland or Tomorrowland.

splashtest

It seems like a lot of attention is being paid to the Magic Kingdom while Hollywood studios is in major need of an overhaul. Awhile back I read about a Monsters Inc. inspired coaster from the door chase scene - has that been scrapped? Are they any plans to make that park more interesting?

Agreed. HS needs much TLC. It is a bit better around the holidays when they have the Osbourne Lights, but it has turned into a half day park. Thank God Star Tours is almost open again. Lights, Motor Action is a snooze fest. Indy needs to be replaced....we need something new for Sounds Dangerous as well. Hopefully they will get some much needed help....and soon!!!

muse1983

Agreed. HS needs much TLC. It is a bit better around the holidays when they have the Osbourne Lights, but it has turned into a half day park. Thank God Star Tours is almost open again. Lights, Motor Action is a snooze fest. Indy needs to be replaced....we need something new for Sounds Dangerous as well. Hopefully they will get some much needed help....and soon!!!

I have to disagree about Indy being replaced, I personally hope that it never leaves. If anything they need to add a few fresh new scenes but definitely not scrap it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom