Project Z

ChrisM

Sorry but barely anyone has seen TRON and it IS just a small cult following. And they are greenlighting sequels to any and everything. But I guess your right, its not like they'd greenlight old stuff that people don't care about anymore. Well, Im off to go see the Yogi Bear movie! :wave:

Tron had a pretty large cultural impact on the kids of my generation (I'm now mid-30's), especially in regards to the ground breaking special effects and the very, very popular arcade and video games.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of WDW park-goers are not immersed in Disney-mania and don't necessarily care a rat's whiff about Mickey Mouse or any of the new or old "animated classics".

For my part, I never saw any of the Disney animated films (except for Fantasia) until the last few years as my 4 year old daughter has brought them into my life. Yet, I've been a huge fan of the Disney theme parks since I was myself 4 years old.

Point being: the basis of an attraction, franchise or not, means very, very little to the average patron. It's the quality of the attraction that matters.

ChrisM

Agreed. HS needs much TLC. It is a bit better around the holidays when they have the Osbourne Lights, but it has turned into a half day park. Thank God Star Tours is almost open again. Lights, Motor Action is a snooze fest. Indy needs to be replaced....we need something new for Sounds Dangerous as well. Hopefully they will get some much needed help....and soon!!!

HS needs some sort of "Carsland" style expansion, either a good chunk of what's going into DCA or, at the very least, Radiator Springs Racers. Add in the Monsters, Inc coaster, some other minor attraction, and a Star Wars Cantina, and it would be in great shape.

ToTBellHop

Tron had a pretty large cultural impact on the kids of my generation (I'm now mid-30's), especially in regards to the ground breaking special effects and the very, very popular arcade and video games.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of WDW park-goers are not immersed in Disney-mania and don't necessarily care a rat's whiff about Mickey Mouse or any of the new or old "animated classics".

For my part, I never saw any of the Disney animated films (except for Fantasia) until the last few years as my 4 year old daughter has brought them into my life. Yet, I've been a huge fan of the Disney theme parks since I was myself 4 years old.

Point being: the basis of an attraction, franchise or not, means very, very little to the average patron. It's the quality of the attraction that matters.
I agree with that. Great attractions with broad appeal are timeless, regardless of story. Song of the South, in my opinion, is a crappy movie. But Splash Mountain is timeless.

KCheatle

I think HS needs some more diversity. There are 3 things there my daughter, who's 5, likes: the Toy Story Ride, The Little Mermaid show and Playhouse Disney Live on Stage - everything else is too adult. Even the Beauty and the Beast show is practically a full out theatrical experience - which 5 year olds are not too fond of. I know Disney World is not limited to entertaining children, but if my husband and I didn't like the Tower of Terror so much, we wouldn't go to HS at all. It's a boring park. They need some rides for kids in there along with the Rockin Rollercoaster and TT. They also need to cut back on the crazy amount of merchandise shops there. :brick:

ChrisM

I think HS needs some more diversity. There are 3 things there my daughter, who's 5, likes: the Toy Story Ride, The Little Mermaid show and Playhouse Disney Live on Stage - everything else is too adult. Even the Beauty and the Beast show is practically a full out theatrical experience - which 5 year olds are not too fond of. I know Disney World is not limited to entertaining children, but if my husband and I didn't like the Tower of Terror so much, we wouldn't go to HS at all. It's a boring park. They need some rides for kids in there along with the Rockin Rollercoaster and TT. They also need to cut back on the crazy amount of merchandise shops there. :brick:

The sheer amount of shops really annoys me. Hey, look, I just dropped $60 a head (or whatever) in order to get the "privilege" to shop.

twinnstar

You know, I dont think its that there arent enough kiddie rides, or are too many rides for adults, i think its that there arent many rides for families. It skews one way or the other, for the most part. I think thats make makes MK and Epcot so great, generally everyone can ride everything. At HS you're either too big or too little :/

baymenxpac

Im sorry but if it has anything to do with TRON, call me completely dissappointed. That would not be earth shattering in the least. I just can't see that they would put in a movie that noone has really seen and has flopped twice. TRON is a cult movie that a handful of people like. Why would they make the next E-Ticket in MK something that barely anyone is familiar with? I just don't see this happening.

My hope is that it would be in Adventureland since they will most likely be removing the Aladdin spinner once duel dumbos open. Also, putting a new E-ticket right next to Space Mountain wouldn't make the most sense. It would just completely clog up Tomorrowland. Its better to spread out the E-tickets to spread out the crowds. I like that Skull Mountain concept and think that another flume ride woul be great as it would alleviate some of the crowds over at Splash Mountain on all those hot Florida days. The only problem is then you have maybe too much pirate related stuff. Theres more to adventure than just pirates.

Lee's saying he doesn't want to say which land its in cause it would give it away which only makes me think that its TRON in tomorrowland, since had he said Adventureland noone would have a clue what it could be. My guess is TRON won't get greenlit for MK.

while i don't completely agree with your assessment of the tron franchise, i do agree that an e-ticket in tomorrowland would seem to be curiously placed. the park's flow would seemingly benefit from something in adventureland.

one other quick question (and i believe this still is the case), but doesn't frontierland not open for extra magic hours? essentially leaving space mountain to bear most of the burden of the early morning-goer e-ticket flow? if that still is the case, you would think an e-ticket in adventureland would split the traffic to seperate sides of the park. sort of like what toy story mania has now done for DHS and taken the flow slightly off of rock and roller coaster and TOT.

for me, i like tron, don't love it. but i'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. i'll take any e-ticket i can get. i would love to see something original for adventureland. but if it's tron, i'll be fairly satisfied.

lownalo

Project Z? I'm surprised no one figured it out. Z= Zurg. They are adding a Zurg themed looping rollercoaster/water ride in adventure land. Nailed it.

zooey

I would love a Tron attraction at WDW, but doesn't it seem like it would fit in HS far better than MK? An E-Ticket would be very welcome at that park as well. I think Tron as an attraction would work best if the story (the visual story) starts in reality, the recognizable world, via Flynn's Arcade. The queue could then be walking through the rows of old arcade games while 80s style music plays, as well as music and sound effects from the arcade machines themselves. This introduction then lends to a natural pre-show where the guests become "scanned" into the grid world (by accident or purposefully). With scanning and "Tronization" having taken place, the actual attraction is all set to be experienced in the world of Tron. This attraction would then have a real world to fantasy and back again progression.
Now, if a Tron attraction were to go into Tomorrowland, they are starting the story on the Grid itself, which doesn't really make any sense. The world of Tron then would be existing along with the world of Tomorrowland. They can work around this I'm sure, but it doesn't feel natural to the property.
I think it would work much better at the end of studios, near or on the Lights Motor Action Area.

RSoxNo1

You assume it's someone in TDO who is giving Lee his information. I have no idea if it is or it is not. You further assume that TDO knows (or has a likely suspicion) of whom within TDO is revealing information to Lee. Again, I have no idea if that is or is not accurate.

They know who Al Lutz and Jim Hill is too. But that doesn't mean they know who is feeding them information. Although, in Hill's case, I don't think it would be too hard for anyone with knowledge of the ins and outs of WDI to figure it out.

I'm willing to bet Disney knows what sources each of these people have in their company. There's a reason why the leaks have been cut down dramatically recently.

I really think a Tron ride could live independently from the film. I think anyone who has seen it, regardless if they liked it or not, ALL agree that visually and musically it was STUNNING. so, as long as Disney can bring that aspect of it to a fun ride, who cares what its based on? Do you really think EVERYONE who goes to WDW/DL has seen every single film the rides are based on? Sure, us die hards have, but not the masses - they go cause they like the parks. My fiance loves WDW and he's seen like 2 Disney films haha (trust me, im trying to change that!)

Also, correct me if Im wrong, but I feel like in the recesses of my memories I remember once hearing about the TL Speedway turning into a Cars Speedway?? Did I make that up? :shrug:

Everyone has heard the Splash Mountain argument for theming. From strictly a theming standpoint, the popularity of the franchise is irrelevnt when producing a quality attraction. Case in point, Tron lends itself to a themed environment for a theme park. It could make a great ride.

A while ago Iger said they wouldn't build an attraction if the movie wasn't a franchise. This has to do with the merchandise aspect of building an attraction. Decisions are made based on how quickly Disney can get a return on their investment, and merchandise helps offset the cost of a new attraction.

It took a while for it to happen, but Star Tours is representative of this as well - it's no secret that Star Wars merchandise sells pretty well, and it's likely to sell even better after guests just experienced 1 of 54 new adventures.

Tigger1988

Song of the South has never ever ever been released on video

This is just one of many examples of SotS video releases...

palbeta.jpg

Sigmundooze

We need to start asking clue type statements:

Imagineer Colonel Mustard did it in Adventureland with the Candlestick (to Iago).

Lee can you please look in the confindential envelope............ :ROFLOL:

puntagordabob

what would stop them from filling in a portion of Seven Seas Lagoon and making a waterfront area with an attraction located right on the shores of the lake?

TinkerBelle8878

My issue with the Tron this is like the line from Mean Girls "stop trying to make fetch happen! It's not going to happen!." It seems like they're trying to make it into something it isn't and shove it down all our throats, if this is what Project Z is.

The difference between Tron and Song of the South is cute little woodland creatures. Kids think they're cute, adults think they're cute, they sell merchandise and little plush dolls...Tron doesn't seem like it would.

There is so much that needs to be fixed before they should even embark on throwing Tron in that its like the TDO has lost its collective minds. WoL, JII, a movie for the Magic Eye, DHS, all these things need to be done before adding something like that into the MK. MK is getting FLE. Move onto another park and fix that before adding more.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
My issue with the Tron this is like the line from Mean Girls "stop trying to make fetch happen! It's not going to happen!." It seems like they're trying to make it into something it isn't and shove it down all our throats, if this is what Project Z is.

The difference between Tron and Song of the South is cute little woodland creatures. Kids think they're cute, adults think they're cute, they sell merchandise and little plush dolls...Tron doesn't seem like it would.

There is so much that needs to be fixed before they should even embark on throwing Tron in that its like the TDO has lost its collective minds. WoL, JII, a movie for the Magic Eye, DHS, all these things need to be done before adding something like that into the MK. MK is getting FLE. Move onto another park and fix that before adding more.

It sounds like you just don't like Tron and don't want anyone else to enjoy it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom