Project Z

cheezbat

While it COULD be a Tron attraction, a Tron attraction was initially being considered for Disneyland FIRST. If it ain't happening there beforehand, don't expect that at the Magic Kingdom.

My guess is it still could be something in either Tomorrowland OR Adventureland, but I'm still leaning more towards AL.

NYwdwfan

This is just one of many examples of SotS video releases...

palbeta.jpg

Is that really for Betamax? That's pretty sweet. I love that it has a preview of Robin Hood.

Heck - my kids got all excited to ride the TRONorail and they have NO CLUE what Tron is!

Funny you said that, I thought the same thing about my kids! As we leave the parks our last day they sing a long chain of goodbyes to the things they love; this time they added in "Bye TRONorail", which cracked me right up.

Whatever it is, I somehow doubt it's going to suck. And, as long as it's not Mission: Space-like, I am sure I'll ride it and probably enjoy it!

Looking forward to hearing about what is getting a facelift. I had so hoped it was the Tiki Room. Still hoping that report of the order of the new Iago wasn't true....

Thanks you super awesome insiders. You have made my otherwise lame Friday night!

RSoxNo1

The difference between Tron and Song of the South is cute little racist woodland creatures. Kids think they're cute, adults think they're cute, they sell merchandise and little plush dolls...Tron doesn't seem like it would.

I fixed it for you.

I think the argument now should no longer be, "Did we like the movie? If not, there's no way we could like an attraction based on the movie."

The argument we should be concerned with is, "Does the movie lend itself to a theme park attraction?" For Tron that's a definite yes. For those people that aren't fans of the Harry Potter books and movies, they should at least recognize that the franchise lends itself to a theme park attraction as well.

The theme of an attraction does not make a substantial difference in determining the quality of an attraction. Think of your top 5 favorite attractions at Disney World that have a franchise attached to them. Are they your top 5 favorite franchises as well?

Take a look at some of my favorite attractions in Central Florida (in no particular order):
  • Tower of Terror - if I've seen an episode of the show I don't remember it. It's still an awesome attraction.
  • Splash Mountain - I've loved Splash Mountain since I rode it 16 times on my first vacation while it was open. I didn't wind up seeing Song of the South until a few years ago and was indifferent towards it.
  • Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey - I read the books and saw all the movies so that I wouldn't be lost in Potter World. I enjoyed them, and this would probably be the franchise that I enjoyed the most of any on this list.
  • The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman - I never read a comic book, I was indifferent towards the movies (although I think I saw all 3). The ride is amazing.
  • Revenge of the Mummy - Incredibly themed Dark Ride components, my favorite Brendan Frasier movie is The Scout, I don't recall ever seeing The Mummy
  • Jungle Cruise - I've never seen the African Queen.
  • Toy Story Mania/Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - I really like the Toy Story Movies, so that probably helps with my enjoyment of these two attractions. However, I think Men in Black Alien is a better attraction than BLSRS and I didn't enjoy the Men in Black series as much as the Toy Story Series.
  • Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges - I never really watched Popeye cartoons, but I do like Spinach Dip.

I could go on, but hopefully my point has been made. I wasn't thrilled with the story in Tron, but if Disney wants to make an attraction based on the movie(s) I can certainly see the possibilities.

NoChesterHester

It seems to me that Magic Kingdom is getting the love because it is the cash cow. It is the most heavily visited theme park in the world, meaning that improvements can have the biggest overall imact on the bottom line. For example, if you sell an extra plush at $20 to 10% of patrons because of a new experience those numbers look a lot bigger when your park gets 17 million people visiting.

Although Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios need the most help, they don't turn the figures the MK does. I don't know if each park is responsible to cover the cost of a new attraction. If so, it would take AKa lot longer to justify the capital than MK or Epcot.

I am just spitballing here. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It seems to me that Magic Kingdom is getting the love because it is the cash cow. It is the most heavily visited theme park in the world, meaning that improvements can have the biggest overall imact on the bottom line. For example, if you sell an extra plush at $20 to 10% of patrons because of a new experience those numbers look a lot bigger when your park gets 17 million people visiting.

Although Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios need the most help, they don't turn the figures the MK does. I don't know if each park is responsible to cover the cost of a new attraction. If so, it would take AKa lot longer to justify the capital than MK or Epcot.

It's also getting help because they need to increase capacity. They have no 20K Leagues, no more Skyway, etc. to eat up the crowds

Bender!

If that is the case (I don't know if it is), then who's fault is it for not investing in the other parks in the first place? You have to give a little to get a little back, you know. :shrug:

TinkerBelle8878

I fixed it for you.

Actually you didn't need to fix this for me. The point I was trying to make is Splash Mountain, even if you've never seen Song of the South, which many people haven't, has cute Disney creatures. They sell merchandise. Just like all the Pixar suddenly infused into the parks. The Living Seas for example probably never moved much merchandise before the Nemo overlay. Now I'm sure its a great deal more profitable.

That's not to say that I like the idea of that but from a marketing perspective, that's where it seems that TDO is going. Where can they merchandise the most? I don't get the appeal of Tron. Its not something I would voluntarily go and spend money on watching or buying merchandise from. I'm not saying everyone would feel the same way. Just that it seems to be a very niche specific choice. One that may not sustain itself.

I mean nothing has been confirmed but its basically assumed that its Tron. I'm not trying to start any arguments or flame wars here. I'm simply just not getting the mass appeal of it. I'm probably not the only one scratching their head at this.

disnyfan89

Actually you didn't need to fix this for me. The point I was trying to make is Splash Mountain, even if you've never seen Song of the South, which many people haven't, has cute Disney creatures. They sell merchandise. Just like all the Pixar suddenly infused into the parks. The Living Seas for example probably never moved much merchandise before the Nemo overlay. Now I'm sure its a great deal more profitable.

That's not to say that I like the idea of that but from a marketing perspective, that's where it seems that TDO is going. Where can they merchandise the most? I don't get the appeal of Tron. Its not something I would voluntarily go and spend money on watching or buying merchandise from. I'm not saying everyone would feel the same way. Just that it seems to be a very niche specific choice. One that may not sustain itself.

I mean nothing has been confirmed but its basically assumed that its Tron. I'm not trying to start any arguments or flame wars here. I'm simply just not getting the mass appeal of it. I'm probably not the only one scratching their head at this.
Actually Tron: Legacy has proven to be very profitable in terms of merchandise with everything from Kids toys, electronics and books to name brand/designer clothing, accessories, and custom vinylmations. It's probably the reason more sequels are on their way.

It's no surprise merch is selling well either. Parents who grew up watching tron and playing the arcade game are now the ones who in turn are buying their kids the merch and movie tickets. Tron plays on nostalgia just like star wars. Kids get into it cause their parents like it and share it with them.

_Scar

Am I the only one who thinks a plush Mickey dressed in a Tron outfit would sell like mad? I know I would have to have one.

I don't lol

Now... a plush of Pascal would sell out... as it has already online lol :p

And when I see Project Z I think "what happened to project Y?" and "why are we at the end of the alphabet, it sounds so sinister" :ROFLOL:

inluvwithbeast

I don't lol

Now... a plush of Pascal would sell out... as it has already online lol :p

And when I see Project Z I think "what happened to project Y?" and "why are we at the end of the alphabet, it sounds so sinister" :ROFLOL:

Project Y was SGE, as in Y did we even build this?

disneyfan6

grizzly trail?!?!!

I would like to see grizzly trail be built in frontierland after all the fantasyland expansion is done! the frontierland is WDW is small..but were is the needed space in the park for that

MotherOfBirds

I'd still like to see AL get some love. With the exception of POTC and JC, it seems like just some place to walk through to get to Splash Mountain (this is just what I see from out of state guests).

SeaCastle

Spirit of '74 over on Laughing Place is indicating that the Project Z is indeed a Tron attraction, though it's not definite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom