Progress at Everest!

wizards8507

In order to close down EE for any extended period of time, Animal Kingdom would have to have another headliner to counteract the surge of humanity that would hit Kilimanjaro Safari. Since this obviously won't be happening any time soon, I think we're stuck with Disco Yeti.

hokielutz

In order to close down EE for any extended period of time, Animal Kingdom would have to have another headliner to counteract the surge of humanity that would hit Kilimanjaro Safari. Since this obviously won't be happening any time soon, I think we're stuck with Disco Yeti.

On the flip side, is that the surge of humanity may move one of the other three parks, or go up the road to Sea World or Univ.

Then big $$ would have to be spent on a campaign to say the Yeti is back and better than ever so guests come back to Animal Kingdom. Or open something new as the hook to bring people back.

wizards8507

On the flip side, is that the surge of humanity may move one of the other three parks, or go up the road to Sea World or Univ.

Then big $$ would have to be spent on a campaign to say the Yeti is back and better than ever so guests come back to Animal Kingdom. Or open something new as the hook to bring people back.

...something new like Beastly Kingdomme, perhaps?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

BrerFrog

...something new like Beastly Kingdomme, perhaps?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

No problem, you are only human. That is the main problem with closing EE in order to fix the Yeti for good. As great as I think AK is, if you remove EE from the picture the park will fail to draw crowds.

Silentkink

Sure it is! It's a great coaster with special effects, switchbacks, and awesome theming.

My wife and I have never seen the Yeti move, and only ACTUALLY saw him one time on our Honeymoon a few years ago. Since then, he's either been in the dark or went unnoticed since he wasn't moving.

But it didn't ruin our experience. For 90% of the day guests - the ones who aren't here on the internet forums - are completely satisfied that they either saw the Yeti in his shadow format, or they finish the ride and think, "Oh man, I never found him. We gotta ride it again to find that elusive Yeti," as if it's a game to see if you can find him.

Shutting the ride down to fix it would be disastrous to the rest of the park and queues. We just have to be patient, and we need to quit assuming that "TDO doesn't know it's broken! We must continue to tell them!"
I agree with you 100% the ride in my opinion is just as fun without the Yeti. I have rode EE a bunch of times with the Yeti working and sure it was great fun seeing him move an everything, but I have also seen him not moving at all, but I still found the ride to be great fun and enjoyable to everyone even if you have seen the Yeti in "A" mode.

Mr. Morrow

I agree with you 100% the ride in my opinion is just as fun without the Yeti. I have rode EE a bunch of times with the Yeti working and sure it was great fun seeing him move an everything, but I have also seen him not moving at all, but I still found the ride to be great fun and enjoyable to everyone even if you have seen the Yeti in "A" mode.

Without the Yeti it is just a Coaster with no story, that ist not a Disney attraction. There is no point to the ride it would be like removing all of the pirates from POTC.

EpcotServo

Without the Yeti it is just a Coaster with no story, that ist not a Disney attraction. There is no point to the ride it would be like removing all of the pirates from POTC.

the Yeti not working doesn't remove the story. It lessons the excitement of a major plot point, sure, but the story stays the same...

EpcotServo

So what is the story you are taking a nice train ride the track mysteriously breaks for no reason and then you go in reverse.

What? There's the yeti's roar and footprints at Broken Trestle. Shadow of the Yeti still works fine. The last finale is busted, but that doesn't make the entire go story away. It's not like because you don't see it at the end you forget about the entire thing.
:lol:

Story is still the same. You're on your way through the Forbidden Mountain pass on your way to Mt. Everest, and reach an impass and begin to see evidence of the strange creature you've learned about. We rush backwards where we encounter the yeti attacking the tracks again, and begin our high-speed descent to flee from the creature. The final plot point is meeting the Yeti in another even closer encounter, but that final plot point missing doesn't make the house of story cards go tumbling down.

It's terrible, and as an obsessive Expedition Everest fan it makes me no less mad, but the argument it takes away the entire story is pretty reaching. It lessens the impact of the story, but it isn't a story killer.

Silentkink

So what is the story you are taking a nice train ride the track mysteriously breaks for no reason and then you go in reverse.
When you are waiting in line for this ride it tells the story and you see the video clip of the Yeti destroying the tracks so you know why the tracks have been destroyed. Also you still see the Yeti and he still screams, but he doesn't swing his arm. Big deal it doesn't make a difference the ride is still fun and it still tells a story, but this is just my opinion and you have yours and we disagree so just let it go because as much as we both want it to go back to "A" mode we both know it won't for awhile.

SleepingMonk

This is just pathetic.

WDW CAN fix it.

They CHOOSE not to.

Blame the budget, blame management, blame crowd levels, the fact is WDW is perfectly happy settling for less.

Once the best, now just good enough to get by.

:(

Mr. Morrow

What? There's the yeti's roar and footprints at Broken Trestle. Shadow of the Yeti still works fine. The last finale is busted, but that doesn't make the entire go story away. It's not like because you don't see it at the end you forget about the entire thing.

Story is still the same. You're on your way through the Forbidden Mountain pass on your way to Mt. Everest, and reach an impass and begin to see evidence of the strange creature you've learned about. We rush backwards where we encounter the yeti attacking the tracks again, and begin our high-speed descent to flee from the creature. The final plot point is meeting the Yeti in another even closer encounter, but that final plot point missing doesn't make the house of story cards go tumbling down.

It's terrible, and as an obsessive Expedition Everest fan it makes me no less mad, but the argument it takes away the entire story is pretty reaching. It lessens the impact of the story, but it isn't a story killer.

The climax the best part of the story and it is gone, that is a killer to me. It is like taking the "Luke I am your father" scene out of Empire Strikes Back, or the whole boat sinking thing out of Titanic.

EpcotServo

The climax the best part of the story and it is gone, that is a killer to me. It is like taking the "Luke I am your father" scene out of Empire Strikes Back, or the whole boat sinking thing out of Titanic.

Exactly my point. Taking that line out of Empire Strikes Back IS a major killer, but that doesn't make the rest of the story vanish. It's like the edited preview copy of Empire Strikes Back that actually had those lines cut out. Same scene, not as good or climatic.

Mr. Morrow

Exactly my point. Taking that line out of Empire Strikes Back IS a major killer, but that doesn't make the rest of the story vanish. It's like the edited preview copy of Empire Strikes Back that actually had those lines cut out. Same scene, not as good or climatic.

Meh I get what you are saying but I won't ride till it is fixed one less person in line for you guys.

Tom

Beta Return
This is just pathetic.

WDW CAN fix it.

They CHOOSE not to.

Blame the budget, blame management, blame crowd levels, the fact is WDW is perfectly happy settling for less.

Once the best, now just good enough to get by.

:(

I went on and on about this in one of the other many threads about the broken Yeti, but I'll hit the high points again.

Yes, the Yeti is broken, and to those of us on the outside, it "appears" that they're not doing anything about it, and that they haven't for 3 years.

However, everyone needs to consider what has likely taken place in that time. First, they designed the ride and built it. Fate had decided that this problem would appear before it was even built. Nobody on here knows for sure, but the problem is EITHER a design flaw, or a construction flaw.

So, as soon as someone noticed a cracking foundation or flexing beam, they hit the big red PANIC button to stop the Yeti, not knowing how bad it was. Then came the giant investigation process, which is like trying to start a freight train from a dead stop. Nothing happens overnight when it comes to investigating a design/construction failure.

There was probably a lot of finger pointing initially - between WDI and the actual design/engineering firms. WDI accusing the engineers of not designing foundations and steel that could hold their Yeti...and the engineers accusing WDI of designing a Yeti that didn't meet the original specs provided.

Either way, a big legal mess. All the while, nobody was actively looking at a solution because "He's still there and guests can see him. It'll do for now."

The actual investigation of a structure that is only unoccupied at night is hard to do, and could honestly take several months (or years, obviously). When it comes to a possible structural failure, you flat out don't jump to conclusions and just start band-aiding things together. It requires forensic investigations to test for stress fractures, hidden cracks, weak spots in the steel (from top to bottom) and anything else that could have been damaged over time from the perpetual forces exerted by the Yeti's movement.

It's going to be expensive. Depending on how much damage has been done, the repair bill could be in the millions. That could mean it will be in court for years to decide whose fault it is before anyone foots the bill.

In summary, all of us die-hards are upset with the lack of an A-Mode Yeti and their apparent lack of dedication toward fixing it. But having been involved with very similar problems in "normal" buildings, I really believe that they've been working on a solution for quite a while, and that when it IS fixed, it will be done right. The fact that they actually took him out of service a few weeks ago is promising.

Tom

Beta Return
And my point is they've been saying that for years on this and many other attractions that need attention.

Even after any investigation, budget meeting, redesign, refurb etc....they'll keep saying that too.

I would put EE's repair in a different category than the rest of the projects they're putting off. New/Refurb work is one department - and we'd all agree that they're a little behind the 8-Ball on that.

Fixing a possibly catastrophic structural failure is another department, and another budget (i.e. insurance and/or lawsuit money). If I were in Disney's shoes on this one, I wouldn't spend a penny until I knew that A) the fix was going to work; and B) I knew who would be reimbursing me, with an up-front check.

RSoxNo1

We had Jim Hill on our show this week and we talked about this briefly. While none of this should be too surprising here's what he had to say.

The rig was under engineered. To fix it, would require roughly 6 months of downtown for the attraction.

It may be possible for the Yeti to be built using lighter parts but the reality is, until something is built to offset the closure of Expedition Everest, it's not likely to close.

Since nothing significant has been greenlit for that park, and because nothing seems even remotely close, we are probably several years away from having a fully functioning yeti. Unless of course they decide to take the hit and close the attraction for 6 months.

In park complaints from guests has been minimal, so perhaps if we all start complaining at guest relations they may decide to take action. However, considering the number of people that are likely to read this, and then the percentage of those people that will take the time to go to guest relations compared to the number of people that visit the park on any given day - I'm guessing that won't really make much of a difference.

Disney knows it's bad show, but it's the same type of thing that causes them to not put the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay on Haunted Mansion. "Vacations will be ruined".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom