Progress at Everest!

jakeman

So, does the Sentinel have any influence on Disney? Not directly, of course, but is there any evidence that anything printed in the Sentinel actually leads to any sort of change?

I'm envisioning a "what happened to the Yeti?" article, that will tell locals everything they already know, with a couple of quotes like "xyz from the WDWMagic site says that fans have been up in arms about this for years, and call it bad show". Disney will refuse to comment, or say something like "guests have told us that Expedition Everest is one of the most thrilling parts of their day at the Animal Kingdom".

And then everyone will return to their places and nothing will change.

At least, that's what I suspect, but I'd like to know if the Sentinel actually has any impact at all.
The Sentinel itself? Probably very little.

I think it depends if the passholder public in central Florida that would get the Sentinel is as jaded regarding their anti-Disney slant as the online fan community.

The article can be received two ways:

1. It's the usual Orlando Sentinel trash piece about Disney. It's blown out of proportion so let's ignore it.

2. Or...Hey, I noticed that myself. It's a real shame that Disney is allow the yeti to remain in B mode.

If the fans (us) are lucky and the reaction is #2, then we have to hope for some mobilization from the non-internet fan base stepping up their pressure on Disney.

It could sway Disney into doing something, but several factors have to fall right into place.

Lee

Adventurer
Doesn't appear to be anything yet. Probably won't be until early next week. :shrug:
I heard from Jason yesterday. He was finishing up the story and indicated it was likely to run over the weekend.

So, does the Sentinel have any influence on Disney? Not directly, of course, but is there any evidence that anything printed in the Sentinel actually leads to any sort of change?
Who knows?:shrug:
My only real hope for the article is that it draws attention to the problems with the Yeti (and Everest in general) as well as how it seems to illustrate the changing way that Disney looks at it's attractions and show quality. The whole notion of something being "good enough" rather than being as good as it can be.

If nothing else, maybe he can get them to go on the record about what is wrong with the Yeti and what they plan to do about it.

The Sentinel itself? Probably very little.

I think it depends if the passholder public in central Florida that would get the Sentinel is as jaded regarding their anti-Disney slant as the online fan community.

The article can be received two ways:

1. It's the usual Orlando Sentinel trash piece about Disney. It's blown out of proportion so let's ignore it.

2. Or...Hey, I noticed that myself. It's a real shame that Disney is allow the yeti to remain in B mode.

If the fans (us) are lucky and the reaction is #2, then we have to hope for some mobilization from the non-internet fan base stepping up their pressure on Disney.

It could sway Disney into doing something, but several factors have to fall right into place.
The only way they can fix the yeti is if they close the whole attraction down for an extensive refurb. Problem is AK doesnt have enough attractions to do this, meaning there would be serious capacity issues.

jakeman

The only way they can fix the yeti is if they close the whole attraction down for an extensive refurb. Problem is AK doesnt have enough attractions to do this, meaning there would be serious capacity issues.
I understand that.

My post was in regards to the influence the Sentinel has in general, not this specific case.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I heard from Jason yesterday. He was finishing up the story and indicated it was likely to run over the weekend.

My only real hope for the article is that it draws attention to the problems with the Yeti (and Everest in general) as well as how it seems to illustrate the changing way that Disney looks at it's attractions and show quality. The whole notion of something being "good enough" rather than being as good as it can be.

If nothing else, maybe he can get them to go on the record about what is wrong with the Yeti and what they plan to do about it.
I think that is a best case scenario for this article.

MKCP 1985

put the curtain back up and dress up a cast member in a monkey suit and let him paw at the coaster trains until the big guy can be fixed.

how hard can this be? :lol:

IWant2GoNow

First part = Awesome

Bolded part = Exactly what I hope out of it.

hokielutz

First part = Awesome

Bolded part = Exactly what I hope out of it.

And whatever happens with the article... I'll make sure it gets on Facebook and to other friends and fans that I know.

Hopefully the article will inspire more locals to call and inquire about the Yeti.

hokielutz

There are enough attractions to handle this fix for a temporary period of time. Disney's Park Ops just needs to swallow the horse pill and GET ON WITH IT!!

CaptainWinter

Article is now online.

"Disney fans dismayed with Disco Yeti"

No major revelations, just confirms it's a "stress issue."

Frustrating article. Walt Disney himself put quality above everything else and was strapped for cash most of his life, even decades after the success of Snow White, since he compulsively reinvested the money he made in his ever-evolving projects. I wish TDO would show a little more of that spirit.

Lee

Adventurer
I think this is an amazing quote:
“We purposely took measures in 2008 to reduce unnecessary stress and preserve many of its functions while we studied possible long-term solutions.

“At this point,” she added, “we’re still considering those options.”
2008. It's been in total B mode since 2008, but the problem goes back to 2007.
Two (three) years and they still haven't finished "considering those options."
:rolleyes:

Buried20KLeague

I'm happy with the article. I think Jason got all the main points, and most importantly, someone other than us talked about it. Disney had to comment... I like that, even if they didn't say much.

I'm hoping that some exec is drinking his morning coffee and reading an e-mail I'm sure he was sent this AM with a link to the article.

:drevil:

I think this needs its own thread so it gets more visability. I'll create one.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

I guess it isnt #1 priority or high on their scale of importance.

MKCP 1985

Well, there IS a management philosophy that when faced with a difficult decision, sometimes making no decision will allow the problem to take care of itself. :lookaroun

Since that didn't work here, time to get going with a plan, Disney. :lol:

Interesting comments to the online article. I hope Disney does read them and that enough people say a working Yeti is important enough to convince Disney to fix it.

RSoxNo1

It probably would have been better off to not mention the numbers in the Facebook group or online petition. If the numbers were in the thousands it would have been far more impressive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom