Progress at Everest!

Cosmic Commando

Those are neat ideas for the "yeti on the loose" scenario, but it doesn't really fit into the story. The yeti is not a caged animal there for our enjoyment; he's already loose in the story of the ride. We always see him in the ride because he's scaring us away from the mountain that he protects. If he decided to leave his post and roam around the park, then all of us outsiders in our tea trains would be free to spoil his mountain.

djkidkaz

Those are neat ideas for the "yeti on the loose" scenario, but it doesn't really fit into the story. The yeti is not a caged animal there for our enjoyment; he's already loose in the story of the ride. We always see him in the ride because he's scaring us away from the mountain that he protects. If he decided to leave his post and roam around the park, then all of us outsiders in our tea trains would be free to spoil his mountain.

Great point!

EpcotFanForever

Yeah, Disney did a great job of promoting all of that info before and while Everest opened. It doesn't mean much now that we have a static AA in the mountain!

I can almost hear the PR spiel now....

"From the scientific minds of Disney Imagineering, we bring you the revolutionary concept of AudioStaticMatronics. Walt Disney was the father of animatronics, but that is so 60s. It's a technology that's now half a century old, and in the same spirit we bring you StaticMatronics. While Animatronics insulted the viewer by actually moving the character in synchronization with sound, we take you to the next level with our amazing new technology. Now, with wind and flashing lights, we can tap into your imagination so you can see movement where there is none. The roar of the Yeti makes you think he is alive, and you can almost smell the fear that ripples down your spine. We've been working hard to bring this new technology to characters such as the Carnotaurus and Hopper. Now we top it off with the biggest StaticMatronic of them all, the Yeti. Don't miss out this summer. Visit Disney Animal Kingdom and feel the fear!"

Biff215

"From the scientific minds of Disney Imagineering, we bring you the revolutionary concept of AudioStaticMatronics. Walt Disney was the father of animatronics, but that is so 60s. It's a technology that's now half a century old, and in the same spirit we bring you StaticMatronics. While Animatronics insulted the viewer by actually moving the character in synchronization with sound, we take you to the next level with our amazing new technology. Now, with wind and flashing lights, we can tap into your imagination so you can see movement where there is none. The roar of the Yeti makes you think he is alive, and you can almost smell the fear that ripples down your spine. We've been working hard to bring this new technology to characters such as the Carnotaurus and Hopper. Now we top it off with the biggest StaticMatronic of them all, the Yeti. Don't miss out this summer. Visit Disney Animal Kingdom and feel the fear!"

Too funny and sadly almost sounds like Disney could say it...I always thought the "more thrust than a 747" was a strange comparison, but now it just annoys me as most 747's fly all over the world day in and day out and our Yeti can no longer move his arm back and forth!

EpcotFanForever

Too funny and sadly almost sounds like Disney could say it...I always thought the "more thrust than a 747" was a strange comparison, but now it just annoys me as most 747's fly all over the world day in and day out and our Yeti can no longer move his arm back and forth!

We've progressed from more thrust than a 747 to more static than the Statue of Liberty.

BrerFrog

We do?:shrug:
I don't.

That is exactly what I was going to ask.

:ROFLOL:

The Yeti is obsolete technology, therefore Disney refuses to operate it. :p

Tigerace81

I didnt think I would have to explain that. If its generating that much force such as a 747 its obvious there is a large potential to have excess forces on the structure.

Was I the only one thinking about this?

bferrara16

Well seeing as the massive scale of the Yeti on the attraction doesn't really offer much credence to an actual meet and greet. I think something cooler would be finding destruction around the park. They could setup areas where trees have been knocked down and items thrown at buildings (a la Typhoon Lagoon) and really play into the "Yeti on the Loose, leaving destruction in his wake" idea. They could have caution tape around the damaged areas and have some "Yeti tracking/investigation" signs up around it to bring attention to it. They could do meet and greets with Sherpa's and Explorer's who are tracking the Yeti as opposed to the yeti itself. They could create a whole story around it and incorporate it into the whole park and it wouldn't require much more than bringing a crane into the park and creating some temporary "staged" damage to areas of the park.:D

This was exactly what I was thinking when I posted my idea. I didn't even know about the old Stitch campaign, but it sounds like it was pretty cool (even if the little guy is overplayed now).

Even though he's not a caged animal, I can still see it working. Like you said, he protects a mountain and always seems to be there... maybe he's angry that everyone is in the park where his mountain resides and wants to scare everyone away? Just a thought. (And credit to you for knowing the actual exact backstory of the ride, but if the majority of people are barely aware of his existence, I'm sure those other details can be overlooked...)

Either way, its not like its going to happen, but its fun to imagine.

Cosmic Commando

The yeti realizes he hasn't had much success catching us while zooming by on train, so he mixes it up and comes to get us while we're sitting down to eat at Yak & Yeti! :)

EpcotFanForever

I didnt think I would have to explain that. If its generating that much force such as a 747 its obvious there is a large potential to have excess forces on the structure.

Was I the only one thinking about this?

Well, "generating as much force as a 747" is one of those bogus statistics that Disney dreams-up. It sounds impressive, but once you think about it, it's not all that it seems. After all, look at the wings of an airplane - do they crack when the engines roar?

The force of the 747 engines is about 100 tons, and this is an 100 ton crane
Truck-Crane-Payload-100-Ton-QY100K-.jpg

How often do you see cranes break? And would it sound as impressive if Disney said "exerts as much force as a 100-ton crane?"

The bottom line is that the Yeti (which is one-of-a-kind) was not designed properly for the fatigue loads it encountered. It happens, and it can be fixed with sufficient funding.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Ah yes! A finale just like how it was when the Universe of Energy pavilion wasn't finished and the snake thingie was fighting a rock! :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom