Progress at Everest!

WendyTinkerbell

Maybe they took the tarp down just for the Everest Challenge thing this weekend. Perhaps they will put the tarp back up and continue work on him this week.

JustInTime

At an event for pin traders two or three years ago, Disney had this guy on hand (photos courtesy of ZapperZ):

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

I've always thought it was a shame they never brought him back for things like the Everest Challenge or other special events.

]

I always loved that. I am obsessed with the Yeti. They should bring that back for sure.

belle_1022

This is my favorite attraction at WDW. I would like to see it back to 100% working condition. I rode it prior to the official opening and LOVED IT! 7 times in a row. DH sat out the last 6 rides. Would love to meet the tall woolly version shown in these pictures. We named our first born - our 3 year old cat Yeti! He lives up to the name for sure.

scoobygirl39541

Its good to hear that they are doing something about that broken Yeti. I remember first riding EE the summer it opened. Riding now is not the same. :( I would love to see it in full mode again. I really hope its working by my trip in December.

zweltar

I just thought of something - couldn't they spin fixing the Yeti into a positive, limited-time event? They could market it with something like "The Yeti's Loose!" and make it a big deal. Maybe they could have like a walkaround Yeti character (get the Chewbacca guy from SWW) running around the park or make it into some sort of adventure or game a la KimPossible (have you seen the Yeti?!?). They could fit him in somewhere on Kali River to add some new excitement to that ride. If they really wanted to get him out of the mountain and fix it, they could completely acknowledge his absence and make it fun. Just sayin'.

This sounds kind of cool. However, I would be afraid of TDO turning another "temporary" situation into a much more permanent event (reference the wand). I picture the managers thinking that a Yeti meet and greet would be much more popular than the silly animatronic on the ride.:shrug:

rodserling27

I've never been to Disney World but my Fave Disneyland Rides are
Pirates of The Caribbean, Splash Mountain, and Indianna Jones.
Wonderful, get outta here troll.:fork:

I love the idea of having the Yeti "on the loose." He could spring up in other rides, in random Character Meet & Greets. I can foresee if working out pretty well. It's depressing to think that I've only seen him working in full A-mode glory ONCE.

Vernonpush

Wonderful, get outta here troll.:fork:

I love the idea of having the Yeti "on the loose." He could spring up in other rides, in random Character Meet & Greets. I can foresee if working out pretty well. It's depressing to think that I've only seen him working in full A-mode glory ONCE.

Sounds like what they tried to do with Stitch!:eek:

PurpleDragon

Well seeing as the massive scale of the Yeti on the attraction doesn't really offer much credence to an actual meet and greet. I think something cooler would be finding destruction around the park. They could setup areas where trees have been knocked down and items thrown at buildings (a la Typhoon Lagoon) and really play into the "Yeti on the Loose, leaving destruction in his wake" idea. They could have caution tape around the damaged areas and have some "Yeti tracking/investigation" signs up around it to bring attention to it. They could do meet and greets with Sherpa's and Explorer's who are tracking the Yeti as opposed to the yeti itself. They could create a whole story around it and incorporate it into the whole park and it wouldn't require much more than bringing a crane into the park and creating some temporary "staged" damage to areas of the park.:D

Sloan

yeti on the loose

Yes, it (the 'on the loose theme') does sound like what they tried to do with Stitch, but while I'm no big fan of Stitch, that was actually a pretty cool idea & campaign - I recall seeing a very well done 'crash scene' in DTD, where it appeared a Disney van had been trashed and crashed by Stitch, and it looked great and generated a lot of interest. PurpleDragon's suggestions are just what they were doing with that effort, and where it was well executed, it was cool. This is the kind of 'solution' to this problem that could use the Disney creativity to make the best out of a really bad situation.

PurpleDragon

Yes, it (the 'on the loose theme') does sound like what they tried to do with Stitch, but while I'm no big fan of Stitch, that was actually a pretty cool idea & campaign - I recall seeing a very well done 'crash scene' in DTD, where it appeared a Disney van had been trashed and crashed by Stitch, and it looked great and generated a lot of interest. PurpleDragon's suggestions are just what they were doing with that effort, and where it was well executed, it was cool. This is the kind of 'solution' to this problem that could use the Disney creativity to make the best out of a really bad situation.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the stitch promotion. Probably selective memory! :hammer:

But yes they have proven they can successfully execute this concept, so increasing the scale of damage for a larger beast and having it limited to AK would be all it takes to really make it all work.

Tigerace81

Found this interesting when I was looking for something on the Tree of Life:

Yeti, Guardian of the Mountain . . . The mammoth-sized Audio-Animatronics yeti in the Expedition Everest attraction at Disney’s Animal Kingdom has a potential thrust, in all of its hydraulic cylinders combined, of slightly over 259,000 pounds force – potentially more instantaneous power than a 747-400 airliner.

I stumbled across a fun fact web page on the corporate Disney website.

Its got a ton of facts: http://corporate.disney.go.com/media/news/Fact_WDW_Fun_Facts_08_06.pdf

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom