Progress at Everest!

Lee

Adventurer
Yeah. The work space is very conveniently located to the show space.
As I understand it, the Yeti and his system are installed in such a way that he can be just...sort of....pulled out of the scene into a work area.

Others know more about the inner workings of the mountain, so I will defer to them for more specifics.

aklodge

So, my question is... why do some say that fully fixing him will require a complete shutdown of the ride for months if they can work on him in the work space? Unless the structural damage far exceeds the actual damage to the animatronic figure itself...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
That is interesting.

Also I rode Everest today and it was pitch black in the yeti scene, which actually looks a lot better than seeing statue yeti, because you still hear the roar of the yeti and the rest is left to the imagination.

That or im just excited about what ever the outcome of what the yeti refurb is

Which can be a very effective tool. (see Alien Encounter)

Tigerace81

So, my question is... why do some say that fully fixing him will require a complete shutdown of the ride for months if they can work on him in the work space? Unless the structural damage far exceeds the actual damage to the animatronic figure itself...

Because, then the ride can get a "refresh". I dont think you understand how much work has to go into roller coasters each year to keep the ride smooth and problem free. Most parks get to close for 6 months in the winter and spring and they usually take rides and coasters apart to work on them. At AK, you cant keep EE closed that long because its pretty much one of the three main rides. Plus they could be wanting to add new effects in or improve the ride experience.

Missing20K

Because, then the ride can get a "refresh". I dont think you understand how much work has to go into roller coasters each year to keep the ride smooth and problem free. Most parks get to close for 6 months in the winter and spring and they usually take rides and coasters apart to work on them. At AK, you cant keep EE closed that long because its pretty much one of the three main rides. Plus they could be wanting to add new effects in or improve the ride experience.

I would like them to continue focusing on existing effects that are unused, broken, etc. on numerous rides, before they think about adding new ones.

Tom

Beta Return
Source says that the wall was only up so that they could take measurements on him. =( Hope that was only partly true.

They should have every inch of the building and Yeti detailed in their construction documents. And they can take measurements after hours if they need to.

He's got to be covered for more extensive work/investigation.

disneysroyal411

They should have every inch of the building and Yeti detailed in their construction documents. And they can take measurements after hours if they need to.

Yes this is very true. Well, whatever they did to him hope it all leads up to a big fix! Is anyone there or going soon to give us his status? I want to know if the room is still dark.

wvugeoggrad

I was there on Sunday and fully prepared myself to see a dark room but to my surprise there was the Yeti but sadly still in B Mode....:shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

While I would agree you know as well as I do that dimensions of the plans do not always make it to the final product. I know that if I was working on a project as high profile as the yeti I would want to put a tape on it before I started cutting metal. There is also a good chance that some disassembly was required to do so and that it would take too long to do on third shift.

Tom

Beta Return
While I would agree you know as well as I do that dimensions of the plans do not always make it to the final product. I know that if I was working on a project as high profile as the yeti I would want to put a tape on it before I started cutting metal. There is also a good chance that some disassembly was required to do so and that it would take too long to do on third shift.

Of course, the "as builts" won't be perfect, but I disclaimed that by saying they could take measurements after hours without putting up a tarp.

But since there was a tarp, your assumption is probably correct that they had to take him apart a bit.

Buried20KLeague

Maybe you should have been in charge of building him in the first place!!

:lol:

Exprcoofto

As mentioned, the tarp is down at Everest. The CMs were told that it was only up for measurements, but as already said, they should have all the measurements.

Also, I sent in a typed up, hand signed letter to WDW Guest Communications several weeks ago. Then a couple of days ago I saw "Hollywood Studios" on my caller ID. Sure enough, it was someone calling about my letter. He said that they are taking note of my complaints and that "they" will be looking at/working on the Yeti over the next 4 to 5 months.

mcjaco

I was there on Sunday and fully prepared myself to see a dark room but to my surprise there was the Yeti but sadly still in B Mode....:shrug:

I heard the same from two friends that did the Expedition Everest Challenge. Still in B Mode, and doesn't look like he's been touched.

allgar

I can confirm this... I rode EE early Saturday morning on the 12th (during the EMH morning). In fact, I rode it twice. I saw the Yeti both times, it's very dark, there's a slight strobe lighting effect, and by no means is he in proper working order. My wife actually missed him the first time through (I figured she had her eyes closed) and I had to point him out the next time through and she saw him.

Now I know that there are many doubting Thomas' out there, choose to believe or not, no matter to me, but on Sunday morning the Yeti was no longer covered by a tarp.

As a note, he was covered completely on Tuesday the 8th when I rode EE.

My two cents... as someone who does not get to Disney more than once a year I can honestly say how disappointing it was to have NO Yeti at all when we rode it on the Tuesday. I was excited to see him on Sunday and it really does improve the ride, even when he is in "B" mode. My wife was so excited by it that she screamed and giggled with delight when she saw him our second time through. That's proof enough for me that a little bit of Yeti is better than none at all.

I'm not magnanimous enough to say I'm willing to give up the Yeti experience on my trip, though I do understand it needs to be fixed. I guess it's a classic Catch-22. Disney is damned if they do fix it, and damned if they don't.

janoimagine

Disney is damned if they do fix it, and damned if they don't.

While I agree with your quote, the other side is that Disney has long needed other e-ticket (or even d-ticket) attractions for Animal Kingdom that would allow for an extended re-furb of an attraction like Expedition Everest.

disneysroyal411

It's a good thing EE is a fun ride without the Yeti or I wouldn't ride it. Does anyone agree that Disney needs more rides in WDW like EE? I mean like one or two. And then more dark rides, but less meet'n'greets.:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom