Prices for the Polynesian DVC Bungalows

ParentsOf4

The intention was to mimic the 60s decor that's prominent in the resort. I think they did an excellent job of it complete with uncomfortable furniture and odd shapes. :)
The post-war mid-century era that is the style of the redo is exactly what they were going for.
Having actually lived with much of this type of furniture during the 1960s, I can assure you that most people thought it was ugly and uncomfortable back then and, to me, it looks just as ugly and uncomfortable half a century later. :D

It's kind of like these coming back in style:

6354328271_a7c8f87d52_z.jpg

betty rose

Consider the source.
I shall pose a question for all of you that think it's stupid to pay the prices because bora bora is less expensive.

If pricing was flipped and renting a bungalow at Disney was half the price as renting one in bora bora, would the bora bora goers all be stupid wealthy rubes who are just flaunting their wealth? Would you be harolding they greed of the bora bora bungalow developers?
Not when it's over the ocean.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Having actually lived with much of this type of furniture during the 1960s, I can assure you that most people thought it was ugly and uncomfortable back then and, to me, it looks just as ugly and uncomfortable half a century later. :D

It's kind of like these coming back in style:

View attachment 79082

Shudder - some things belong in the past like these and elizabethan collar ruff's for men...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Interesting one, but it only would work if you got the same level of service at both - I haven't been to Bora Bora but if the quality of service, decor and water was the same as Bay Lake, then yes they would be crazy.

I can't believe I've just spent a good chunk of my Saturday arguing about 1970's Pizza-Hut themed bungalows. I need to get a life.
Me too:)

This is why I said the comparison to rooms in Bora Bora is Apples to Oranges. Bora Bora is a completely different experience frequented by a different demographic. When you go to a beach front resort (or one actually over the water) like in Bora Bora you are paying for a top quality resort with spa and tons of amenities in a tropical location. You are there to stay at the resort. If you built a clone of the Poly in Bora Bora nobody would want to stay there. Bora Bora is a thousand miles from anything and will cost a small fortune to get to (not to mention the flight time). Location matters. If you could pick up Bora Bora and move the entire island chain off the coast of Long Island (including the clear water and tropical weather) those over water bungalows would be renting for $5,000 to $10,000 a night. The only reason they aren't now is because they are in the middle of nowhere and there are limited customers willing and able to travel that far. Poly doesn't have the clear water or the 5 star amenities, but it's next to a big tourist draw. Whether a tropical island or a theme park is a better vacation is really a seperate debate.

I think a better comparison would be comparing these bungalows to the top of the line rooms at Universal or even elsewhere in Orlando. They are probably still very much overpriced, but no more so than the rest of WDW.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I think too many people believe that the mega rich just hap hazardly throw their money around. Most wealthy people are the cheapest you will meet and they will be the first to tell you that they didnt get wealthy by spending. Thats not to say they wouldnt spend the money on these bungalows for the kids sake, but their also not going to just plop the money down without consideration. I know several clients I have for work who live in $500K-$1M homes and they still use services like Groupon and PriceLine. Getting a rich person to part with their money can more difficult than you think. Ill never forget what one man told me. He said, "the wealthier you get, the more greedy you get"

note2001

I think too many people believe that the mega rich just hap hazardly throw their money around. Most wealthy people are the cheapest you will meet and they will be the first to tell you that they didnt get wealthy by spending. Thats not to say they wouldnt spend the money on these bungalows for the kids sake, but their also not going to just plop the money down without consideration. I know several clients I have for work who live in $500K-$1M homes and they still use services like Groupon and PriceLine. Getting a rich person to part with their money can more difficult than you think. Ill never forget what one man told me. He said, "the wealthier you get, the more greedy you get"

...And the more cynical you get simply because people see you in terms of dollar signs verses as a person. I still have a hard time believing "Rich" folk and celebrities will rent out these units. They're just far too visible without any sense of security from the public eye.

The folk reserving the bungalows will be of the mindset that Disney is a special vacation and they're splurging. They'll be ordinary people with ordinary bank accounts, but who have put aside $20K for that once in a lifetime trip... and you know what... if they've earned it and it makes them happy, GOOD FOR THEM! :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Very true. It's been my experience that wealthy people are no different than anyone else. Put their pants on one leg at a time, etc, etc... The Paris Hilton types who are throwing around daddy's money may appear to spend without restriction, but they are the exception. Most people who earned their money have a hard time parting with it unless they get value. Doesn't matter if you make $8/hr or $8M a year.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's a $105,000 car, how is that not Nissans 1% product?

You don't understand what 1%er means

A 911 turbo costs far more... Yet is not what we are talking about. Think exclusive, think excess, think custom. When you start with coach built cars, obscene finishes, etc then you are in the right area code.

The hysterical irony in your post is that when the gtr was being planned they almost released it as an infinity because they were concerned that people wouldn't pay 70k for a Nissan badged car

Disneyhead'71

I shall pose a question for all of you that think it's stupid to pay the prices because bora bora is less expensive.

If pricing was flipped and renting a bungalow at Disney was half the price as renting one in bora bora, would the bora bora goers all be stupid wealthy rubes who are just flaunting their wealth? Would you be harolding they greed of the bora bora bungalow developers?
No, because Le Meridien Bora Bora is a true luxury resort in a true exotic location. The Poly Bungalows are pretend luxury accommodations in a pretend exotic location.

This is a "world" where the counterfeit costs more than the original. $1,200 for an actual Renoir vs. $2,300 for the fake Mickey "Renoir". Just because people will buy it doesn't mean that it's Art.

Unfortunately, the bungalows below don't have an MK view. What a shame.

pic_default.jpg

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
No, because Le Meridien Bora Bora is a true luxury resort in a true exotic location. The Poly Bungalows are pretend luxury accommodations in a pretend exotic location.

This is a "world" where the counterfeit costs more than the original. $1,200 for an actual Renoir vs. $2,300 for the fake Mickey "Renoir". Just because people will buy it doesn't mean that it's Art.

Unfortunately, the bungalows below don't have an MK view. What a shame.

pic_default.jpg
image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom