Prices for the Polynesian DVC Bungalows

Disneyhead'71

This and the knee jerk reaction that the only reason Disney built them was out of pure unadulterated greed with no consideration that Disney was likely filling a void in its own market.
Fascinating analysis. Ruining the Magic Kingdom views from the beach for EVERYONE (else) at the Poly to exploit a handful of delusional uber-fans seems to be the definition of senseless rampant greed.

I am at a loss as to why repeat visitors are still going to WDW at all, much less at the insane prices. You literally have to pay me to go to WDW these days. I'll be at EPCOT tomorrow.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Fascinating analysis. Ruining the Magic Kingdom views from the beach for EVERYONE (else) at the Poly to exploit a handful of delusional uber-fans seems to be the definition of senseless rampant greed.
Everyone? Maybe I missed something. Am I supposed to go look at the MK from the Poly beach? Been to WDW countless times and have never had the urge to go stand on the Poly beach and gaze upon the MK. Was this a special ticketed event?

Fe Maiden

Everyone? Maybe I missed something. Am I supposed to go look at the MK from the Poly beach? Been to WDW countless times and have never had the urge to go stand on the Poly beach and gaze upon the MK. Was this a special ticketed event?

Here's a little known tip. If you stand further to the right, you can get the same view AND the MK gets closer. It's unbelievable.

Figment2005

Not disagreeing with you by any means. It is Nissans 1% product and it IS a nice car. I love TOp Gear as well and LOVED the episode where Jeremy drove it through Asia (japan I think). Nissan has one car though that could be considered 1% while other companies ONLY make 1% cars. Thats all I was saying, wasnt trying to spark anything.
No worries, just making sure my comment was being kept in context.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

I am at a loss as to why repeat visitors are still going to WDW at all, much less at the insane prices. You literally have to pay me to go to WDW these days. I'll be at EPCOT tomorrow.
I agree because it feels the current caretakers in Orlando have seriously lost their minds but we still visit because of the small things that they have yet to tamper with. We have the luxury of having visited dozens of times so its not so much about riding rides for us, its more about just being there together and enjoying the atmosphere. Our trips honestly focus more around finding new snacks or menu items we havent tried yet.

What really bothers me is the insane prices. Seems like every trip we have to look for new ways to save a buck because the cost has gone up. People should not have to do that. Im all for Disney making a buck, but do they not realize how many people bring their own snacks, water, food, etc. Sure, people pay the high price in the parks so you cant blame em, but that doesnt make it right. Its the way the world is today and its very sad indeed. Greed rules, and these new bungalows are perfect example of it, regardless of the fact they will be booked year round. Like you and @marni1971 said, they have taken the beach views away from the masses for the benefit of the few people in the bungalows. Shame.

wendysue

If there were like hundreds of these I would be surprised at the price but with only 20 they will have no problem selling them at whatever price they want. Of all the hundreds of thousands of DVC members i'm sure 20 families a night will pay it. Plus there's always celebrities and stuff that want the fanciest accommodations and don't care about the price, high power executives/politicians, etc.

I agree, but these aren't even that fancy. Very nice, yes, but if that's what you get for 2,100 bucks a night, how sad. Are they going to have their own restaurant/lounge out there? How far do you have to walk to get to your car or the bus?
I'm sure you are right that they will have no problem selling them because there is no shortage of shallow folk out there who just want to say "We are staying in the Bora Bora section"...Geez

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Where is this documented?
I was just speaking from my own experience in dealing with well off people. I dont have any documented evidence to back it up but I deal with wealthy people a lot for work and from what Ive seen they tend to either buy it all or nothing. Ive had countless rich folks tell me they would NEVER lease a car or buy a time share. Thats just my small bubble of reality, the larger picture could be much different. I did not intend to seem like I know it for fact.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I was just speaking from my own experience in dealing with well off people. I dont have any documented evidence to back it up but I deal with wealthy people a lot for work and from what Ive seen they tend to either buy it all or nothing. Ive had countless rich folks tell me they would NEVER lease a car or buy a time share. Thats just my small bubble of reality, the larger picture could be much different. I did not intend to seem like I know it for fact.
Ah. Ok.

Ariel1986

I posted some of this in another thread but because people keep arguing it:

All of this "for half the price you could get this and stay in the real bora bora etc. etc..." Is like saying why would you stay in The Venetian or Paris hotels in Vegas when in the REAL Venice and Paris you can stay in an authentic Venetian or Parisian hotel for a cheaper price and have a MUCH better experience!
Well... I'm pretty sure those people in those hotels in Vegas are staying there and paying the prices available to them because... they wanted to go to Vegas. And they simply chose a hotel in Vegas that they liked the look of and they chose to spend their money on.

Just like the people in Disney are choosing to go... to Disney. And to stay in Disney. And are simply choosing a hotel they like the look of theme wise and to their chosen price point.

I can't imagine anyone who has booked to stay at the Poly did so because "Oh hey, why go to Hawaii when for 4 x the price I can stay in a Disney hotel themed to Hawaii!". I'm guessing they were looking to book a holiday... In Disney World. And then chose a hotel they liked the theme of.

Oh and I also have experience with rich people, and guess what, there isn't just one type. I know those who pay for the most expensive things for the sake of it, those who just pay whatever the price happens to be when they happen to go places or buy things, and those who do still look for the value of things and wouldn't dream of spending money like that even though they could afford to. Because... rich people... are people. And people are different and have different values, beliefs and tastes, whatever their income.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I agree, but these aren't even that fancy. Very nice, yes, but if that's what you get for 2,100 bucks a night, how sad. Are they going to have their own restaurant/lounge out there? How far do you have to walk to get to your car or the bus?
I'm sure you are right that they will have no problem selling them because there is no shortage of shallow folk out there who just want to say "We are staying in the Bora Bora section"...Geez
Once again we enter into the "I wouldn't spend that amout of money on these so anyone that would is stupid, has no taste, or is using this as some form of status symbol" portion of the thread.

raven

I think too many people believe that the mega rich just hap hazardly throw their money around. Most wealthy people are the cheapest you will meet...Ill never forget what one man told me. He said, "the wealthier you get, the more greedy you get"

Ain't that the truth? Look at Donald Trump. He's stated over and over again that he hasn't paid for a meal in years because he always get's it on the house. Restaurants should be thrilled to have him there and they always pay for him, he says.

As for the "level of service" theory...we will have to wait and see. But a housekeeper is a housekeeper, guest service is guest service. Their wages don't increase according to what resort they work at. Management and expectations? Sure. Sadly though, not wages.

The design of these bungalows infact were inspired by Bora Bora and Tahiti and other places around the South Pacific. They were built to offer tranquility and solitude. With boat whistles, ferry boat horns and occasional personal water crafts zooming by, I don't think WDW will have the same going for them in that scence.

SnarkyMonkey

I have a feeling Nobody cares...

It was a joke. Is there a reason you are so serious about this?

To be clear for those who lack the humour gene: I have not been to Bora Bora and no, I am not really a bungalow dweller.

I honestly agree with you on this. It seems as though the thread here thinks that only fabulously wealthy people would ever have enough money to think about spending it on one of these places. I think these will be snapped up in a heartbeat by a much wider demographic than folks are talking about.

I think there will be lots of different types of people who will stay there. As I said, I believe they will be occupied all the time. I do think this will include very wealthy Disney fans who wouldn't shake a stick at spending this kind of cash. There are people who spend this money for dinner. It's just not s big deal to some...super wealthy or not...to lay down cash for this expense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom