Prices for the Polynesian DVC Bungalows

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Orlando has no shortage of properties with great views of swamps, I mean lakes. I bet you could find a 4 bedroom home with luxury amenities, with a view over water and it's own pool, for not much more than the lifetime ownership cost of a Polypizza-Hut.
Would they have a MK view?

BrerJon

1.There is NO WAY to market the bungalows as they have always done with DVC in the past. As expensive as it's been, they've made it seem possible when broken up into monthly payments. However, forget monthly payments for the purchase price. To try and sell someone 1 week a year with a monthly maintenance fee of $500 (at the very least) is going to be impossible.

2.Anyone that has this kind of money, why would they be interested in making such a crazy "investment"? If you're uber-rich, you don't need to worry about having a contract to stay in a place like that. You just pay cash. That's to say nothing of the fact that the bungalows don't even come close to what people that are used to spending that much money on hotels expect to get service and amenity wise.

The marketing will be the ferries going by, seeing the guests waving from the bungalows and those rich enough saying 'how do I get a piece of that'. If they're aiming for people for whom money is no object, it won't matter if they're a terrible investment, people will get them just to get one up on their rivals.

squidward

The marketing will be the ferries going by, seeing the guests waving from the bungalows and those rich enough saying 'how do I get a piece of that'. If they're aiming for people for whom money is no object, it won't matter if they're a terrible investment, people will get them just to get one up on their rivals.

Rethinking it, I don't think they'll have to market them. As you said, it's basically a way for the super wealthy to show off. They'll spend the money just based on that.

jakeman

But no-one ever went to Penny's for fun. WDW is a place you visit because of the happy times it gives you, so when it no longer makes you happy it's fair to ask why.
Fine. Chucky Cheese. You're cheering on a glorified Chucky Cheese.

OK, try an experiential analogy. You live in a nice house, you love it there, but while you're on vacation the neighbours you let use it have trashed the place, dirtied the walls, broken the windows. It's not the same as it was when you return. Do you a) accept the damage as just changing times, b) hope that the repairmen will fix things up good as new and get them back to how they were or c) move house.

Those calling out WDW management are doing the second option - they remember WDW when it was amazing, reasonable value, want things to get better so they can experience those good times again.
No they aren't.

Disney isn't your house. You don't live there. You shouldn't have the same emotional or financial investment you have in your house to a theme park.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It's an honest question though. A lake is not the draw here. My grandparents owned a house on a lake. Sitting at the table looking over the water was nice, but it was in no means like looking over the water at the Magic Kingdom.
For those that enjoy WDW and can afford one of these places will find it nicer than looking over a random body of water in the orlando area.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Roll eyes all you want. My point is most people use the following thought process when choosing vacationing at Disney:

• I'm going to Disney.
  • How much do I want to spend.
  • Where do I want to stay and how long.
They don't use the following process:

• I want to stay in a bungalow over swamp water.
  • Oh Disney has one.
  • It's too expensive.
The primary purpose for most people for going to Disney is what entertainment experience Disney provides. Lodging generally is a secondary part of the decision process so that if someone with the means to afford these bungalows wants to stay in them, they will.

jakeman

And Disney isn't your business, you don't own it, so you shouldn't have any interest in appearing online to defend their bad decisions.
Please find my quote where I've supported this decisions.

I'll wait.

EDIT: Pointing out the ridiculousness of the amount of frothing rage in this thread isn't the same as supporting Disney.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Rethinking it, I don't think they'll have to market them. As you said, it's basically a way for the super wealthy to show off. They'll spend the money just based on that.
This comment shows that you simply hold the wealthy in contempt. Most wealthy people are not Hollywood pop culture wanna be TMZ fodder. Most blend in with the rest of the crowd.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Yeah but I was responding to the poster who was denying it was a bad investment because you can't get the view anywhere else.
We are talking about objective opinions though. No one is ever making any money off of DVC. They are not investments. Is it a bad investment for you? Yes. For me? Yes. For someone else who have different opinions and financials? Not at all.

Is an MK view in a poly-themed bungalo on the water worth $1000? Not to me. But my opinion is not the arbiter of all the world's opinions.

I think first class seats on airplanes are outrageously priced. Does that mean everyone who uses one is wrong, or an idiot? Nope. It just means that they value what those seats offer more than I do and can afford to pay for them.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I shall pose a question for all of you that think it's stupid to pay the prices because bora bora is less expensive.

If pricing was flipped and renting a bungalow at Disney was half the price as renting one in bora bora, would the bora bora goers all be stupid wealthy rubes who are just flaunting their wealth? Would you be harolding they greed of the bora bora bungalow developers?

BrerJon

I shall pose a question for all of you that think it's stupid to pay the prices because bora bora is less expensive.

If pricing was flipped and renting a bungalow at Disney was half the price as renting one in bora bora, would the bora bora goers all be stupid wealthy rubes who are just flaunting their wealth? Would you be harolding they greed of the bora bora bungalow developers?

Interesting one, but it only would work if you got the same level of service at both - I haven't been to Bora Bora but if the quality of service, decor and water was the same as Bay Lake, then yes they would be crazy.

I can't believe I've just spent a good chunk of my Saturday arguing about 1970's Pizza-Hut themed bungalows. I need to get a life.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Interesting one, but it only would work if you got the same level of service at both - I haven't been to Bora Bora but if the quality of service, decor and water was the same as Bay Lake, then yes they would be crazy.

I can't believe I've just spent a good chunk of my Saturday arguing about 1970's Pizza-Hut themed bungalows. I need to get a life.
The problem is you are trying to compare two different experiences.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom