Prices for the Polynesian DVC Bungalows

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
The post-war mid-century era that is the style of the redo is exactly what they were going for. Polynesian and Tiki culture was huge during that period, and that is what gave rise to the Poly in the first place.
Personally, that design style is my absolute favorite. Mid-century modern and Tiki inspired things are what butters my bread, in a design sense.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The post-war mid-century era that is the style of the redo is exactly what they were going for. Polynesian and Tiki culture was huge during that period, and that is what gave rise to the Poly in the first place.
Personally, that design style is my absolute favorite. Mid-century modern and Tiki inspired things are what butters my bread, in a design sense.
I doubt you get buttered bread in your room bungalow.

squidward

I've thought DVC was way too expensive for quite a few years, but these bungalows, in my opinion, have crossed the line. But, given that there is only 20 of them, I'm sure they'll find people crazy enough to buy up the points.

I see 2 problems for Disney here:

1.There is NO WAY to market the bungalows as they have always done with DVC in the past. As expensive as it's been, they've made it seem possible when broken up into monthly payments. However, forget monthly payments for the purchase price. To try and sell someone 1 week a year with a monthly maintenance fee of $500 (at the very least) is going to be impossible.

2.Anyone that has this kind of money, why would they be interested in making such a crazy "investment"? If you're uber-rich, you don't need to worry about having a contract to stay in a place like that. You just pay cash. That's to say nothing of the fact that the bungalows don't even come close to what people that are used to spending that much money on hotels expect to get service and amenity wise.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I've thought DVC was way too expensive for quite a few years, but these bungalows, in my opinion, have crossed the line. But, given that there is only 20 of them, I'm sure they'll find people crazy enough to buy up the points.

I see 2 problems for Disney here:

1.There is NO WAY to market the bungalows as they have always done with DVC in the past. As expensive as it's been, they've made it seem possible when broken up into monthly payments. However, forget monthly payments for the purchase price. To try and sell someone 1 week a year with a monthly maintenance fee of $500 (at the very least) is going to be impossible.

2.Anyone that has this kind of money, why would they be interested in making such a crazy "investment"? If you're uber-rich, you don't need to worry about having a contract to stay in a place like that. You just pay cash. That's to say nothing of the fact that the bungalows don't even come close to what people that are used to spending that much money on hotels expect to get service and amenity wise.
I don't see Disney building these without having already done their homework. If I were in DVC management I would have contacted my top 10% of point owners privately inquiring if there would be an interest. If you think Disney built these hoping they would be successful, you are the crazy one. They have a pretty good idea they will be profitable.

squidward

I see another issue. How secure are these bungalows going to be? Clearly, anyone staying in them has lots of money. It reminds me of "Home Alone" when Joe Pesci says of the house Macauly Culkin lives in, "This house is the only reason we started working this block to begin with."

Disney can't stop scam artists from dropping pizza leaflets under guests doors. What's to stop them from keeping a thief who just waits for the family to leave for the park for the day from breaking in?

Of course, I could be wrong and they could have security guards posted 24/7, but I highly doubt that's gonna happen.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wouldn't count on it with the Bungalows. I would bet good money DVC owners will be charging $20 per point (if not more). Multiply that times 122 points per night and you're talking $2,400.
I was actually thinking about this. With only 20 units the availability will be next to zero most of the time. In theory if you bought a fixed week DVC contract for a super popular time like Christmas week you could rent out your week each year and likely get a premium above the cash rate. It would probably cost you in excess of $150,000 to buy, but if you could rent it out for $10,000 a year above your MFs you would break even in 15 years (assuming no time value of money). After that you could continue to rent it for the next 45 years for a profit or sell it (if you can find a buyer) and pocket the proceeds. If I had $150K to spend I could think of a lot of better ways to spend it, but it's an interesting idea.

BrerJon

Except this isn't a sports team. It's a physical location run by a corporation.

You're posting the equivalent that you hope JCPenny's returns to it's former glory.

But no-one ever went to Penny's for fun. WDW is a place you visit because of the happy times it gives you, so when it no longer makes you happy it's fair to ask why.

OK, try an experiential analogy. You live in a nice house, you love it there, but while you're on vacation the neighbours you let use it have trashed the place, dirtied the walls, broken the windows. It's not the same as it was when you return. Do you a) accept the damage as just changing times, b) hope that the repairmen will fix things up good as new and get them back to how they were or c) move house.

Those calling out WDW management are doing the second option - they remember WDW when it was amazing, reasonable value, want things to get better so they can experience those good times again.

squidward

I don't see Disney building these without having already done their homework. If I were in DVC management I would have contacted my top 10% of point owners privately inquiring if there would be an interest. If you think Disney built these hoping they would be successful, you are the crazy one. They have a pretty good idea they will be profitable.

I didn't say Disney was crazy. I said the people who buy them will be. I have no doubt they will sell them. Why do people buy sports cars in this country that go 3x faster than the speed limit allows?

You may be right. Disney may have contacted their top 10%. I can't imagine they would be foolish enough to try and sell these numbers to a prospective buyer walking past the DVC table in Tomorrowland.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I see another issue. How secure are these bungalows going to be? Clearly, anyone staying in them has lots of money. It reminds me of "Home Alone" when Joe Pesci says of the house Macauly Culkin lives in, "This house is the only reason we started working this block to begin with."

Disney can't stop scam artists from dropping pizza leaflets under guests doors. What's to stop them from keeping a thief who just waits for the family to leave for the park for the day from breaking in?

Of course, I could be wrong and they could have security guards posted 24/7, but I highly doubt that's gonna happen.
The doors will have locks on them. They are out in the open (with ferries passing every 15 minutes) so it would take stones to try to break a window or kick down the door. It's not much different than the concierge and suite levels of the hotels now. Just because people paid more for their room doesn't mean they will leave cash and jewelry lying around either.

I would be more concerned with a half drunk college student or CM trying to climb onto the deck and "pool hop" in the plunge pool. You know someone is gonna get dared to do it.

squidward

I was actually thinking about this. With only 20 units the availability will be next to zero most of the time. In theory if you bought a fixed week DVC contract for a super popular time like Christmas week you could rent out your week each year and likely get a premium above the cash rate. It would probably cost you in excess of $150,000 to buy, but if you could rent it out for $10,000 a year above your MFs you would break even in 15 years (assuming no time value of money). After that you could continue to rent it for the next 45 years for a profit or sell it (if you can find a buyer) and pocket the proceeds. If I had $150K to spend I could think of a lot of better ways to spend it, but it's an interesting idea.

That's assuming you could find someone with the money to rent the points from you. I honestly believe that people DO have limits. Yes, there are the super-rich who visit WDW, but every year? Eh, doesn't seem likely to me. Most people with that kind of money are visiting different places, far off places, that are actual relaxing vacation spots, not insanely crowded theme parks with rooms that don't come close to matching the rate charged for them.

Cesar R M

I didn't say Disney was crazy. I said the people who buy them will be. I have no doubt they will sell them. Why do people buy sports cars in this country that go 3x faster than the speed limit allows?

You may be right. Disney may have contacted their top 10%. I can't imagine they would be foolish enough to try and sell these numbers to a prospective buyer walking past the DVC table in Tomorrowland.
those are luxury cars that give status. I honestly dont see how a DVC pizza hut building gives status feelings.

You'd get more status on the Waldorf Astoria.

BrerJon

But they will NEVER get that personal shuttle as TDO will deem it 'too expensive' after all they have the monorail, If Disney had gone the extra mile and made these units truly deluxe in amenities I doubt many of us would be so amazed at the price.

And sorry when I hear plunge pool I think TOILET!.

Yeah everyone's acting as if it's a private swimming pool, it's not, it's a tiny jacuzzi for exhibitionists to wave at the ferry guests from.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's assuming you could find someone with the money to rent the points from you. I honestly believe that people DO have limits. Yes, there are the super-rich who visit WDW, but every year? Eh, doesn't seem likely to me. Most people with that kind of money are visiting different places, far off places, that are actual relaxing vacation spots, not insanely crowded theme parks with rooms that don't come close to matching the rate charged for them.
It's a risk. You could potentially rent to different people each year though. If you couldn't find a renter you could always dump the points to a point rental place. I've seen people market renting their DVC rooms on e-bay too.

squidward

Would it be over water with a MK view?

You think that has more value at 1 week per year than a luxury home that you own and can live in for the rest of your life?

I've had MK view rooms from both the Polynesian and GF. I wouldn't pay for them again. Sticking them out over a lake of unswimable, bacteria filled water isn't going to change that for me.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
You think that has more value at 1 week per year than a luxury home that you own and can live in for the rest of your life?

I've had MK view rooms from both the Polynesian and GF. I wouldn't pay for them again. Sticking them out over a lake of unswimable, bacteria filled water isn't going to change that for me.
Disney didn't build them for you.

squidward

It's a risk. You could potentially rent to different people each year though. If you couldn't find a renter you could always dump the points to a point rental place. I've seen people market renting their DVC rooms on e-bay too.

It'll be interesting to see what a place like David's will pay for those points. I see an ebay rental even tougher with a Buy It Now price of $15,000 for 1 week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom