Prices for the Polynesian DVC Bungalows

Lucky

The Washington post, or any other newspaper always attacks the 'rich'. I can find a news article and post a link in here to support almost any number or claim I want.

I think Jakeman put this to bed, and will take his work that the current 1% is $380K, opposed to my reference of $266K. It really doesn't matter for this argument, I am just saying that the top 1% is not as rich as the media says.
The pro-rich Cato Institute says the average income in the top 1% is 1.264 million.

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/truth-about-1-percent

flynnibus

Premium Member
flynnibus, I'm a big fan of your posts normally, but you're missing the point. The people who can afford these bungalows can stay most anywhere in the world. My guess is many probably have. If they choose to spend their money in these, then Disney made a smart choice by creating an experience those people consider appropriate for them and pricing it right

I did address this...
I think the demographic is exactly what Disney has been preaching... the toddler audience who wants to goto WDW and pulling their parents along to pay the bills. And here, if you are so filthy rich you don't care, here are the 'best accomodations we have for you sir...'.

A filthy rich couple who don't care about money don't aspire to stay at Disney's Holiday Inn on the swamp and rub elbows with honey boo boo. They go because they take their kids... who Disney has been brain washing.

That is unless... by your own definition these are people that 'can stay most anywhere in the world' and for THEIR choice of vacation they think paying top dollar for a FAUX version of the real thing is their preference?

That's like saying the rich prefer buying fake rolexes because they prefer the cheaper build, lower quality, stigma, and will pay more for it.

No, we can't generalize everyone 100% - but if I'm a filthy rich couple and want to take a vacation that matches my tastes, lifestyle, and expectations of service... you're arguing that they are going to prefer visiting Disney's fake version of the world... vs the real thing?

Take special note all the bungalows are sized to fit families and larger. When you are filthy rich, you don't 'buddy up' in a room. These rooms were built to house people with too much money taking family to WDW.

Yes, many of us prefer WDW for our vacations.. and we enjoy things like faux World Showcase because they are samplers of the real thing. But if I'm so rich money doesn't matter... why don't I just visit the real thing?

This is not about one trip being better than others. It's about a company creating a premium product for a select group and pricing it so

If they were actually building said 'premium product' matched to the levels of service and quality expected of their price point... I'd agree with you. But they don't.

I think a lot of things are stupid wastes of money. I won't spend my money on those things. If others do, that doesn't make them stupid. It makes them smart for spending their hard-earned dollars on the product they want. I don't care what others think of my purchases and I certainly don't judge others on how they spend their money.

The terms of 'throwing away money' or images like this ..
Rich-Businessman-Lighting-Cigar-With-100-Dollar-Bill-Shutterstock.jpg

aren't in our lexicon because we turn a blind eye to people's choices. Just because a decision is someone's free will choice -- that doesn't make it a good one nor immune from criticism.

disneydudette

and yet at the end of the day.. you are still in central FL over a green lake.

Have you ever traveled outside north america?

Why is anybody even 'looking' at these bungalows if they DIDN'T want to be in Central Florida?!

If people want to go to Bora Bora... they research Bora Bora. If people want to go to Disney... they research Disney.

I don't understand the decision to compare the two?

If a free standing, lake front, 2 bedroom 'bungalow' with full kitchen, W&D, and plunge pool appeals to soneone... *slow clap* well done Disney.

You're assuming the only desire to stay in such a unit is to 'mimic' the real thing. I disagree...

They took 20 small vacation homes...added a personal pool on the back deck... situated them in one of the most desired resorts... with quite possibly the best view on property... and offering them to a market that already exists in Disney.

Desperate to stay there? Save, skip trips, bank and borrow points, it's not like you're really 'missing anything' at the parks these days... let's all agree on that.

For us? No thanks... our 9 night August stay at the Poly is a few hundred less than 1 night in the bungalow. Though it's also probably $1,000+ more than families staying a week at the Values.

We find 'value' in house rentals else where... last year it was in Provo, TCI oceanfront on Taylor Bay... next month it's in Cape Town, South Africa... since you were so curious.

Either way... the only thing that sounds more blissful than my apparent ignorance, is getting my booze on in our personal plunge pool while watching Wishes and the EWP.

Last edited:

raven

The baffling thing is still: Wouldn't someone paying 2000$ for a hotel room expect that it comes with Club Level privileges? Especially since the Poly supposedly has a lovely Club Level. So far it seems that this won't be the case or has someone heard differently?

Although it isn't official yet, if you read what was posted on the main page it says "room only." Not sure what that implies but it makes it sound basic....like the furniture featured in the concept art.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The baffling thing is still: Wouldn't someone paying 2000$ for a hotel room expect that it comes with Club Level privileges? Especially since the Poly supposedly has a lovely Club Level. So far it seems that this won't be the case or has someone heard differently?

It hasn't been said... but it's a great question that I hinted at before... are these simply DVC units or are they suites? Paying premium prices and getting DVC service is a bit of a slap in the face.

The one thing going for these rooms is they sleep up to 8... but the pricing/return just doesn't pan out for these things. I guess what's your best case 'bargin' DVC scenario... you want one week every 3 years.. at the #3 tier that's still over 41k in buy in costs, plus the $7k+ in dues.

I have to think the number of people willing to buy up that many points will be so narrow that these things are going to be rented more than not.

ParentsOf4

flynnibus, I'm a big fan of your posts normally, but you're missing the point. The people who can afford these bungalows can stay most anywhere in the world.
More likely, someone is going to buy 200 points (@ $160/point), take out a big loan at Disney's 14.5%, and then use DVC's banking & borrowing privileges to stay a few nights at one of these bungalows once every few years.

There simply aren't anywhere enough WDW fans who can afford to spend $160K to purchase the 1000 points necessary to stay a week in one of these 20 bungalows, never mind pay the $6000 (and increasing) amount every year in annual Maintenance Fees.

Last edited:

Bolna

It hasn't been said... but it's a great question that I hinted at before... are these simply DVC units or are they suites? Paying premium prices and getting DVC service is a bit of a slap in the face.

The one thing going for these rooms is they sleep up to 8... but the pricing/return just doesn't pan out for these things. I guess what's your best case 'bargin' DVC scenario... you want one week every 3 years.. at the #3 tier that's still over 41k in buy in costs, plus the $7k+ in dues.

I have to think the number of people willing to buy up that many points will be so narrow that these things are going to be rented more than not.

Well, it is always the case that if you get a DVC room as a cash reservation from Disney itself (not renting points from a DVC member), you at least get daily housekeeping, not the reduced DVC housekeeping.

I think the Bungalows will be immensely popular for existing members for splurge vacations. There is a very long thread on the DISboards with people who all own over 1000 DVC points (yes, that must be around $5500-6000 in annual dues). So, if you have 500 points and have an anniversary coming up, why not save your points from one year, book the Bungalow for a week and feel like you are a 1%-er. The points value

I think when buying DVC people are still connected to the value of their single points. But then most have their DVC annual dues payment as a monthly payment and it is cost that they no longer see. Then they start using their points in ways that are not financially sound. Like going on a cruise on points. I met someone on my last cruise who was totally excited how wonderful DVC is. They are not going to WDW anymore, because the tickets are so expensive and they can't afford that. But they can go on these wonderful cruises. While I am a huge DCL fan, this just does not make any sense financially!! But that's what people do!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why is anybody even 'looking' at these bungalows if they DIDN'T want to be in Central Florida?!
[...]

They took 20 small vacation homes...added a personal pool on the back deck... situated them in one of the most desired resorts... with quite possibly the best view on property... and offering them to a market that already exists in Disney.

You flaw is assuming that the demographic that matches what you just said above... is the same demographic that 'can stay anywhere they want'. In isolation each is true, but the argument being made that I was responding to was that 'money is no object to these people...' and 'these people' are the same people prioritizing faux Disney over real world sites.

If money is no object to you... why do you buy the fake rolex? If you say the prices don't matter because these people don't care about money... why are they paying for the imitation product?

My postulation is this audience isn't the 'money to burn'+'we prefer disney crowd' but rather simply the 'we have money to burn'+'we have kids'.

Desperate to stay there? Save, skip trips, bank and borrow points, it's not like you're really 'missing anything' at the parks these days... let's all agree on that.

Sure, but do the math.. it's not simply a matter of 'skipping a few lattes'.. even at max bank/borrow you are looking at 300+ points a year to get a week stay.

For us? No thanks... our 9 night August stay at the Poly is a few hundred less than 1 night in the bungalow. Though it's also probably $1,000+ more than families staying a week at the Values.

We find 'value' in house rentals else where... last year it was in Provo, TCI oceanfront on Taylor Bay... next month it's in Cape Town, South Africa... since you were so curious.

Either way... the only thing that sounds more blissful than my apparent ignorance, is getting my booze on in our personal plunge pool while watching Wishes and the EWP.

Well the Caribbean is a start.. but as I said, outside North America? :) But given that experience... would you justify spending 2x, 3x, or 4x what you spent to be on a crystal blue water lagoon just so you could watch fireworks you could have been sitting poolside and watched? Or just 18months earlier you watched from the beach for FREE?

Is $7,000 a year worth having a plunge pool every 3rd year?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the Bungalows will be immensely popular for existing members for splurge vacations. There is a very long thread on the DISboards with people who all own over 1000 DVC points (yes, that must be around $5500-6000 in annual dues). So, if you have 500 points and have an anniversary coming up, why not save your points from one year, book the Bungalow for a week and feel like you are a 1%-er. The points value

Yeah, but we still have to fill over 1,000 weekly rentals every year. Can that top group of DVC'ers really do that every year?

I have to imagine that the # of owners drops off a cliff once you get past 500-600 points. Seems like having 400ish is pretty regular.. but still blows my mind.

and I'm a guy who spends thousands on pure 'toys' for myself all the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom