Prices for the Polynesian DVC Bungalows

flynnibus

Premium Member
So your basic argument is that because I think it's stupid and overpriced, no one else should be able to go there or like it, and anyone who does like it is a moron? Also Disney now only caters to morons?

No, but nice try.

Just because someone has an opinion it doesn't make it a rational one nor qualified one. People may think 'wow, this view is just as good as XYZ' or qualifies as something simply because they know no better. People that accept the fake simply because they don't even know the difference between the fake and real thing.

There is a big difference between accepting something with the understanding of what it is and its limitations are... vs accepting something because you know no better. When one falls into the latter bucket, they tend to make justifications that dumbfound those in the know.

Standing on a pier in bay lake is not even in the same category of life as standing on the same pier in a tropical escape. But if Florida is all you know is as close as you've ever gotten... or you've never been immersed in something more.. you may make that false conclusion, and make even more faulty conclusions based on that.

People are being sold fake rolexs... and some people think they are actually real.

bhg469

I could care less if it is what you consider a 1% product. The bottom line is it is their most expensive product right next to their least expensive one.
No need to get worked up xbox friend :) I respect your opinion for sure. There are more expensive models of the Corvette and its no reason to get worked up. If you blindly tell someone that there were 2 cars that cost the same but one was made my mercedes one was chevy they would associate the latter with the more social elite. I wouldnt say the vette is a slouch and its a fantastic car but it is not a luxury car or brand.

jakeman

No, but nice try.

Just because someone has an opinion it doesn't make it a rational one nor qualified one. People may think 'wow, this view is just as good as XYZ' or qualifies as something simply because they know no better. People that accept the fake simply because they don't even know the difference between the fake and real thing.

There is a big difference between accepting something with the understanding of what it is and its limitations are... vs accepting something because you know no better. When one falls into the latter bucket, they tend to make justifications that dumbfound those in the know.

Standing on a pier in bay lake is not even in the same category of life as standing on the same pier in a tropical escape. But if Florida is all you know is as close as you've ever gotten... or you've never been immersed in something more.. you may make that false conclusion, and make even more faulty conclusions based on that.

People are being sold fake rolexs... and some people think they are actually real.
And other people are really way too concerned with what folks do with their vacation dollars.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
No, but nice try.

Well I thank you for thinking you're smarter than I am. I'm going to go back to figuring how that wheel thing works.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I could care less if it is what you consider a 1% product. The bottom line is it is their most expensive product right next to their least expensive one.

So is the honda ridgeline (their most expensive model) vs the civic... but that's for missing the whole point and failing to grasp the difference between 'products aimed for the exclusive, most extreme customers' and simply 'our most expensive product this particular company offers'. Kudos for dragging this on until it had to be spelled out.

SnarkyMonkey

All I'm saying is that some gave me $2000, I would book a night here the moment that I could. I don't think that makes me stupid. I think they look gorgeous, luxurious, and in my favourite place on earth. I would love to experience that.

It's kind of funny to me that the same people complaining about the injustice of the bungalows not being cheaper are the same people asking why anyone would ever want to stay in these "brain-eating amoeba circus rooms." For people who wouldn't stay there anyway because they have much preferred their fantastic Bora Bora Australian vacations thank you very much, they sure are putting a lot of time and energy and emotion into talking about them. I'm calling it. I think you all have bungalow envy!

Look, Orlando is filled with affordable accomodations. The majority of things at Disney area obviously affordable to average people or you and I would never have been there. Who cares if they throw out a few things for the super rich? If anything, WDW has become more accessible to different incomes as time has gone on. Before the mods, most people couldn't afford to stay on property as the monorail resorts were out of their league.

Because Bora Bora >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Central Florida.. In fact a over the water bungalow over any just about any tropical island is infinitely better than this...

I seriously would love to read your Bora Bora trip report! You seem to love it there. :)

NelsonRD

266k might be the lower bound for the top 1%, although the numbers I've seen are higher than 266k. In any case the average income in the top 1% is more like 800k.

I disagree. The $266k range does vary by year and location. Just google it now, and you will see a range, but no where near $800K. People think that the top 10%, 5% and 1% are richer than they actually are.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And other people are really way too concerned with what folks do with their vacation dollars.

Well considering it's a website talking about the Disney company and it's products... it's fair game. This isn't 'jakeman's personal trip forum' and we aren't being critical of your individual choices.

People are free to be stupid - that doesn't mean we must respect nor support those decisions.

flyerjab

Original Poster
I love the posters that feel they simply know better than other people. Like there is some higher form of theme park traveler that understands what the real value of a theme park experience should be. I never point out individuals because I would hate it if someone specifically called me out over my opinion, or, what is a true self assessment of how I appreciate something in my world view.

These posters know who they are though. They would be the same people that would stand outside the Louvre, ask what your favorite painting is, and then say why you are wrong based on factors that aren't even important to you in your every day. If arrogance gave off an offensive odor, you could smell some of these people from outer space.

bhg469

All I'm saying is that some gave me $2000, I would book a night here the moment that I could. I don't think that makes me stupid. I think they look gorgeous, luxurious, and in my favourite place on earth. I would love to experience that.

It's kind of funny to me that the same people complaining about the injustice of the bungalows not being cheaper are the same people asking why anyone would ever want to stay in these "brain-eating amoeba circus rooms." For people who wouldn't stay there anyway because they have much preferred their fantastic Bora Bora Australian vacations thank you very much, they sure are putting a lot of time and energy and emotion into talking about them. I'm calling it. I think you all have bungalow envy!

Look, Orlando is filled with affordable accomodations. The majority of things at Disney area obviously affordable to average people or you and I would never have been there. Who cares if they throw out a few things for the super rich? If anything, WDW has become more accessible to different incomes as time has gone on. Before the mods, most people couldn't afford to stay on property as the monorail resorts were out of their league.

I seriously would love to read your Bora Bora trip report! You seem to love it there. :)
I would love to go, given the choice I would go to turks and caicos If we are talking about places Id rather stay in a bungalo above the water my first preference will always be water that is safe to go in.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
So is the honda ridgeline (their most expensive model) vs the civic... but that's for missing the whole point and failing to grasp the difference between 'products aimed for the exclusive, most extreme customers' and simply 'our most expensive product this particular company offers'. Kudos for dragging this on until it had to be spelled out.

That's not a valid analogy because you are not comparing two similar things.

Lucky

jakeman

Well considering it's a website talking about the Disney company and it's products... it's fair game. This isn't 'jakeman's personal trip forum' and we aren't being critical of your individual choices.

People are free to be stupid - that doesn't mean we must respect nor support those decisions.
I'm sure most folks that have read any amount of your post are pretty okay without your respect or support.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's not a valid analogy because you are not comparing two similar things.

I didn't bring the cars into the 1% argument... the flawed counterpoints did. The honda example just proves the fallacy in the 'because this is the most expensive car we sell' justification on why a GTR or C7 even have any relevance to the point.

TeddyinMO

flynnibus, I'm a big fan of your posts normally, but you're missing the point. The people who can afford these bungalows can stay most anywhere in the world. My guess is many probably have. If they choose to spend their money in these, then Disney made a smart choice by creating an experience those people consider appropriate for them and pricing it right. This is not about one trip being better than others. It's about a company creating a premium product for a select group and pricing it so. If these turn out to be duds, the select few won't pay for them and the price will come down closer to what we all can pay. If, however, this select clientele feels these are worth the money, well then Disney's going to make a killing off of 20 huts over an amoeba filled lake because people want them. I suspect the outcome will be far closer to the latter option.

I think a lot of things are stupid wastes of money. I won't spend my money on those things. If others do, that doesn't make them stupid. It makes them smart for spending their hard-earned dollars on the product they want. I don't care what others think of my purchases and I certainly don't judge others on how they spend their money.

NelsonRD

A few years ago the lowest income in the top 1% was over 500k according to this article, and the average was over 1.5m. It must be even higher now.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-1-percenters/2011/10/06/gIQAn4JDQL_blog.html

The Washington post, or any other newspaper always attacks the 'rich'. I can find a news article and post a link in here to support almost any number or claim I want.

I think Jakeman put this to bed, and will take his work that the current 1% is $380K, opposed to my reference of $266K. It really doesn't matter for this argument, I am just saying that the top 1% is not as rich as the media says.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom