Prices for the Polynesian DVC Bungalows

Animaniac93-98

As a comparison, rack rates for the Presidential Suite at Beach Club start at around $2K a night.

Charging this much for a room on WDW is not unheard of. The question for me is whether or not the bungalows provide a Presidential Suite quality experience.

EDIT: Looks like a Grand Villa (3-bedroom) MK view at Bay Lake Tower is a similar price.

Disneyhead'71

People who can afford this, truly afford this that is, not merely scrape two nights together through banking and borrowing:

1.) would never buy a timeshare. It's a value proposition, something the true 1% would not do.

2.) would never accept the substandard service levels a Disney deluxe resort provides with their joke of a "concierge" service.

Who will he staying is faux 1%ers & in hock lifestylers
I live like a 1%er 1% of the time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It could also well be that people will rent these for shorter stays. Spend a weekend at the Poly, enjoy Trader Sam's Grotto, the pool , a massage at the GF's spa and dinner at Victory & Albert - oh and watching the fireworks from your plunge pool - and you have a perfect splurge weekend. ;)

The interesting thing will be: Are they going to sell fixed weeks for the bungalows and will they have any takers. I am afraid that there will not be any way to find out, but that should tell us how well Disney reads its DVC market.
They are selling fixed week contracts as well similar to VGF. I think it will have the same restriction, something like no more than 35% of available inventory for each week. That equates to 7 of the 20 units that could be sold as fixed weeks leaving only 13 available in regular inventory. That would only happen if they found 364 people (7 X 52) with a few hundred grand lying around waiting to be spent on a fixed week contract. Not likely to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got some takers during popular times like Christmas and 4th of July weeks. According to DVCnews they have sold 242 fixed week deeds, but that includes studios and 1BR villas which would be much cheaper.

Disneyhead'71

As a comparison, rack rates for the Presidential Suite at Beach Club start at around $2K a night.

Charging this much for a room on WDW is not unheard of. The question for me is whether or not the bungalows provide a Presidential Suite quality experience.

EDIT: Looks like a Grand Villa (3-bedroom) MK view at Bay Lake Tower is a similar price.

This is what slumming it off property at comparable priced accommodations looks like.

the-ritz-carlton-orlando-grande-lakes-orlando-prezsuite-2890.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's not that surprising to me. There are only 20 units so they don't need to worry about selling volume. The cash rate is for big spenders, VIPs and the true 1%. Is the rate really that outrageous compared to other WDW rates? The studio hotel rooms can get up to $700 a night at the deluxe resorts. With a bungalow you get a private pool, full kitchen, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and an unobstructed view of wishes and MK. I would expect that room to be priced at least 3 times the standard studio room considering you can sleep the equivalent of 2 rooms plus the other amenities. Now if you want to argue the stand studio price is really bloated, that's another story. I won't disagree.

As far as people renting with DVC points it will likely be a bank/borrow situation. Needing to own 841 points is a lot, but someone with 300 points can bank and borrow them into 900 points and try for a once in a lifetime stay. I also think there might be a lot of turnover in the rooms.

Last edited:

note2001

Good thing it's not morning when I read those prices or my coffee/tea would have gone everywhere.
I had a feeling the prices wouldn't be the thing we saw shoot through the roof on this implementation, but rather the points. Still curious what they'll charge for a "garden view" studio.

Meanwhile, I'm happily roughing it with our giraffe & zebra over at Kidani.

Ariel1986

This is what slumming it off property at comparable priced accommodations looks like.

the-ritz-carlton-orlando-grande-lakes-orlando-prezsuite-2890.jpg

Yes EXACTLY my point

And if people want to stay in a larger accommodation outside of Disney, they can and will. People pay the prices to be onsite and near the parks, to be IN Disney World. It's not a right or an obligation, it's a choice. Like many have already stated, most of the people who will choose to pay these prices won't be looking for value like a lot of the other people visiting- who have been planning and saving for their holidays.

Its the same reason people pay ridiculous prices to stay and live in New York/London/etc. when for the same price you could stay or live somewhere just as nice- or even 10x the size- for the same or even half the price. Who's going to stay in a fabulous suite at one of the hotels near JFK airport because it's 4x the size of the room they can get in Times Square?!
It's about location and choice- Disney aren't forcing you to hand over your money!

I can't afford to stay in the presidential suite at the Ritz in Paris- but hey, do I need to hold a placard up holding signs about how I could stay in 100 other hotels nearby for the same price as one night there? I can still visit the sights and restaurants around Paris. Just can't stay at one of the "top" hotels. Yet... ;)

StarWarsGirl

If there were like hundreds of these I would be surprised at the price but with only 20 they will have no problem selling them at whatever price they want. Of all the hundreds of thousands of DVC members i'm sure 20 families a night will pay it. Plus there's always celebrities and stuff that want the fanciest accommodations and don't care about the price, high power executives/politicians, etc.
That's what I was thinking. The majority of us are saying that we wouldn't stay here, but since Disney only has 20 of them, they don't want or need the majority of us staying there.

Disneyhead'71

It's all about the "themed" vacation. I, personally, am over it. But I get it. A well-to-do family of 5-6 from the cold fly-over states with a Disney fixation will have a wonderful time. And there are more than enough of them to fill 20 room. This will be a unique and more importantly NEW Disney experience.

disneydudette

You flaw is assuming that the demographic that matches what you just said above... is the same demographic that 'can stay anywhere they want'. In isolation each is true, but the argument being made that I was responding to was that 'money is no object to these people...' and 'these people' are the same people prioritizing faux Disney over real world sites.

If money is no object to you... why do you buy the fake rolex? If you say the prices don't matter because these people don't care about money... why are they paying for the imitation product?

My postulation is this audience isn't the 'money to burn'+'we prefer disney crowd' but rather simply the 'we have money to burn'+'we have kids'...

Apologies Flynn... I some how 'missed' that aspect of your earlier post... and agree.

I personally view the bungalows as 'just another option' for those with the means to stay in $2k+ rooms a night or who drop 800+ in points. Both groups currently exist... and have for years staying in 2-bedroom/Presidential Suites and Grand Villas.

How they come to those means/points, or their reasoning to spend them at Disney, is of little concern to me.

No different than the Polynesian Deluxe Studios coming on to the market to 'compete' with other DVC resorts, the Bungalows give a nice option to those who typically pay/rent Grand Villas and 2 bedroom suites.

BLT offers 14 Grand Villa Units, VGF another 6, which are available for point rental or cash payment. All 3 resorts currently offer rooms with a similar 'rack rate' ... though they do include access to a concierge lounge (no need to argue if concierge 'trumps' a full kitchen and washer/dryer... to each their own.)

Need the space? Consider a Grand Villa at the VGF... don't need the space but have the points/cash? Consider a Bungalow at the Polynesian.

Prefer the benefits and offerings of a concierge lounge? Stay Presidential at the Contemporary or other MK Area Resort. Prefer the benefits of a Full Kitchen and Washer/Dryer? Consider a Bungalow.

The end.

How and why you're choosing to spend your points/cash is your business, and yours alone. Whether it's skipping 4 years of DVC trips to do so or perhaps using your 'January Allowance' payment or even saving for 2 years to spend a night after 4 at ASMu... go team! *air five*

As others have pointed out... the fact that DVC's new 'norm' is offering a $160pp buy in... with $6pp annual dues... and one of 3 units starting out at 841pts a week is far more concerning, in my opinion of course, than the [sudden] realization that Disney has been offering $1,800+/700+ point villas for the last 5 years.

I don't 'hate' the player... I hate the game... but the game isn't new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom