Press event Tuesday, Jan. 18th.

SoupBone

No one ever claimed it would be thrilling. It's a mix between a dark ride and a coaster, mostly indoors.

I thought I saw someone post that a few pages back. I guess what I'm wondering is how could it be a coaster and not be thrilling? Thunder Mountain is tame by most coaster standards, but it's definitely still thrilling with its banks and turns. I'm still excited either way...:sohappy:

cbconglom

No one ever claimed it would be thrilling. It's a mix between a dark ride and a coaster, mostly indoors.

well i mean technically i thought someone did at some point in this 19 pages but maybe i'm wrong.. course others also said 2/3 outdoors so who knows.. i'm so confused

SeaCastle

LESS thrilling?! Noooooooo! This isn't turning out to be what I thought it would....

I've been following this since I first started doing some figuring out with Raven's comments in mid-July, and to be honest I'm only slightly less than mesmerized. It took more than six months for information to leak to the fan community that the meet and greets were cut, and a half year later, there is still no announcement (though that's about to change) That there ever was a cut, much less a rollercoaster as a result. And yet there's still no real consensus if this is a heavily-themed-Barnstormer-type-C-ticket or an E-ticket-highly-detailed-yet-not-very-thrilling-coaster.

I guess all will be revealed this Tuesday, and personally I'm very excited to see what we'll ultimately be getting, not to mention other big surprises that are rumored to be announced.

raven

Original Poster
I thought other people said the opposite: it would be mostly outdoors. I think the fraction was 1/3 indoors, 2/3 outdoors.

That isn't what the plans show. It pops outside in two small areas, otherwise it's all indoors. Plans can always change though.

Purpilia25

Sure its kind of disappointing that the mine coaster isnt going to be all that "thrilling" but I think it is good for what it replaces. We are using a large chunk of land that was previously going to be used up for a VERY glorified Meet and Greet, and getting a ride. Additionally we get a fair replacement for a very old dark ride which was in desperate need of restoration in my opinion, which will inevitably retell the same story, but on a larger canvas so to speak.

The indoor/outdoor thing? Well...it is a mine. It makes sense it would be dark and indoors. Not so surprised there, and I actually was hoping it would be indoors. My biggest desire with this is that it blends nicely into the area with just as much green space as the axed M&G. I am not to worried about that!

jt04

I really have no idea what is coming next. I don't know what the plans are for Fantasyland or for the rest of WDW for that matter. However, I am fairly certain of a couple of things. #1 We need to quit worrying about what Disney's answer to HP is going to be. Quite frankly, there is absolutely nothing that can be an answer to Harry Potter, at least for the next 10-15 years. There is not a single franchise/idea around today that gets people as hyped up as the HP franchise. There is absolutely nothing that could be built at WDW that could have thousands and thousands of people as pumped as Hogwarts. Frankly, this is one area in which the Walt Disney Company made a mistake by not wanting to give up some creative control. The one thing that Disney can do is to continue to build upon the reputation that they are the best and build some attractions that would continue that legacty. They need to offer some people some things that say, "Hey, I really loved HP but wow this is place is just amazing. And how can they do that #2...kids are different today then they have ever been. Kids expectations for technology and and thrills are so much more than when we were kids. No longer can simple dark rides please little kids. Heck, I took my 5 year old nephew back in November and his favorite attraction was Tower of Terror. I dont know that SWSA adventure is something that kids today are dying to do. Nor, do I think they'd be overly thrilled with a mild-mine car ride. (BTW, whats with Disney and the runaway trains...there are other ideas out there). Kids want to see awesome..even little kids. Disney can still be family friendly but at the same time they have to realize that families have evolved and they are no longer amazed by twirling things on a medal rod.

Please :rolleyes:

I do not think you are on the right track. Yes, the ride goes indoors at one point to go inside the mine scene, but at very best it's never been described to me as more than 1/3 indoors, 2/3 outdoors. That doesn't mean it won't be fantastic. Much more than 2/3 of Big Thunder takes place outdoors and I remain firm that it's the best themed mine train in the world today.

When I compare it to the Mummy I don't mean intensity or g-forces. I'm thinking it might be the next step in traditional dark rides in that, by using coaster technology, it can create amazing presentations of 'show'. Something akin to the leap forward that rides like Sea World's Atlantis and the Mummy and Maelstrom did when they first opened. But of course in this case very family friendly and more in line with the intensity of a traditional Disney dark ride. We will know soon enough.

For some reason when I read that I had an image of Crushes Coaster from WDSP.... but without the coaster part...

I agree, I think you are right. This could really be a game changer in dark ride technology.

David S.

Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I could care less if the rides use new, "cutting edge" technology and are "innovative" as long as they give that warm, fuzzy, happy feeling, feature beloved characters and songs, tell the stories of the Animated Classic Films they represent, and give the goosebumps of a "Happily Ever After" ending.

And for me, the current version of WDW's Snow White delivers ALL of these things. Just like the other so-called "run down", so-called "C-ticket" dark rides in Fantasyland do. In my book, they are "E-tickets" to me that I actually prefer over things like Mansion and Pirates because Snow White, Peter Pan's Flight, Winnie-the-Pooh, as well as things like Disneyland's Pinocchio dark ride (sadly missing from the MK), perfectly capture the essense and heart of these great classic movies that I love so much. They just make me feel happier and more "warm and fuzzy" inside, and more in touch with my Inner Child, than many of the more high-tech so-called "E-tickets" do.

So hopefully, this gives you some insight into why some will be sad to see Snow White go (if it does). For me, it has NOTHING to do with technology and EVERYTHING to do with emotions. And not emotions grounded in nostalgia based on a past association with the ride. Emotions based on the fact that these classic, short but sweet, Fantasyland dark rides still work their magic for me NOW, in the present!

Maybe the 7 dwarfs coaster will tell the story of Snow White as good as the current dark ride does, but somehow I doubt it, especially if the focus is just the dwarfs and not Snow White. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

But the current ride is so wonderful in it's faithfulness to the story of the original film and all the emotion it captures from it. Much better than the original WDW version of the ride, which, unlike the movie, was completely dominated by the evil, stupid witch.

In the current version, you get the lovely intro of Snow White singing "I'm Wishing" at the well, in her beautiful, operatic style. Then the vile Queen plots against her and she has to flee into the woods. But next comes the soothing, calming, score where the menacing eyes in Snow White's imagination are shown to be the gentle birdies, bunnies, squirrels, etc. This scene is faithful to the movie and the current WDW version of the ride is the only one out of all the Snow White rides worldwide which has this scene and musical score, which is one of my favorites in the ride. Next is another favorite scene, the happy scene with the dwarfs singing "The Silly Song" (aka "The Dwarf's Yodel Song") in their cottage.

After the witch steals the show for a little while but thankfully meets her doom (unlike the original WDW version of the ride where the stupid hag wins), guests are then treated to one of the most beautiful and sublime scenes in any Disney dark ride anywhere. The lovely choral strains of "Someday My Prince Will Come" plays, the Prince awakens Snow White, and she says goodbye to the Dwarfs and her animal friends to live Happily Ever After. If you look at the backgrounds here, they gradually go from dark to light, symbolizing that evil has been defeated and Snow White is riding off to her happiness. The quality of the artwork in this final scene is beautiful and stunning. It's like stepping into the beautiful artwork of the animated movie itself! Again, this "Happily Ever After" scene is found in the current WDW version of the ride, but not at Disneyland, where, due to space limitations, a much smaller "Happy Ending" illustration was tacked on to the end more abrubtly.

So who cares that there are newer attractions that use more "cutting edge technology" than that which is found here? When all of those attractions can give me the goosebumps and warm, fuzzy, Disney Magical Happily Ever After feeling I get on the CURRENT version of the WDW Snow White ride, then we'll talk!

Here is an article about the current version of the WDW Snow White ride which illustrates why I prefer it over all the other "Disney Parks" Snow White rides (although many, including the author, would probably disagree):

http://www.kennetti.fi/swscary_10.html

:eek: I think I got a toothache from reading your overly sweetened description of the ride. :lol:

That's what it was supposed to be. In reality you really don't have time for all of that on the ride. It's more "OH! Look at that... oh, nevermind. Wait. What was that? Tommy stop covering your eyes, it's almost over."

Well, I'm an "overly sweetened" type of person!

Maybe in your "reality" you don't notice all those details and feel all the emotions that I described the ride as having, but I most CERTAINLY do. Why in Hades would I make that up? I do take pride in having both a VERY focused attention span and being able to see things through the eyes and sensitivity of my Inner Child, so I notice all the little details and also feel things VERY deeply and intensely. And I wouldn't have it any other way! If you can't see or feel all the MAGIC that this ride offers, that isn't my fault!

If they truly are planning on announcing the cruel, cold, destruction of this wonderful ride during their bloody "press event", I hope it rains buckets on them! The forecast says it might, and I think it would be very poetic for such gloomy news to be mirrored by gloomy weather!:ROFLOL:
:ROFLOL:

SNOW WHITE'S ADVENTURES FOREVER!

If they tear down the ride, I'll be voting on both this and the sad, needless destruction of Toontown with my pocketbook. Disneyland, here I come! It may be smaller, but it is WAY SUPERIOR and they actually respect their HISTORY over there!

And you know what's really ironic and kind of sad (from a WDW-MK point of view) about all this? Even after all the work on "New Fantasyland" is finished, and the destruction of beloved classics Toontown and Snow White is done, the DL Fantasyland will STILL be superior, and have more attractions than the pathetic WDW has, despite WDW having tens of thousands of more acres than the DL resort, and the MK having more room than DL park! MK will STILL be missing the Pinocchio, Alice, and Toad dark rides (and possibly Snow White); the Casey Junior and Storybookland rides, and the Matterhorn Bobsleds. And DL will have all those extra rides, missing from the MK, and yet still have space for Toontown in their smaller park! And even the MK Mermaid ride will be a clone of something DL is getting for DCA! :ROFLOL:

Gosh, when you really break it down and analyze it, the MK really sucks when compared to DL!

"TDO" SUCKS!

The Duck

A ride (even a coaster) doesn't necessarily have to be thrilling to be entertaining. My first visit to WDW was in 1975 when I was 13, and even then I preferred Jungle Cruise to Space Mountain. I, for one, am looking forward to a well-themed Dwarf Train with a few mild thrills along with the immersion into Fantasy. Give me Disney theming and story-telling over traditional "white knuckle" rides any day.

Victor Kelly

wow 20 pages of very interesting reading.

I am in wait and see mode. SWSA is entertaining, but very dated. Any improvement is good at this point.

juan

Well, I'm an "overly sweetened" type of person!

Maybe in your "reality" you don't notice all those details and feel all the emotions that I described the ride as having, but I most CERTAINLY do. Why in Hades would I make that up? I do take pride in having both a VERY focused attention span and being able to see things through the eyes and sensitivity of my Inner Child, so I notice all the little details and also feel things VERY deeply and intensely. And I wouldn't have it any other way! If you can't see or feel all the MAGIC that this ride offers, that isn't my fault!

If they truly are planning on announcing the cruel, cold, destruction of this wonderful ride during their bloody "press event", I hope it rains buckets on them! The forecast says it might, and I think it would be very poetic for such gloomy news to be mirrored by gloomy weather!:ROFLOL:
:ROFLOL:

SNOW WHITE'S ADVENTURES FOREVER!

If they tear down the ride, I'll be voting on both this and the sad, needless destruction of Toontown with my pocketbook. Disneyland, here I come! It may be smaller, but it is WAY SUPERIOR and they actually respect their HISTORY over there!

And you know what's really ironic and kind of sad (from a WDW-MK point of view) about all this? Even after all the work on "New Fantasyland" is finished, and the destruction of beloved classics Toontown and Snow White is done, the DL Fantasyland will STILL be superior, and have more attractions than the pathetic WDW has, despite WDW having tens of thousands of more acres than the DL resort, and the MK having more room than DL park! MK will STILL be missing the Pinocchio, Alice, and Toad dark rides (and possibly Snow White); the Casey Junior and Storybookland rides, and the Matterhorn Bobsleds. And DL will have all those extra rides, missing from the MK, and yet still have space for Toontown in their smaller park! And even the MK Mermaid ride will be a clone of something DL is getting for DCA! :ROFLOL:

Gosh, when you really break it down and analyze it, the MK really sucks when compared to DL!

"TDO" SUCKS!

Someone's a bit dramatic :rolleyes:

RSoxNo1

Just speculation, but they might announce something else that could bring some things together and tie up loose ends...
:drevil:

Color me excited about this, but as I said previously my expectations are Fantasyland concept art and a bit of some clarification on the projects involved (presumably the Tangled additions).

I wouldn't be surprised if Shanghai was announced, but it does seem that they'd want to make that a separate event.

With all that said, we're shining our Jim Hill Bat symbol for our show next Sunday and the agenda will be the press conference and Fantasyland.

Ignohippo

A ride (even a coaster) doesn't necessarily have to be thrilling to be entertaining. My first visit to WDW was in 1975 when I was 13, and even then I preferred Jungle Cruise to Space Mountain. I, for one, am looking forward to a well-themed Dwarf Train with a few mild thrills along with the immersion into Fantasy. Give me Disney theming and story-telling over traditional "white knuckle" rides any day.

Agreed. That's why Peter Pan is still so popular. It's an amazing attraction. No incredible technology, no huge budget to create. Just a fantastic immersive experience.

NoChesterHester

Color me excited about this, but as I said previously my expectations are Fantasyland concept art and a bit of some clarification on the projects involved (presumably the Tangled additions).

I wouldn't be surprised if Shanghai was announced, but it does seem that they'd want to make that a separate event.

With all that said, we're shining our Jim Hill Bat symbol for our show next Sunday and the agenda will be the press conference and Fantasyland.

Did you read between the lines here, do you know something, or did I miss something in this discussion? Great if true.

Ignohippo

I really have no idea what is coming next. I don't know what the plans are for Fantasyland or for the rest of WDW for that matter. However, I am fairly certain of a couple of things. #1 We need to quit worrying about what Disney's answer to HP is going to be. Quite frankly, there is absolutely nothing that can be an answer to Harry Potter, at least for the next 10-15 years. There is not a single franchise/idea around today that gets people as hyped up as the HP franchise. There is absolutely nothing that could be built at WDW that could have thousands and thousands of people as pumped as Hogwarts. Frankly, this is one area in which the Walt Disney Company made a mistake by not wanting to give up some creative control. The one thing that Disney can do is to continue to build upon the reputation that they are the best and build some attractions that would continue that legacty. They need to offer some people some things that say, "Hey, I really loved HP but wow this is place is just amazing. And how can they do that #2...kids are different today then they have ever been. Kids expectations for technology and and thrills are so much more than when we were kids. No longer can simple dark rides please little kids. Heck, I took my 5 year old nephew back in November and his favorite attraction was Tower of Terror. I dont know that SWSA adventure is something that kids today are dying to do. Nor, do I think they'd be overly thrilled with a mild-mine car ride. (BTW, whats with Disney and the runaway trains...there are other ideas out there). Kids want to see awesome..even little kids. Disney can still be family friendly but at the same time they have to realize that families have evolved and they are no longer amazed by twirling things on a medal rod.

A Star Wars land would emmasculate the poor boy wizard.

I think the hundreds of thousands of happy visitors to Small World, Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh would disagree with your comments. As a father of a small child, I'd love to see them build more new dark rides with "twirling things on metal rods". These rides have stood the test of time and I'm sure, if the exact same rides were created today, they'd still be just as popular.

I'm afraid the mindset that every new attraction needs to be groundbreaking and cost hundreds of millions of dollars is what's actually stifling creativity and keeping us from getting new attractions. Certainly TDO needs to keep aiming for those types of heights but not every new addition needs to cost more or be more technologically advanced than the competition. Theming and creativity will always trump technology.

You can spend hundreds of millions on a new groundbreaking attraction but that doesn't mean it won't be forgotten when the next amazing thing comes along.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom