Press event Tuesday, Jan. 18th.

RandySavage

Disney debuting plans for their Shanghai park at Magic Kingdom would be like Toyota inviting press to their Lima, Ohio facility to reveal plans for a new assembly plant in India. Can't see that happening (of course, here's hoping I'm wrong).

I expect the announcement to be heavily focused on the new Let the Memories Begin campaign. Expectations kept in check.

csm

Disney debuting plans for their Shanghai park at Magic Kingdom would be like Toyota inviting press to their Lima, Ohio facility to reveal plans for a new assembly plant in India. Can't see that happening (of course, here's hoping I'm wrong).

I expect the announcement to be heavily focused on the new Let the Memories Begin campaign. Expectations kept in check.

I'm not sure I see why anyone would hope for the Shanghai announcement from WDW anyway. Everyone knows Shanghai is happening. It IS confirmed. There's nothing to cross your fingers on. Why not hope for things that are NOT yet confirmed so we get something new, right?

Magenta Panther

Well, it's the Seven Dwarves Mine Coaster. So unless you are talking about a few jewels here and there from the old ride, I don't think fluffy little bunnies and creepy, moving trees would fit the picture too well.

...which has been complete for quite some time time.

:eek: I think I got a toothache from reading your overly sweetened description of the ride. :lol:

That's what it was supposed to be. In reality you really don't have time for all of that on the ride. It's more "OH! Look at that... oh, nevermind. Wait. What was that? Tommy stop covering your eyes, it's almost over."

For me it was more like "Hey, wake up, we gotta get off, other people want to ride this ride, for some reason" :snore::p

(No offense to those who love SWSA. I just love the movie, the place it has in Disney history, and think it deserves a better attraction)

RandySavage

I'm not sure I see why anyone would hope for the Shanghai announcement from WDW anyway. Everyone knows Shanghai is happening. It IS confirmed. There's nothing to cross your fingers on. Why not hope for things that are NOT yet confirmed so we get something new, right?

It's more of a hope for a plethora of WDI artwork & design details that might come with an announcement for what is rumored to be a spectacular and unique take on the Magic Kingdom model.

As I said, I think such an announcement will be made in Shanghai, with the majority owners (a Chinese syndicate) present.

Magenta Panther

Well the problem is, my friend is Dutch, so naturally he was speaking in terms of meters, and I am not a math guy. Very easy to lose me in thoughts of conversion, but he kept saying "Everest scale!"

He also made it a point to say he was surprised how intense it will be - speaking in terms of transitions between banking. No, it does not go upside down. No, it does not launch. No, it is not a powered coaster. Lift hill, gravity the whole way, true classic coaster in that sense, but he said it was much more intense looking than Thunder or Everest.

Alll riggghhhttt!!!! :sohappy:

Lee

Adventurer
don't know about the rest of you but i'm waiting with baited breath for the next post..i keep hitting refresh just hoping someone will hint at something

Like I said above, depending on what gets decided, there could be a couple more surprises. Those decisions are in Iger's hands.
If I get anything I can post...I will.

jt04

Well the problem is, my friend is Dutch, so naturally he was speaking in terms of meters, and I am not a math guy. Very easy to lose me in thoughts of conversion, but he kept saying "Everest scale!"

He also made it a point to say he was surprised how intense it will be - speaking in terms of transitions between banking. No, it does not go upside down. No, it does not launch. No, it is not a powered coaster. Lift hill, gravity the whole way, true classic coaster in that sense, but he said it was much more intense looking than Thunder or Everest.

OK, just when I was starting to believe the mine train rumor this pops up. And nobody is refuting it. This is not the rumor that has been circulating for months. And this is not changes at the fringes. I'm back in skeptical-land. :brick: If it is true though it sounds very mummy-esque and that would be awesome.

Like I said above, depending on what gets decided, there could be a couple more surprises. Those decisions are in Iger's hands.
If I get anything I can post...I will.

Cool!

csm

It's more of a hope for a plethora of WDI artwork & design details that might come with an announcement for what is rumored to be a spectacular and unique take on the Magic Kingdom model.

As I said, I think such an announcement will be made in Shanghai, with the majority owners (a Chinese syndicate) present.

That's just it though - we all want to see that art, but that art is one thing we are 100% assured to be getting in the near future. Since we already KNOW that is coming, why hope that to be this announcement, when this announcement has the unique opportunity to be something entirely different. Let the impending Shanghai announcement come, with its oodles and oodles of art and renderings and models - but no reason for it to come from WDW, when WDW could and should be the star instead.

Shanghai is a great fit for D23 Expo, which happens to be coming up later this year, is it not?

Rich1

I really have no idea what is coming next. I don't know what the plans are for Fantasyland or for the rest of WDW for that matter. However, I am fairly certain of a couple of things. #1 We need to quit worrying about what Disney's answer to HP is going to be. Quite frankly, there is absolutely nothing that can be an answer to Harry Potter, at least for the next 10-15 years. There is not a single franchise/idea around today that gets people as hyped up as the HP franchise. There is absolutely nothing that could be built at WDW that could have thousands and thousands of people as pumped as Hogwarts. Frankly, this is one area in which the Walt Disney Company made a mistake by not wanting to give up some creative control. The one thing that Disney can do is to continue to build upon the reputation that they are the best and build some attractions that would continue that legacty. They need to offer some people some things that say, "Hey, I really loved HP but wow this is place is just amazing. And how can they do that #2...kids are different today then they have ever been. Kids expectations for technology and and thrills are so much more than when we were kids. No longer can simple dark rides please little kids. Heck, I took my 5 year old nephew back in November and his favorite attraction was Tower of Terror. I dont know that SWSA adventure is something that kids today are dying to do. Nor, do I think they'd be overly thrilled with a mild-mine car ride. (BTW, whats with Disney and the runaway trains...there are other ideas out there). Kids want to see awesome..even little kids. Disney can still be family friendly but at the same time they have to realize that families have evolved and they are no longer amazed by twirling things on a medal rod.

Rich1

People of all ages want thrill rides. And by thrill rides, I dont mean your standard six flags coaster. I mean something that hasnt been done before and things that others can't copy so easily.

csm

I really have no idea what is coming next. I don't know what the plans are for Fantasyland or for the rest of WDW for that matter. However, I am fairly certain of a couple of things. #1 We need to quit worrying about what Disney's answer to HP is going to be. Quite frankly, there is absolutely nothing that can be an answer to Harry Potter, at least for the next 10-15 years. There is not a single franchise/idea around today that gets people as hyped up as the HP franchise. There is absolutely nothing that could be built at WDW that could have thousands and thousands of people as pumped as Hogwarts. Frankly, this is one area in which the Walt Disney Company made a mistake by not wanting to give up some creative control. The one thing that Disney can do is to continue to build upon the reputation that they are the best and build some attractions that would continue that legacty. They need to offer some people some things that say, "Hey, I really loved HP but wow this is place is just amazing. And how can they do that #2...kids are different today then they have ever been. Kids expectations for technology and and thrills are so much more than when we were kids. No longer can simple dark rides please little kids. Heck, I took my 5 year old nephew back in November and his favorite attraction was Tower of Terror. I dont know that SWSA adventure is something that kids today are dying to do. Nor, do I think they'd be overly thrilled with a mild-mine car ride. (BTW, whats with Disney and the runaway trains...there are other ideas out there). Kids want to see awesome..even little kids. Disney can still be family friendly but at the same time they have to realize that families have evolved and they are no longer amazed by twirling things on a medal rod.

Thanks, now for a better question - who here has been talking about Harry Potter? The pages and pages of this thread I've followed have really made no mention of it that I saw, so from this poster's pov, the only person worrying about a Harry Potter reaction seems to be you?

Rich1

Actually, there was a post earlier in the thread about whether or not this would be Disney's answer to HP. I'm not so worried about HP but it is clear that there is an underlying hope that this will be the "mythical" answer to WWoHP.

csm

If it is true though it sounds very mummy-esque and that would be awesome.

I do not think you are on the right track. Yes, the ride goes indoors at one point to go inside the mine scene, but at very best it's never been described to me as more than 1/3 indoors, 2/3 outdoors. That doesn't mean it won't be fantastic. Much more than 2/3 of Big Thunder takes place outdoors and I remain firm that it's the best themed mine train in the world today.

raven

Original Poster
(another long time lurker, first time poster here!)

Raven, the Seven Dwarves Mine Coaster isn't an overlay for the Barnstormer is it? From what you said it doesn't seem to be that way, but I thought I would inquire anyway.

No. The Great Goofini is the overlay for Barnstormer.

So, does it look like they are replacing a dark ride with no restrictions with an "intense" coaster that the whole family won't be able to ride together? I was looking forward to a nicely themed dark ride with a tiny bit of "thrill", but not something that you just speed through for thrill only.

It's going to be less thrilling than Barnstormer. So nothing to worry about.

raven

Original Poster
How is this possible? Goofy's Barnstormer only lasts around 55 seconds and isn't very thrilling at all...:hammer:

No one ever claimed it would be thrilling. It's a mix between a dark ride and a coaster, mostly indoors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom