Potter 2.0 Construction Thread

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
No I just don't think it's going to be a timeless classic.
OK...I guess nobody would know if it can stand the test of time.

I have a feeling it will though (and I'm not really a fan having never read the book(s) nor ever watched any of the movies all the way through).

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I wonder if there will ever be "Potter Conventions" in 10 years...? Like there are with Star Trek and Star Wars?

It will always be a classic. Something kids who grew up with it will share with their kids. But, I sortof agree, I think it will eventually be more akin to Lion, Witch and Wardrobe. Something that many love and cherish, but don't get overly excited for.

That being said, it's a great investment for Universal, and the more fan nods it can give, the better. I thoroughly enjoyed HP on my last trip (in August), but I was rather underwhelmed. It was fun, but needed more to really make it a "land"...so, I'm very excited for 2.0.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
An HP expansion at Universal is desperately needed. More than 2 years after opening, crowds at WWOHP continue to be like no other land at WDW or UO. Given its continued multi-generational appeal, I suspect HP will be popular long after Avatar or Disney's Cars have become faded memories. Now what is it that WDW are building at DAK and DHS?

Well, I don't know about Cars, but Avatar is certainly forgettable. Disney shouldn't even waste their money on that.

The fact is, Universal is a different park the WDW, the experience is different, and each have their strengths. I wish Imagineering and Parks Management would stop looking for a "HP Killer" and get back to basics at Disney. Quality family attractions and themed areas that make you feel like you have stepped into another world.

I hate to say it, but I walked into Universal a Disney snob this last trip, and you know what? While smaller scale, by far, they really seem to have this down.

Even if it's not a "popular franchise", what makes it work at a park is the total experience. How many modern kids below 10 have seen Dumbo? Not many, but pretty much all of them know him at the ride, etc. I don't see that same sort of character recognition at HP...what's magic there is the environment...to me. You can "pretend" you are a wizard.

I dunno, pointless ramble, I really don't have a point. I appreciate both parks.

ishmael0316

I too made my first trip to Universal since moving to Orlando a few weeks ago. I promptly bought my resident annual passes. Universal rides are so much more fun than Disney. It pains me to say that, as I am a life long Disney person. Now, I will always go to Disney because I love the stories and my princesses, but in a ride by ride comparison, I LOVE Universal. I do not feel the sentimental attachment to Universal as I do Disney, but I have a lot of fun.

JustInTime

I wonder if there will ever be "Potter Conventions" in 10 years...? Like there are with Star Trek and Star Wars?

It will always be a classic. Something kids who grew up with it will share with their kids. But, I sortof agree, I think it will eventually be more akin to Lion, Witch and Wardrobe. Something that many love and cherish, but don't get overly excited for.

That being said, it's a great investment for Universal, and the more fan nods it can give, the better. I thoroughly enjoyed HP on my last trip (in August), but I was rather underwhelmed. It was fun, but needed more to really make it a "land"...so, I'm very excited for 2.0.

No way. We have never seen a phenomenon quite like Harry Potter. It's one one of the best selling books of all time and the films have made more money than any other film franchise ever. It's lasting power will be huge. People tend to forget that the first harry potter book was released 15 years ago so it's already been big for over a decade. It's not going anywhere.

Magenta Panther

Yeah, because being a piece of culture that spans generations for 15 years happens all of the time.

I agree. The books aren't on the level of Alice in Wonderland, the Chronicles of Narnia or Lord of the Rings in terms of literary quality, but I really really sincerely doubt they'll ever go out of print. So in some way WWoHP will indeed be timeless.

HTF

The new walkway opened today and the construction fences have been moved as well. Now that second tower crane should begin to rise soon.

disney fan 13

I saw pictures somebody posted regarding the faded paint on their visit...and I went to see for myself and I have to say that it was quite obvious Unuversal has recently touched up paint in Seuss Kanding. The hat went from almost pink back to red, I noticed the track for the Train ride shining in the sun, and the entry way pillars were also bright agsin. Uni does the maintenance. I think they repaint every year.

From recent updates it seems MSHI is getting some work done as well...

No way. We have never seen a phenomenon quite like Harry Potter. It's one one of the best selling books of all time and the films have made more money than any other film franchise ever. It's lasting power will be huge. People tend to forget that the first harry potter book was released 15 years ago so it's already been big for over a decade. It's not going anywhere.

Personally I feel the land(s) will actually help keep everything relevant. to the poster that stated they never watched the movies or read the books and then became hooked on them after riding the ride and seeing the land, I know of several people (including my father) that are the same way. when i was a kid reading the books I tried to convince my father to read them. he would laugh and say he does't read fantasy books. now Hedwig's theme is his ring tone. My parents both work for disney and they will not go to the parks at all, convincing visiting friends and relatives that UNI is much more worth it. with all the construction going on for the next few years at least its the only new stuff coming (besides seaworld but for how they procure the animals there i will not go to ever)

Back on OT, the thing i can't fathom is, with springfield going in and london being constructed, how are they going to theme the area around MIB and what was the WWWSS (Fear Factor)? how is it going to mesh? I like the Idea of these more thoroughly themed mini lands getting put in but that just leaves the areas that are untouched look worse. what would they do with the FF stage? build something for london or expand on MIB, or something completely new? Any one got some insight?

Mrs.Toad

Just a quick question about Universal Studios.

I know that the Amity area and Jaws is gone, but I was wondering if they are going to ditch the other San Fransisco inspired places too. For example, Lombard's Landing, Richter's burgers, etc...

lazyboy97o

Just a quick question about Universal Studios.

I know that the Amity area and Jaws is gone, but I was wondering if they are going to ditch the other San Fransisco inspired places too. For example, Lombard's Landing, Richter's burgers, etc...
As of right now, they are staying.

BJCool232

Universal Orlando now has FOUR tower cranes on property: two for Diagon Alley, one for Transformers, and now one for Hogsmeade Station.

From @bioreconstruct

i1iL2prYB9gmA.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom