Possible Refurb of the Contemporary

Dizknee_Phreek

Slosh said:
Although I doubt any of them haven't had apple pie (being French), or a hamburger (being German).
That's probably true for the most part. But if you look at it that way, then there's very few foods that originated in America. Corn, maybe?

Slosh

Woody13 said:
The only thing more American than apple pie is French fries. :D

haha, well actually... from a purely historical standpoint, potatoes are a new world crop... the word French just has to do with the way they're cut, not the country :animwink:

I don't intend to start any kind of long-lasting debate on food here, I just have a pre-existing debate going on with my brother - I'm from a fairly ethnic Greek family, but hes an incredibly picky eater, I suppose it just bothers me somehow. But anyways, carry on, I love the Contemporary, dirty and Jetsons-esque as it may be. And California Grill is some of the best food I've ever had, I try to stop there every time I'm in town. If we lost that, I don't know what I'd do.

Stitchfan712

I couldn't live without California Grill!!

That restaurant collectively defeats every single restaurant in WDW, in my opinion. Surpassing even the best of World Showcase.

Is that why the contemporary is so ugly? :zipit: sorry!

But really, I think it is a massive grey blotch on the landscape. But inside, I agree is pretty cool, even if the choices of colour are very dated. :) And I love the way the floor actually moves up and down when the monorail comes in! Did anyone else notice that? It would be such a bore if they strengthened the floors!

slappy magoo

First thing I'd change is the name. From the moment it's refurbished (even before refurbishment is complete), the "Contemporary" starts to belie its name. To truly be contemporary, it would need to be redone far more frequently than it's economically feasible to do. Since it was one of the first hotels (with the most muted theme), call it the "Premier." Don't even try to wedge a theme into it; let it be the one hotel near the MK for people who would like to be close to the action but don't need the characters or a theme to enjoy themselves. But losing the name would be the first step towards making the hotel seem less anachronistic.

Lauriebar

slappy magoo said:
First thing I'd change is the name. From the moment it's refurbished (even before refurbishment is complete), the "Contemporary" starts to belie its name. To truly be contemporary, it would need to be redone far more frequently than it's economically feasible to do. Since it was one of the first hotels (with the most muted theme), call it the "Premier." Don't even try to wedge a theme into it; let it be the one hotel near the MK for people who would like to be close to the action but don't need the characters or a theme to enjoy themselves. But losing the name would be the first step towards making the hotel seem less anachronistic.

I certainly do not believe that a name change is neccessary. Traditionally Modern style is classic. Using neutral colors on the walls and floors, while using color accents on furniture and artwork is classic contemporary style. There would be no need to totally update every few years, only little changes to keep the decor fresh. To me, it is the monorails entering and exiting the hotel which is the cornerstone for the theme of the resort. This feature is what truely gives the building its modern theme. Contemporary means of the present time, not futuristic, so the whole space age theme is really unneccessary.

slappy magoo

Lauriebar said:
I certainly do not believe that a name change is neccessary. Traditionally Modern style is classic. Using neutral colors on the walls and floors, while using color accents on furniture and artwork is classic contemporary style. There would be no need to totally update every few years, only little changes to keep the decor fresh. To me, it is the monorails entering and exiting the hotel which is the cornerstone for the theme of the resort. This feature is what truely gives the building its modern theme. Contemporary means of the present time, not futuristic, so the whole space age theme is really unneccessary.

I understand the definition of Contemporary Design in architecture (with a Capital C), and I understand the Contemporary means that it's "of the now," not what will be. But that's the problem, there are inherently two definitions of "Contemporary" and I think most folks associate the word to be reflective of today's standards or styles. So many people will always look at the Contemporary and say "What's so contemporary about it?" the same way they used to joke that Tomorrow Land was Yesterday Land before it was overhauled. And the longer it's been since there was a renovation, the more those comments will ring true. I just think that changing the name of the hotel, to something as prestigious-sounding as the "Contemporary" will solve more problems than cause.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don`t think there are any problems to solve anyway, apart from regular refurbs any decent hotel needs. If a name change was needed how about its original pre opening name? Tempo Bay Resort. Now.... was it Bay Lake or Seven Seas that would have been called Tempo??

On second thoughts, Tempo sound too much like Temporary - and we know how much TWDC of today likes to close things :lol:

Lauriebar

slappy magoo said:
I understand the definition of Contemporary Design in architecture (with a Capital C), and I understand the Contemporary means that it's "of the now," not what will be. But that's the problem, there are inherently two definitions of "Contemporary" and I think most folks associate the word to be reflective of today's standards or styles. So many people will always look at the Contemporary and say "What's so contemporary about it?" the same way they used to joke that Tomorrow Land was Yesterday Land before it was overhauled. And the longer it's been since there was a renovation, the more those comments will ring true. I just think that changing the name of the hotel, to something as prestigious-sounding as the "Contemporary" will solve more problems than cause.

First of all, the "c" in contemporary design would only be capitalized if it were the name of a college course or magazine. Secondly, my post was not an attack or analysis of your post. It was simply my thoughts on your idea to change the resorts name.

Slosh

"...keeping with a school of thought that seems to have been dismissed by the early 1980s...that hotels on the Seven Seas Lagoon would serve as extended backdrops for the lands on the southern side of the Magic Kingdom. The Contemporary sits behind Tomorrowland, the Polynesian behind Adventureland. The Asian would also fall behind Adventureland, helping to maintain a broad but subtle sense of order."
http://home.cfl.rr.com/omniluxe/asian.htm

I lifted this off a nice article at Widen Your World about the Asian, one of the hotels that never was... Even though the Floridian entirely ruined this setup, maybe the Contemporary should have been/be remodeled to match Tomorrowland better?

ogryn

I'd like to see the Contempory updated to match current Tomorrowland status, as it is my favourite land at any Disneypark I've been to. Swooping Curves, and blue neon... put silver panelling over the dull concrete.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
ogryn said:
I'd like to see the Contempory updated to match current Tomorrowland status, as it is my favourite land at any Disneypark I've been to. Swooping Curves, and blue neon... put silver panelling over the dull concrete.
if that came true then we would need to change the name from the "Contemporary" to something like "Club WDW" or "Building that resembles club in SouthBeach" :lol:

but i do love tomorrowland design. one of my favorite as well

Empress Room

Why Now?

Before the complete overhaul that the Contemporary received several years ago (including the addition of its convention center), I wholeheartedly agree that its interior design was dated and needed refurbishment. I'm a little perplexed now, however, that Disney is rumored to be redesigning the hotel yet again.

The new color schemes and stainless steel designs were chosen to be timeless - and although somewhat funky, they certainly accomplish that goal. The lobby looks a hundred times better than before the refurb and the California Grill is very cutting edge and trendy.

Other than cleaning and replacing some carpet and fabrics, I think money could be better spent fixing up other areas or resorts.

Jusjuice

The idea of a botique style hotel is great to me. I think one of the most outdated parts of the resort is *GASP* the Mary Blair tile mural in the middle of the concourse. The colors and style are SO 60's. If it wasn't for the sentimental value, it would have been removed long ago. I know that if they removed it though, we'd have a whole army of people with nothing better to do, picketing, though. I think the shops and resturaunts could use a redesign as well, because most of the look is still left over from the 70's. I think the California Grill could use a name change more than a redesign, as it doesn't exactly lend itself to trendy. (It sounds like a food court resturaunt.)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Jusjuice said:
I think the California Grill could use a name change more than a redesign, as it doesn't exactly lend itself to trendy. (It sounds like a food court resturaunt.)
totally agree. it sounds like something that would be in a shack on the beach. i dont think fine dining when i hear that name. arent plates like $25-$50? it needs to be dressed up (the name)

Empress Room

If it ain't broke...

jmaxwell007 said:
totally agree. it sounds like something that would be in a shack on the beach. i dont think fine dining when i hear that name. arent plates like $25-$50? it needs to be dressed up (the name)

California Grill has and is winning numerous culinary awards for both its menu and its interior design. It may very well be the most adventurous eating experience on property. As such, Disney may wish to proceed with caution on any aesthetic redesign or change in its menu/experience. The restaurant transformed the Contemporary from its 70s "Broadway at the Top" antiquated guest experience to a very popular destination for locals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom