Possible Refurb of the Contemporary

Lauriebar

Empress Room said:
California Grill has and is winning numerous culinary awards for both its menu and its interior design. It may very well be the most adventurous eating experience on property. As such, Disney may wish to proceed with caution on any aesthetic redesign or change in its menu/experience. The restaurant transformed the Contemporary from its 70s "Broadway at the Top" antiquated guest experience to a very popular destination for locals.

Exactly! The name California Grill refers to the California style of cooking, which is quite trendy. Its hard to find any bad reviews for this restaraunt and every time I have been there is not an empty table to be found. It is one of the best dining experiences I have ever had because of the combination of atmosphere, view, menu and food quality. For these reasons I agree that any major change is completely unneccessary.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Empress Room said:
California Grill has and is winning numerous culinary awards for both its menu and its interior design. It may very well be the most adventurous eating experience on property. As such, Disney may wish to proceed with caution on any aesthetic redesign or change in its menu/experience. The restaurant transformed the Contemporary from its 70s "Broadway at the Top" antiquated guest experience to a very popular destination for locals.
well that is great and all about the awards and experience, but i was refering to the name of the joint. i think it sounds like a casual (jimi buffet esk) eatery on the side of the road in FLA

Empress Room

jmaxwell007 said:
well that is great and all about the awards and experience, but i was refering to the name of the joint. i think it sounds like a casual (jimi buffet esk) eatery on the side of the road in FLA

I understand that your personal opinion is that you don't care for the name "California Grill." That's fine. Others (patrons, food critics, locals) obviously disagree. The problem with changing it is that the name carries incredible goodwill at this point - it is synonymous with a fine dining experience of excellent food in an eclectic setting. Why would you want to lose all that by changing the name?

joel_maxwell

Lauriebar said:
Exactly! The name California Grill refers to the California style of cooking, which is quite trendy.
oh, i wasnt to familiar with the style of food, but if it is a trendy Cali style then the word California needs to be in it. i guess i associate the word "grill" a little casually. probably because we have 2 right down the street and i cant get the mental image of those out of my head. lol

Empress Room said:
I understand that your personal opinion is that you don't care for the name "California Grill." That's fine. Others (patrons, food critics, locals) obviously disagree. The problem with changing it is that the name carries incredible goodwill at this point - it is synonymous with a fine dining experience of excellent food in an eclectic setting. Why would you want to lose all that by changing the name?
oh, to be honest i could really careless, i just thought id throw that in there. in my humble opinion, i dont go for the name and it wouldnt detur (sp?) me from going back if they changed or kept the same.

not really an issue

mrtoad

I have never stayed there but always to at least once per trip to eat. I really like the place. I still like the old glass trees they had on the concourse in the past though.

chancellor

I have stayed there and, to be honest, it needs a refurb. Although the rooms were redone fairly recently, the buildings themselves are really showing their age. And a lot of people don't like the redone rooms - they think they're too gaudy and overdone. If you're paying for a deluxe, you should feel like you're in a premium resort, not a cartoon. I can also remember at least two threads on this board in the past year where the main building flooded due to plumbing problems.

There's really no way to change the overall archetecture of the building (nor would I want them to), so any change will have to be retrofitted over the giant A-frame. And who knows what they'll do with the Mary Blair murals - they're practically historical landmarks.

mrtoad

Lauriebar said:
Exactly! The name California Grill refers to the California style of cooking, which is quite trendy. Its hard to find any bad reviews for this restaraunt and every time I have been there is not an empty table to be found. It is one of the best dining experiences I have ever had because of the combination of atmosphere, view, menu and food quality. For these reasons I agree that any major change is completely unneccessary.

It is one of our favorites on the property to eat at. On our upcoming trip we do not have a PS there as we thought we should try some new stuff but I am having second thoughts about that...

Lauriebar

mrtoad said:
It is one of our favorites on the property to eat at. On our upcoming trip we do not have a PS there as we thought we should try some new stuff but I am having second thoughts about that...

We have vowed to have a meal there on every trip from now on!! However, we have tried pretty much every restaraunt at WDW so our curiousity has been satisfied. There is just no beating having a wonderful meal then going out on one balcony to watch Illuminations from afar then crossing over to the other end of the hotel to have a bird's eye view of Wishes while the music from the show is being piped over the outside speakers!!

mrtoad

Lauriebar said:
We have vowed to have a meal there on every trip from now on!! However, we have tried pretty much every restaraunt at WDW so our curiousity has been satisfied. There is just no beating having a wonderful meal then going out on one balcony to watch Illuminations from afar then crossing over to the other end of the hotel to have a bird's eye view of Wishes while the music from the show is being piped over the outside speakers!!

It really is beautiful. Last time we had the best seat in the house. Window seat closest to the MK. Really great. On our first trip we had one issue, we stood up to watch the fireworks and somepeople came and stood right next to our table. After a while we sat back down and hoped to eat and watch and some woman was so close to my side of the table I could not even use my fork as she was right on top of my plate. Now we don't stand up.

Robfasto

I got this information from in engineer friend at Disney who has never lead me wrong.

It's not entirely true... Every room at the Contemporary is scheduled to be refurbished with a much more "contemporary" style, including the North and South Annex buildings. I've also heard the DVC rumor, but nothing is going to be torn down. The Contemporary Resort is on the National Register of Historic Buildings, so it cannot be torn down.

Just thought I would share.

Lauriebar

I thought that a building had to be at least 50 years old to be considered for the National Historic Buidings registry? Unless, there is an exceptional case(which I doubt the Contemporary would be considered as). Can your friend provide documentation? Does anyone on the boards have a confirmation of this?

s25843

Lauriebar said:
I thought that a building had to be at least 50 years old to be considered for the National Historic Buidings registry? Unless, there is an exceptional case(which I doubt the Contemporary would be considered as). Can your friend provide documentation? Does anyone on the boards have a confirmation of this?

I did a search on the agency's website, and came up with nothing.

Lauriebar

s25843 said:
I did a search on the agency's website, and came up with nothing.

I did the same thing. I just would like some confirmation on this because I don't believe that Disney would ever allow one of its building to be placed on the registry. Why would they want to answer to the government if they didn't have to?

Woody13

Lauriebar said:

You are right Lauriebar. The Contemporary is not on the National Register list because it is not yet eligible. Even if it did meet the criteria (50 years, etc.) it would then have to be nominated and the owner (Disney) would have to approve. In short, it ain't gonna happen.

Robfasto

Sorry about the confussion, after a phone conversation and email it is my understanding that Disney has been approached about placing the Contemporary Resort on the Nation Registry.

This is from someone who does have access to a lot of information and places where he has sent me pictures from the balcony of Walt's Apartment in the Castle looking down Main Street and most recently on-site picture from Hong Kong Disneyland. With clearence that he can take anyone he pleases most anyplace on property which I do know from personal experence when we went back stage in 4 parks in 1 hour which also included a on-set tour of Pirates.

Here is a copy of his last email...
Okay... Let me rephrase that. I was told by a very reputable source (the only reputable source within the Contemporary) that it is on the National Register. I have not confirmed that myself because 1. Like I said... it was a reputable source, and 2. It never was of any real importance to any of my projects.

I do know, however, that there is nothing in Disney's 15-year Master Planning schedule regarding demolition of any of the buildings encompassed within the Contemporary Resort complex. Beyond minor on-going refurbishments and repairs, the only major work is the room rehabs (which are very cool by the way... kind of modern/art deco with plasma screen TVs, etc...) which has not yet begun. Only one room in the South Annex has been done... as a "pilot" room for showing.

Pioneer Hall

I'm glad that the Contemporary will be getting some work done. It needs the rehab, and has to get itself out of the space age future. It will be nice to see the place get a good rehab and Disney can probably get more revenue from this. Nicer rooms, never resort, higher prices...it all works for them.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
I would think that Job 1 would be the overall cleanliness of the exterior of the buildings. Im not sure what the composition of the wall surfaces are, but things look pretty bad from outside. From the Monorail you can really see some of the darker areas where the water runoff is, and many other spots that are simply not aging well in the Florida sun.

I think a subdued room rehab would be great. Leave the design to something that doesnt overpower the sense and keep the futuristic feel with gadgets like the flatscreen tv's and other bits of technology.

With as much convention traffic as the resort gets I might even consider having only a certain percentage of rooms that would be styled to the family with younger children and keep most of the rooms to a business level quality and feel.

Beyond all of that, I agree with everyone else who has stated that the biggest factor working against the Contemporary is the very name which determines its theming. Never in the history of man have we experienced changes as to what is "contemporary" so quickly. In light of this scenario, if you desire to actually stay on top one would have to consider rehabs ever couple of years. If you were to depart from this standard I would also agree with those who proposed the "Future that never happened..." theme. It would be the easiest way to escape the constant pressure of having to keep up while retaining an overall theme which would give a sentimental look at the future.

Either way....Its a tough call.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The Contemp still cuts it appearence wise - the worlds largest A Frame structure, with an open atrium, lit by natural light from above and both ends, twin monorail tracks running through it.... we are probably very blase (spl) about it now, but remember the first time we rode a monorail to the MK? I would think first time guests still get that feeling. Any heavily trafficked building needs a lot of maintainence (offices and hotels the real world over) - especially one so large and unprotected. On 7SL you have the GFR, the Poly - both readily identifiable theming wise - and then a hotel that is certainly not from today. Keep it as it is, just keep on top of it.

BTW - what happened to the floodlighting that used to illuminate the four end coloumns (North and South ends) of the tower?

joel_maxwell

Robfasto said:
This is from someone who does have access to a lot of information and places where he has sent me pictures from the balcony of Walt's Apartment in the Castle looking down Main Street and most recently on-site picture from Hong Kong Disneyland. With clearence that he can take anyone he pleases most anyplace on property which I do know from personal experence when we went back stage in 4 parks in 1 hour which also included a on-set tour of Pirates.
[/color][/size]
ummmmmmm, on behalf of everybody at wdwmagic (at least the little folks like me who never been backstage) welcome, and where are these photos!!!!!!!!!! must see!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom