Possible Refurb of the Contemporary

Woody13

They are going to demolish one of the garden wings at the Contemporary and turn that into a DVC resort. If sales go well (they will) then the rest of the resort is up for grabs by the DVC as well.

TravisMT81

Woody13 said:
They are going to demolish one of the garden wings at the Contemporary and turn that into a DVC resort. If sales go well (they will) then the rest of the resort is up for grabs by the DVC as well.

they will never do that because they make way to much revenue from conventions.

Woody13

TravisMT81 said:
they will never do that because they make way to much revenue from conventions.

That's true, right now. The future may hold the promise of a different pattern. Never say never. :wave:

Dizknee_Phreek

Why would they make all of Contemp DVC when they haven't made any of the others all DVC? Of course, the only two all DVC resorts are the two that were planned that way from the get-go (SS and OKW). I can understand making part of the tower and one of the wings DVC, but not all of it. I've, of course, never seen official numbers, but I'm sure Travis is right, they make too much revenue off of conventions and non-DVC guests.
Anyway, as far as the rehab, I welcome it! I typically hate change, especially when it comes to things I've grown up with, but Contemp badly needs a pick-me-up. It seems to have lost that Disney sparkle (Contemp not being the only thing on property that has lost that, of course, though), imo.
As for the Epcot refurbs, I welcome that as well. Especially the American restaurant...it's by far the poorest themed restaurant in all of WS. So something's gotta be done there.

Slosh

while I believe parts of the Contemporary are dirty, and its not the most heavily themed resort around, I think thats what makes it unique. I wouldn't have any real problem with a major revamp though.
I think we might as well just leave the fast food joint in the America Pavilion alone though - with all the great ethnic cuisines available around the rest of the lagoon, I can't even fathom why anyone would stop there for a burger. But I guess some people just need to have McDonalds quality food no matter where they are. Dressing it up or making it a nicer place wouldn't do anything, except maybe bring it up to TGI Fridays standards. Theres enough other American Contemporary restaurants around property, I'd even include Le Cellier in the list and thats only a 5 minute walk.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Slosh said:
I can't even fathom why anyone would stop there for a burger.

As much as I don`t like to say it, by the time we reach the American pavilion we are ready to eat - and the burger and fries is fine since a) we only usually have 2 weeks to see Orlando and all it parks (I know...USF as well!) and b) also we can`t really budget for a `proper` meal. By all means add another option, but keep what is there, there. Its never empty at peak times either, so something must be right!

Ringo8n24

The color themes and patterns in the Contemporary rooms are a bit too busy for me. I want to stay there so bad just once, but the pictures I have seen of the rooms are too weird for me. I think of Austin Powers movies when I see that and I do not think I could wake up to that each day. You could do something modern, but with more sleek coloring and stainless steel items like what was at AE.

Slosh

marni1971 said:
we can`t really budget for a `proper` meal.

almost every one of the pavilions (except Canada?) has a counter service restaurant where you can pick up a quick meal, in addition to their sitdown restaurants. They're all fairly inexpensive, and at least its not the same food you see over and over at MK -- if you're up for something different at least.

Disneydreaming

Slosh said:
while I believe parts of the Contemporary are dirty, and its not the most heavily themed resort around, I think thats what makes it unique. I wouldn't have any real problem with a major revamp though.
I think we might as well just leave the fast food joint in the America Pavilion alone though - with all the great ethnic cuisines available around the rest of the lagoon, I can't even fathom why anyone would stop there for a burger. But I guess some people just need to have McDonalds quality food no matter where they are. Dressing it up or making it a nicer place wouldn't do anything, except maybe bring it up to TGI Fridays standards. Theres enough other American Contemporary restaurants around property, I'd even include Le Cellier in the list and thats only a 5 minute walk.

But your typical kid doesn't usually want ethnic foods (and picky adults as well), so I think it would be better to keep the American Pavilion where its at and just add another sit down restaurant next to it.

Dukeis#1

I'm one of the people that enjoy the Contemporary's retro-modern feel. I love the monorail coming through the 4th floor and the resturant next to the tracks. And the giant mural also in that area.

If they ever remodel it, I hope they try to keep some of the old atmosphere.

TinkerBell9988

rogerrabbitfan9 said:
I really don't think that they should change the Contemporary. It really has a emotional appeal on me.

I agree with you :) Although, there is one thing: The Food and Fun Centre... especially when my kid brother wants to stay there til 2 in the morning! :animwink:

bkw86

We've done Chef Mickey's several times with our kids. The last time in 2003 I noticed how dirty it was. It definitely needs a rehab.

Dizknee_Phreek

Disneydreaming said:
But your typical kid doesn't usually want ethnic foods (and picky adults as well), so I think it would be better to keep the American Pavilion where its at and just add another sit down restaurant next to it.
Unfortunately, I don't think there's room for a table service restaurant next to the American Pavilion (unless you take out the garden by the shop...still, I think that area's too small).
I'm a very picky eater, myself...always have been. I don't have much of a problem with them offering burgers, hot dogs, and fries. But I've never liked how the other countries offer food reflecting their culture...burgers and fries don't say much about our culture, if you ask me. I'd personally love to see a bakery added in somewhere there (whether to the exsisting menu or take out the garden and add a small building) that offers classic American baked goods: cookies, brownies, but most importantly, pies (what's more American than apple pie?). But I also think they should extend the existing menu and offer a bigger variety of foods.

Slosh

Disneydreaming said:

I've got no problem with the American Pavilion staying where it is and doing what it does, I see the restaurant as a great place for foreigners visiting Epcot to get a taste of American fast food without having to find a McDonalds. Although I doubt any of them haven't had apple pie (being French), or a hamburger (being German). But as an American, whens the last time anyone here really had French or German food, other than a burger and a pie? I guess thats what makes Epcot beautiful...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom